Search

Roosevelt cookout

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roosevelt cookout

We were considering trying to book for the Roosevelt chuckwagon cookout but are wondering whether this would be worth it as we will only be staying at Roosevelt for two nights (we will then be moving on to Old Faithful for one night). Being there such a short time we are uncertain about using our time for this when it might be better utilised elsewhere.

Should we leave our time open as it sounds as though we really should have booked more time at Yellowstone?!

Thanks
Dot
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:10 AM

I think it is well worth it. The family said it was one of the highlights of the trip.

We drove over from Mammoth and took the one hour horseback ride to the cookout site. The meal was excellent, entertainment was nice and we saw a bear about 500 yards away.

I'm not sure what else you are considering that you could better utilize your time with.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm with richbutnot. The Roosevelt cookout was one of the best evenings we spent in YS a couple of years ago. The wildlife viewing was great and while I wouldn't call the food excellent, it was the best in-park meal we had.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:37 AM

I would agree with the others. I had the enviable "job" to work the Roosevelt cookout a few summers back. I can tell you that it's a great meal (all-you-can-eat ribeyes, cowboy corn, Roosevelt Beans, apple crisp); sing-alongs and story time with real-life cowboy employees; serene landscape in Paradise Valley; and approachable only on horseback or stagecoach. As the sun sets, you retreat back to Roosevelt Lodge for a nightcap on their front porch. I can't imagine a more special evening.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM

I stand corrected. The meal was excellent compared to other meals in Yellowstone.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:46 AM
cd

Agree with the others. We took the wagon instead of the horses but had a lot of fun and I think it was something like 4:00pm before we left so you have almost a whole day to do something before you go.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM

While you are at the Roosevelt Lodge make sure you take an early morning or late evening to the Lamar Valley. One of the best places in the Park to see wildlife. Its home to several of the packs of wolves that call Yellowstone home. Bison and sometimes bear can be seen also.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. Everyone sounds so positive. We didn't have anything else in mind but just wondered about having to get back from wherever we were on the only day we will have to book.

Anyway, it sounds great and I will try and book it.

RedRock - thanks for your suggestion about Lamar Valley. We will definitely do this. Just wish we had read up a bit more before we planned our itinerary. Think we should have booked extra nights at Yellowstone! Still, perhaps we will return some day!

Regards to all

Dot
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

PS - Well, thanks to your recommendations I have booked the cookout and am really looking foward to it. We decided on the wagon ride and Reservations at Yellowstone were really friendly and helpful.

Thanks to all once again.
Dot
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
cd

Dotty
We will go back to Yellowstone also. One of the simple things we did that are still in our memory is rocking in the rocking chairs on the front porch of Roosevelt Lodge with beer in hand as we waited for our chuckwagon cookout to start. Another suggestion would be to buy a bottle of wine at the bar at Old Faithful Inn (ask for glasses also) and take it to the second floor outside deck. There are tables there where you can sit and have a couple glasses of wine while watching Old Faithful. So very restful.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:40 AM

how much is the cookout with the 1hr horseback tour for adults (couldn't find the price on Xanterra's website)? After the dinner, how long of a horseback trip back? Sounds like you are coming to the lodge before sunset,is that correct? THANKS!!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi locolowe. I have just checked and the one hour ride is $63 for adults. I couldn't find out how long the horse back ride is after dinner but think I read somewhere that you arrive back at Roosevelt for a sundowner at approx 8.30 pm.

Perhaps someone who has done the cookout will be able to tell us more.
I did find the prices just by searching on Roosevelt cookout on web.

Dot