Reload this Page >

ROOM IN SANFRANCISCO WITH A VIEW

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:00 AM
ginny

San Francisco has always been one of my favorite cities to visit. On my upcoming trip I would like to find a hotel with rooms that have a great view of the bay. Places that I have been looking at include the Radisson at Fishermans Wharf and the San Remo Hotel's penthouse. Any commeent on either of these or other suggestions?

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Paula

Mandarin Oriental - the views are great and sometimes you are even above the clouds.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 01:12 PM
May

Paula's right.
For views alone, the MO is the best in town by a long shot.
It's the 3rd tallest building in the city.
The Mandarin Rooms are up around the 50th floor and are corner rooms with tub to ceiling windows lining the bathtub, and views of both the GG Bridge and Bay.
Very expensive.

Best cost effective option would probably be one of the big convention hotels like the downtown Marriott and get an upper floor room.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:36 PM
tim

Avoid Fisherman's Wharf, it is a tacky tourist trap with rather run-down and low-rise hotels.

TK

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:09 AM
ginny

Fishermans Wharf is a tourist trap, but wheether it is tacky depends on the beholder. Some people like tourist traps, after all, it is one the the most visited areas of the city. As far as hotels go, it is basically chain hotels (Marriott, Radisson, Sheraton, Holiday Inn), nothing special but not chains known for run down hotels. The San Remo in North Beach would probably centralize you a little better to other areas. I have heard that the penthouse is great, offering a bathroom and TV that the other rooms there don't, but I am not sure what kind of a view there is, whether city or bayview.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:06 AM
jvs

Definitely stay away from FWarf. I had a great room at the St Francis Hotel on Union Square with a gogeous view. If price is no issue- try the Mark Hopkins, - it sits on the top of a steep hill- so pretty much every room will give you a great view.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Susan

Also look at the Huntington Hotel and request a room with a view. It's on Nob Hill so you are up high, even though it's not a very tall building. Also, the Fairmont must have some rooms with great views based on it's location -- also in Nob Hill.

I have been lucky enough to stay at the Mandarin once. It is amazing if you want to spend the cash!