RVing from Colorado

Aug 24th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

RVing from Colorado

My best friend just moved to Colorado and we are planning an RV trip next summer. Are there any RVers out there that can steer us in the right direction? We have about 10 days and we want to drive west and camp out in a national park or two.

Also, what's it like driving one of those RVs through mountains?

I would love ANY information about RVing that you are willing to provide. Thank you

Jessica in New York

Aug 24th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Rocky Mountain National Park is great -lots of RV parks/campgrounds around Estes Park area. Colorado Springs area is also good for RV's, not sure about driving an RV up Pike's Peak though. Mesa Verde National Park has a campground, and you can take tours of the ruins. Black Canyon of the Gunnison (South Rim) and the Salida area would also be good. Leadville/Buena Vista area is beautiful, with lots of places to camp.

Have you ever been to the mountains? Do you like to hike? I'm guessing you want to see your friend for a day or two - where does he/she live? Do you prefer to be around lots of people/near a town, or would you rather be in quieter locations with not as many people? Do you like history, shopping, fine dining, animal watching, trains? Will you be driving the RV all the way from NY? I'll be glad to help!
Aug 24th, 2004, 06:42 AM

One more suggestion - you might try posting this under the "Colorado" forum to get more responses.
Aug 24th, 2004, 07:51 AM

If you really want to find a large group of RV'ers then I would post your question over on the RV.net forum.

http://www.rv.net/forum/

We have a 23 foot motorhome and we've been everywhere beckers has mentioned in it. We would have driven up Pikes Peak in it, but our motorhome is getting a little to old and tired for that kind of driving. I've never driven the motorhome but DH doesn't mind driving in the mountains and I love being driven though the mountains.

Also in Colorado is Colorado National Monument with a nice campground. Between Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and Mesa Verde is Hwy 550 which is also know as the Million Dollar Highway with beautiful scenery between Ouray, Silverton and Durango.

Not far from Colorado is Utah. Just off I-70 is Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse State Park.

Of course in 10 days you can not see all of this. You will have to narrow down the choices. Just be aware that driving a motorhome can be a little slower than driving a car. Do you know what size and the age of the RV?

Utahtea
Aug 24th, 2004, 05:07 PM

I second Utahtea's advice to check out www.rv.net/forums

When you say west are you saying western Colorado or west OF Colorado?

Two state parks I can recommend are Mueller S.P. just west of Colorado Springs and Ridgway S.P. north of Ouray. Two awesome areas.

Rocky Mountain National Park is great to visit, even though the campgrounds are crowded. Try to stay in Loop C of Moraine Park in the park.

A good book to have is Colorado Campgrounds by Gil Folsum.

There are lots of good national forest campgrounds as well. They usually don't have hook ups but your RV will be self contained. You will have power, propane, water, and sewer tanks.