Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What can you tell me about southern Wyoming?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Scott

Next summer my family (with pre-teen)are going to visit friends in Boulder and Copper Mountain. We have about 3-4 days not accounted for and would like to go somewhere memorable. My choice is to stay in Colorado (such as Aspen) or visit S. Wyoming, if it is worthwhile. Except for the Grand Tetons, I have not heard anything about the area north of Denver (vicinity of Cheyenne). Are there areas worth seeing and hotels that are noteworthy. Jackson Hole is way to far away for this trip

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Boring

BORING!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Syv

Rocky Mountain National Park (just north of Denver)

www.nps.gov/parks
also shows Dinosaur area on northwest side top corner of Colorado. I haven't been there but might be something your child is interest in.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Connie

I can't recommend anything in southern Wyoming.

There's so much to see in Colorado. Do a search. You will read a lot about Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, Black Canyon. It's some of the prettiest part of the U.S. Rockies.

Seems perfect for your time and family.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Utahtea

S. Wyoming is boring rolling hills. Stay in Colorado. If you want some beautiful mountain scenery drive Hwy 82 over Independence Pass near Aspen. Drop down to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Rocky Mountain National Park is near Boulder.

Utahtea

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:44 AM
travellyn

The Snowy Range mountains in southern Wyoming are fantastic! They are between Laramie and Centennial, I believe. I like them better than RMNP, and they are not heavily visited. Last time I was there was probably 8 years ago, but at that time, a "heavily used trail" had 300 people on it per season; moderate was only 30.

My husband and I camped there (at around 10,000 feet) for a couple of days, and also enjoyed the hot springs near Centennial. No hotels in these mountains; I guess Centennial would have something. If your friends have camping equipment you can borrow, take your kids there for a great experience.