Route from CA to SC

Old Dec 11th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Route from CA to SC

I want to take my husband to see his daughters in SC this spring. We live in Southern California and I was wondering if there is a route I can take from Los Angeles area to York SC where I wouldn't have to go over mountains. I will be doing all the driving and I have a paralyzing fear of drop offs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 11:42 PM

I can't imagine any interstate that would present fearful drop offs. I40 would probably be the best route.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 02:32 AM

As Michael says, interstates don't have dropoffs--and you get to see spectacular scenery.
Have you looked at a map?
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem with I-40 is getting to it from Los Angeles, doesn't that involve the Cajon Pass? More of a problem on the return trip and definitely to be avoided if you can't handle drop-offs. Maybe I-10 to somewhere in Texas or Arkansas and then cut up to I-40 at that point?
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 09:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
To avoid the Cajon Pass and a mountain pass in the Great Smokey Mt. NP, try I-10 all the way to west Texas and then I-20 at the split.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 10:10 AM

The El Cajon Pass is north of San Bernardino on I15. The OP hasn't said where in So Cal, but all you have to do is take I10 east. You can go north at Phoenix to Flagstaff to I40 if you want, or just take I10 through Tucson, San Antonio, etc. all the way to the east coast. Or go up to I20 in Texas.

Southern California is a big area, who knows the starting point, if you were in Twentynine Palms, you'd just go north to I40 and wouldn't hit the El Cajon Pass. If you were in Indio or Palm Springs, you'd just go east on I10, also.

This isn't difficult. I20 doesn't go near the Smokey Mountains. Just use Bing maps, they show various routes you can take, you can jsut take the southern routes.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 03:36 AM

Is there a reason not to fly?

The Carolinas are so gorgeous in Spring. Seriously, consider flying into Charleston or Savanah or even Atlanta or Charlotte, rent a car and drive once you are in or near SC.

Don't know how much time you have or where in SC you are going, but any of these cities are so beautiful (especially in early to mid Spring) with lots to do and see and good food: Asheville, NC; Savanah, Georga; and Charleston, SC. They are all a half day or less from central SC. It might be more enjoyable to visit them rather than spending so much time driving cross country.

Just throwing out the idea.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Reading your post, I, too, wondered why, if you live on the west coast and want to visit the east coast, no mention of seeing anything between, you don't fly? If the reason isn't to enjoy the drive, and then the drive back by maybe another route, it simply sounds grueling. I suspect the cost wouldn't be a great deal different.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 08:26 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
It just occurred to me that if driving mountain roads is difficult for you, then maybe flying is too. Have you considered putting your husband on a plane to visit his daughters on his own? That would be my choice, to enjoy the alone time, among other reasons.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 10:44 AM

I was also wondering why not fly? Delta flies nonstop LAX-ATL then connect to Charleston,SC, they also fly into Savannah. Both planes are jets, not small prop planes, very smooth ride.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 11:16 AM

It just occurred to me that if driving mountain roads is difficult for you, then maybe flying is too.

How about Amtrak?
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 11:35 AM

When we lived there, we also flew from Columbia to San Diego and to LA a few times with very short stops in Salt Lake. Flights into there are limited, but were very nice and easy. The airport in Columbia is small, but nice, and very, very easy to navigate. While not the most exciting city in the world, Columbia has beautiful gardens, some good restaurants and is centrally located, so is also a good place to fly into.

Of course, you asked for travel advice and not anything personal, but it was mentioned already, so will add another thought. You probably have lots of personal stuff to consider, but if his kids are teens or young adults, and your husband can travel alone, they might appreciate having time alone with him. Sometimes it is difficult and uncomfortable to have to deal with multiple families at the same time. Even with our own kids or parents, DH and I would sometimes take turns visiting them so they had our undivided attention and we could do just what they wanted.

If you did want to do anything in your own, there is a nice small museum in Columbia, some very good galleries and shipping. There is also a wonderful local theater called the Trustus if you are there when a show is on.

Of course, you would know that Atlanta has everything any big city has and Savanah and Charleston are both lovely.

Good luck on planning your trip.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 02:31 PM

York is about 30 miles from Charlotte, a pretty major airline hub.
If not Charlotte, then Greer/Spartanburg. NOT Charleston. Don't know about Columbia, but still closer than Charleston.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 02:33 PM

I see now we are planning an east coast trip to the Low Country. Fly into Charlotte, rent a car, and then go where you want. Charleston is 3.5 hours. It could be a nice loop.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Michael, even I would not suggest Amtrak for this trip!
The I-40 trip goes over the pass in Great Smokey Mtns. into North Carolina.