Sacramento in January

Search

Sacramento in January

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sacramento in January

I'm following my spouse on a work trip to Sacramento and bringing our 8yr old. We'll have 3 full days, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Any suggestions or recommendations of fun things to do w a child? I read something about Pipeworks, a gym for rock climbing. Any thoughts on this? Is it doable as a visitor?
Also, our child has requested the opportunity to go skiing (or sledding, snowboarding, etc...). Where is a good place to go?(assuming there is snow!) I know Tahoe isn't that far away, but specifically, where would we go? And can we rent all the equipment we need for such an adventure?
Thanks for any information!
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 08:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There has been next to no snow for months so skiing/snow boarding won't very good and mostly only at a few resorts around Lake Tahoe than make their own snow. Tahoe isn't that far away but you are talking a two hour drive each way - a long way to go IMO for such poor snow conditions.

The first thing I'd recommend is the State Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento -- Great for kids and adults. A five star attraction for sure. http://www.csrmf.org

Another place - out in the northern suburbs is the air and space museum http://www.sasmuseum.com

I haven't been to Pipeworks - but drive right past it every time I come back from downtown. It is not in a great neighborhood - sort of around the block from the Loaves & Fishes charity that feeds homeless by the hundreds. But I'm sure they have some sort of security -- the main thing is to not wander around the neighborhood.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 08:59 PM

Meant to add -- IF we get lucky and have some snow (not expected in the next week+ at least) -- then the drive up to Tahoe would take twice as long and require chains.

Sacramento temps have been in the high 60's for weeks and is expected to continue for at least a while. What I'd maybe suggest is renting bikes a riding the American River bike trail. More than 30 miles long - from downtown Sacramento to Folsom http://www.traillink.com/trail/ameri...al-trail).aspx
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 06:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Good advice from janisj.If it does snow in the Sierras, you could take a Capitol Corridor train to Truckee. Check this website. http://www.truckee.com/explore/play/Winter+Activities
If you can, try a tour through the California state capitol or at least the capitol grounds.
I spent a little over 2 hours in the California Railroad museum on December 18. The rest of Old Town Sacramento is interesting too.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Train takes too long to get to Truckee and you would have to spend the night. Not worth it for your time in Sacramento.

The zoo is small but nice and in the winter the animals are more lively. Fairytale Town is nice, but you child may be a little old for it.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 08:18 AM

True -- taking the train to Truckee makes no sense at all. Unless you wanted to visit Truckee instead of Sacramento and stay over night.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the helpful information and suggestions. I suspicioned the snow issue since I'm seeing temps for Truckee in the 50's. Playing in the snow is a huge incentive to us going!! However, temps in the upper 60's is still a nice change for us this time of year.
Since the weather is nice, is a drive up to Lake Tahoe for some hiking or just to see the area worth the drive? Not to diminish Sacramento, just thought since we'll be this close to the lake I'd hate to miss my chance to visit.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is where we used to take our daughter. Not much going on though.

http://kingvaleresort.com/

This is just before Truckee. If you have time, you could go up for the day and have lunch in Truckee. About an hour and a half drive, one way, from Sacramento.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 02:27 PM

That is a good idea - just for a trip to the mountains -- go to Truckee and see Donner Lake. Have a nice lunch and then head back. Boreal Ridge http://www.rideboreal.com/winter/index.html just before the summit makes snow so you can try for sledding at Kingvale and snow boarding at Boreal - but I'd only do that if you run out of things you want to do in Sacramento.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Sounds great! Thank you for all the suggestions and information. We're kind of outdoorsy, so maybe we'll do Sacramento Thursday, Friday and a quick trip to the mountains Saturday. Of course, we'll see how it all goes when we get there!!
Thanks again!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 07:39 AM
Kal

You could go up I-80 and get off at Soda Springs and take Historic Hwy 40 over the old Donner Summit. Awesome view and with the weather you might see some rock climbing going on.
You can come down and skirt the North side of Donner Lake then take 89 down to Tahoe, maybe stopping at Squaw Valley and a trip up to High Camp.

Ditto janis' rec on Mac's American River Bike Trail.u
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 08:05 AM
Kal

I hate auto correct. American River.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 08:20 AM

I second the Old Town Sacramento area idea. It's next to the train museum.

If you want to drive about 45 miles west, the Jelly Belly factory is in Fairfield. Free tours, nice gift shop, lots of large "pictures" made out of jelly beans.

Not so much for a child but for you, Vacaville (30 miles west) has an outlet mall and the Napa area is about an hour west from Sacramento.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Tempting as it is, I won't make a Napa trip this time.. and I'm fortunate to say we've been there! It's been about 10 yrs, though... My gosh, time flies!

The kiddo was reading the replies along w me and sure likes the Jelly Belly suggestion... We'll see how our time goes.

Thanks everyone for great information!
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj and MichelleY for your suggestions and information. After some investigating, I believe we'll be able to tube at Boreal. Might be better than trying to board on fake snow (aka..ice!)
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 09:13 AM

Don't know if you are in Sacramento this weekend, but Marshall Gold Discovery Park is having a reenactment day this Friday.

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/

Have fun in Sacramento!