Anyone stayed at Lowndes Grove, Charleston?

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone stayed at Lowndes Grove, Charleston?

Hi everyone, I have been doing some major searching online (yes, including Trip Advisor) and have not been able to find any RECENT reviews of Lowndes Grove in Charleston, SC. My fiance and I are thinking of staying there for our honeymoon during the Spoleto festival (from May 30-June 4). We were having a difficult time finding a place in town that was both reasonably priced (for us, really no more than $300 a night, and that is a major splurge) AND romantic, that also had availability. We found the Lowndes Grove online, and it just looks stunning. We don't mind being 10 minutes from downtown, if that is really how far it is. I was a little concerned though, that they were "completely open" at that time, considering everyone else is filling up rapidly. Any thoughts???
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:56 AM
GoTravel

I'm not familiar with the hotel but this is a bad idea.

Most of what you will do is downtown, attractions, dining, shopping etc so you should stay right downtown.

Parking will be scarce during Spoleto and the last thing you'll want to do is spend your time hunting for parking. Ditto with traffic.

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Well, honestly, when we were thinking about what we wanted to do, we thought we wouldn't be downtown the most, so it might make sense to stay out of town a little ways. The things we are most looking forward to doing are touring the plantations, going to the beach, and then of course, we do want to go to Fort Sumter and the USS Naval battleship........do you think it is still really worth $200 more a night to be right in the heart of downtown?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:20 AM

My wife and I had our wedding and reception on the grounds of Lowndes Grove Plantation three years ago. The house itself and the view of the Ashley River are amazing. It is actually located in a residential neighborhood, but with the Ashley River on one side and a large brick wall surrounding the grounds, it doesn't have a residential feel to it. The drive from downtown to Lowndes Grove is about 10 - 12 minutes and can bring you through some not so nice parts of Charleston, but we never felt unsafe driving to / from downtown.

I would call them to check availability - it could be that they just haven't updated their calendar. They have a very small staff.

I can't speak on GoTravel's advice, as I've never been to Charleston during Spoleto, but I'd definitely take it into consideration, as parking and traffic can be pretty tough even during non-event times in Charleston.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

I hope I didn't come across as being argumentative, or at all unappreciative - if so, I'm sorry! - I certainly appreciate all advice, especially from those of you who know so much about the area.... I was just trying to give a little more background that I probably should have explained to begin with. Maybe we WILL be downtown more than I think we will. But I did look into the Spoleto festival's website, and I don't think we will buy tickets for any of the performances going on --- there is so much already to pack into 5 days, and as we are not familiar with the listed performers, I think we will focus more on the history of Charleston this time, not on trying to see shows while we're there. So actually, we were thinking it might be a GOOD idea to avoid being right downtown, as it sounds like it's going to be pretty hectic there. Am I way off base here? It looks like a wonderful festival, just is making booking one place for 5 days very difficult That's what we get for changing our plans so close to the date, I guess.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM
GoTravel

vermontchick, yes I do think it will be worth it.

Because Spoleto is all over Charleston, traffic will be horrible and even getting a cab will be tough.

Over the weekend tens of thousands of people will be driving into Charleston from all over the place.

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Oh my goodness - I had no idea the festival was THAT big........wow, maybe we should re-think Charleston after all. We were hoping for a honeymoon that wasn't going to break the bank, where we could still stay somewhere really nice...sounds like it would be pretty foolish to visit during that time, if we're not going specifically for the festival.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM
GoTravel

Charleston hasn't been an inexpensive city to visit in a long time and you've picked the busiest time of the year.

If you aren't going to any of the Spoleto events (www.SpoletoUSA.org or www.PiccoloSpoleto.com ) you might want to think of going elsewhere. Savannah would be lovely and give you the same ambiance.

Spoleto features world class artists. Leonard Bernstein has conducted the opening concert and Mikhail Baryshnikov has perfomed many times. People come from all over the world to this event.

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your advice, Go Travel. I hadn't realized we would have an opportunity to see performances of that caliber. I will check the website again. Maybe we can do sort of a compromise, and stay outside of town at a nice place for a couple of days, and then come into town for 2 or 3 days, and stay at one of the more inexpensive hotels. I didn't think the trip would be inexpensive, I just didn't realize staying down town would be SO expensive.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM
GoTravel

That would probably be a good idea.

I think I would stay out at the beach on the days I wanted to visit the beach (Wild Dunes would be excellent) and stay downtown when you want to go there.

It is a gorgeous city, you'll be glad you did!