Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Roosters near Kiahuna Plantation - 3am noise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Carol

I found a review on the internet which stated "...avoid those buildings near the road...they're up at 3am" Any truth to this? I know I should avoid buildings 40-42 because of the construction, but roosters???

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Laurie

Hi Carol,
We stayed at the Kiahuna in August for 6 nights. We taking a chance on the 99.00/night "construction rate" special. Those units(40-42)were booked when we arrived so we were slightly upgraded to building 11. We were woken up at about 3:30AM 3 out of the 6 nights by those roosters who couldn't tell time!! It was much more annoying than the daytime construction noise. We really enjoyed the property overall, though. Beautiful grounds, great staff, wonderful beach etc. Also, chickens and roosters seemed to be running loose all over Kauai so this experience with the roosters may be common??

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:38 PM
fran

We were in Kuaui several years ago. We stayed at Waimea Plantation Cottages and yes, roosters did crow at various times of the day and night. Since there are chickens and roosters running around all over the island, I would imagine this problem exists pretty much wherever you stay.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Carol

Well, if the rooster are all over the place, am I guessing correctly that no matter where we stay at K.P. we'll hear them? (near the road versus near the beach?)

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:47 PM
T

We spent one week on Kauai and everywhere we went we saw chickens. We saw chickens walking down the beach, at the Fern Grotto, on the sides of the roads, etc. I don't remember hearing crowing in the early a.m. though. We stayed at the Kauai Coast Condos, but we were probably so tired we slept through the rooster wake-up calls.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:06 AM
Nova

There are chickens and roosters running loose all over Kauai. Apparently when Hurricane Iniki hit the island in the early 1990's, these birds from small farms and rural private residences were blown all over the island and they still run loose.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 01:57 PM
JMM

As Nova says - Feral chickens and roosters are everywhere and not just on Kaui - We actually encountered tons of them on the Big Island - our B&B actually supplied a noise machine (ocean waves,rain etc) to drown out the regular 1AM and 3 AM crowing at the moon. On Kaui they lived in the hedge in front of our hotel and on Maui they wondered around an adjacent vacant lot. BRING EAR PLUGS. In spite of time-challenged roosters we loved our vacation.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:50 PM
helen

Roosters start crowing as early as 3 a.m. and go until it gets too hot in the early afternoon. All of the islands have hens and roosters running loose. It's just an island thing. Some of the towns on Oahu, where we live, have a chicken round-up at least once a year. Of course they don't get them all but it helps keep them under control.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 05:29 PM
Iza

We spent 2 weeks on Kauai this summer and not even once were we woken up by roosters. We saw plenty of chickens and roosters on the island but were never bothered by the noise. Stayed a week at Poipu Kai and a week at Puu Poa.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 03:24 PM
martha

If I rent a condo in one of the beachfront buildings at Kiahuna Plantation will the roosters still be an issue? Are the roosters at the beach,or more toward the town?

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Sarah

This wins the prize as the oddest question ever asked on Fodors. I hope the roosters don't wake you up!

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Nova

If you think this is an odd question you ain't never been to Kauai !! There are chickens everywhere, even on the baeches.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Monica

I'm heading to Hawaii next week and will be on Kauai for 5 nights at the Kiahuna Plantation. I'm renting a place close to the road, so I'll be happy to report back about the roosters. The woman that I'm renting the condo from has one of those noise machines and I alway bring earplugs anyway because my husband snores!

Old Oct 29th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Topping because it is so odd.

Any updates on the rooster crisis on Kauai?
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really not odd at all. All the domesticated roosters and chickens were set free to roam the land during the devastating storm Iniki in which they reproduced at will and got confused by high tides and full moons and howl at the moon as they would have previously crowed at the dawn.