Where to go in Colorado?

Search

Where to go in Colorado?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go in Colorado?

We are planning a trip to Colorado the beginning of August and cann't decide where to go. We were thinking of either the Durango area, Colorado Springs area or maybe Estes Park. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
pabb
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:14 AM

A couple weeks ago we day tripped driving from Denver through Rocky Mountain National Park on the Trail Ridge Road. It was mighty impressive in terms of wildlife and snow capped mountains, though the regions of higher elevation of Trail Ridge Road (~13,000ft) began to wear on us sea level residents.

Haven't been since the 80's but would also add that Mesa Verde and Cliff dwellings are a highly memorable sight to behold.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:14 AM

How long will you be in Colorado? It's possible you could hit everything if your timeframe is long enough.

I'd start with Estes Park/RMNP - that would be my pick if you're looking for just one destination. But a couple days there would be great. Then head south to Colorado Springs for a couple days. Durango is a pretty long drive from Colorado Springs, but worth it - don't forget to stop at the Sand Dunes in Alamosa on your way there.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Its possible to do alot in Colorado in a short amount of time. How much do you have? Rocky Mountain National Park is amazing (gazing *down* at the wildlife and snow from the summitt!) but we also love Colorado Springs. The Garden of the Gods is a state park there but IMHO should be a national park. Its amazing. Also check out the Air Force Academy. The chapel is beautiful and uniqeue. Focus on the Family has their HQ there and is fun to visit. I wouldn't bother with Durango the city, as IMHO is just another town with cute shops. The drive *to* it is amazing, however.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:22 AM

The Great Sand Dunes National Park is also cool and you can do that in less than an hour. Just watch your little ones! Its possible to wander away, get behind one of those dunes and totally lost!!!!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:23 AM
gyppielou

Ouray, Telluride, Million Dollar Highway, Crested Butte, all worth the gorgeous driving after seeing RMNP. Drink lots of water and watch out for those elevation sickness giigles!!!

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:01 AM

If you have a week or more, I think you can go to RMNP, the area around Vail and Aspen, and SW Colorado. I don't think that Colorado Springs itself is worth as much time as the surrounding mountain areas. The cog railway to the top of Pike's Peak is a nice activity.

As a Durango resident, I think the town has a lot to offer, but for the tourist, it is best viewed as an excellent base for day trips into the rest of SW Colorado. It is centrally located and has some really nice restaurants and night life. You could spend a week here, but 2 to 4 days is enough to get a good feel for the area.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:09 PM

i thought colorado springs was much too big, heavy traffic, houses and commercial built right next to garden of the gods, some days polluted, not the pretty town it used to be.

travellyn, i thought your town durango was just right. it is charming and enough shopping for 2 days. a nice base to visit everything around that part of colorado - scenery that knocks your eye out.

i'll be back in sept. i'll be the old gal in the downtown antique, rock and etc. shop with her pup tied outside.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is beautiful. Estes Park is also very nice. I don't think Durango is that interesting but Mesa Verde is worth a visit for the history, although it is very far. I cannot imagine stepping foot in Focus on the Family and cannot imagine what would be fun about such a place.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:42 PM

pabb, I live in Denver and have only day tripped to RMNP, but Estes Park certainly seems busy enough and has plenty to do. Don't forget to visit the Stanley Hotel, featured in the "The Shining." (All blank and no blank makes blank a blank blank! lol)

We are planning a four day first time trip to Steamboat Springs over July 4th and are really looking forward to it. Anticipating lots of great hiking, tubing down the Yampa River, swimming in the mineral pools, soaking at Strawberry Springs, maybe even a little horseback riding or canoeing. I've driven through the town once and thought the setting was so spectacular that we HAD to go back for a visit some time. That was three years ago, but hey, better late than never.

As mentioned here, Durango is a good base and a cute town. Lots to do in the area, including jeeping to old mining towns in the San Juan mountains, hiking a Fourteener (14,000+ ft high mountain), taking the steam train to Silverton, possible rafting (depending on water flow in late summer) horseback riding, etc. Lots of dude ranches in the area.

I echo the sentiments about Colorado Springs -- terrible traffic and lots of development, even all around Garden of the Gods. The Garden is a pretty but condensed area, and the first time I viewed it I was surprised at how small it was, how surrounded by development it was, and how auto-accessible it was (i.e., you hike on the side of the road while the cars whiz by). There's not a whole lot else to do in the Springs either, besides going up to Pike Peak and viewing more development.

Another option for some good old fashioned, unspoiled western scenery and activity might be Crested Butte -- I believe they are even having a mushroom festival sometime in August.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Sorry, posted before I was able to mention Keystone as well. It's a ski resort in a spectacular setting with all kinds of summer family activities, check out their web site for more info.