Rye Playland

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:23 AM
mara

Rye Playland

Planning to revisit the scene of many fun summers past with my kids when we're in NY.
How is Rye Playland these days?
Do you know of anyplace I can get discount coupons , either in Manhattan where we are staying, or somewhere near Playland when we drive up there?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:07 PM
Judy

Haven't been in a few years (it was fine then), but just a bit a trivia--did you realize that in the movie Big w/Tom Hanks, the scene near the end where he finds the fortune telling machine again was filmed on the Rye Playland boardwalk.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:47 PM
KF

I don't think there are discounts as admission is free and you just pay for rides.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Merilee

Mara, the Dragon Coaster is still there along with many new "thrill" rides...I don't know what years you spent there, but it's changed to appeal to a different generation...it's okay, though, but it does get crowded and some of the people are loud and rowdy...I don't know of any discount coupons...admission is still free...$20.00 will buy you 24 ride tickets and each ride is 2 to 4 tickets...Kiddyland rides are 2 tickets each...parking is $5.00 Tuesday thru Friday, $7.00 Saturday and Sunday, and it's $10.00 on July 4th and Labor Day...the beach and the pool are still open and you can still walk on the boardwalk and look out onto the Long Island Sound...the boardwalk is where Tom Hanks goes to get back his youth from the wish machine at the end of Big...if you drive over the George Washington Bridge heading into New Jersey and look down and to your right that small square area sticking out into the river is where the actual carnival scene in the beginning of the movie was filmed...the house is on Greenmount Avenue in Cliffside Park, New Jersey...anyway, I hope you have a happy time at Rye Playland.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:11 PM
mara

Thanks. I know that admission is free but a friend of mine went a couple of years ago and found a coupon (from a newspaper or fast food place) that gave something like $3 or $5 off each book of tickets.
She never sees them in Manhattan but says she thought it might be in some local Westchester papers or the restaurants near there, so I thought maybe someone here has seen them.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:32 PM
Postal

Thanks, Merilee and Judy, I've been telling my kids all these years that it's Rye Playland in the movie Big and I was only guessing!