Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What room type should I book at Curacao Marriott?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read in several reviews that all of the rooms at the Curacao Marriott have an ocean view. However, when I looked to book the reservation online there is a choice of:

1. "Quality Room" described as "RESORT VIEW-1KNG/2DBLS PRIVATE BALCONY, VIEWS OF RESORT & GARDENS, 355 SQ FT

2. "Deluxe Ocean View" described as "DELUXE OCN VIEW - 1KNG/2DBLS PRIVATE BALCONY, DIRECT VIEWS OF OCEAN 344 SQ FT

Which do you recommed? Also are the rooms close to the beach?

Thanks for the help.

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:16 PM

texaskim99,
Do you want a view of the sea from your room? If so, book the "Deluxe Ocean View" room. If you don't really care or want to save money then go for a "Quality Room", these won't necessarily be any futher from the sea than sea view rooms, just on the other side of the same building, you could even perhaps use the same elevator. If you want an even better room, such as a suite, which they do have available but not through the website you'll need to call Marriott. Best of luck and happy travels.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:31 PM

We stayed at the Curacao Marriott a couple years ago. Not all rooms are oceanview. We had a garden view and were put on a third floor room with a view of the trees around the pool area (no view of the ocean whatsoever).
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:34 AM

Was there in March. Hands down the best room (other than the Terrace Suites which are saved for the special guests/Marriott platinum guests) is the Executive Suite Oceanfront. We had booked an oceanview, which was nice, but were given a choice of two rooms and the other was the larger, oceanfront room, Room 154 (this was a great upgrade). It is only about 10 feet from the beach and there is not any foliage blocking the view, also has a couch and coffee table which the other rooms don't. The Executive Suites on the left of the resort as you face the ocean are much closer to the water than the ones on the right side, which have more of a beach in front of them so are farther from the water. The best in my opinon was our location -- the block of rooms that numbers from about 151 - 160.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:54 AM
Jed

eileen - Why were you given a choice of 2 rooms? Did you pay for the upgrade?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

I don't know why we were given a choice of two rooms. We haven't booked yet. We just looked on the Web site and based on our dates the only two options that come up online are the Quality room and Oceanview room. That was points only not cash added for an upgrade.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:49 AM

We did not pay for the upgrade. I am a Marriott silver elite member. When I arrived I asked very nicely if they would have any upgrade for me and I was politely persistent. They showed me the room I would have based on what I had booked (deluxe oceanfront, king bed, 2nd floor, note that there are not any king beds on the third floor) it had a lovely view and was a very nice room. Then they showed me the Exec Suite oceanfront they could upgrade me to and I preferred that one. I wanted to check it out first because usually I don't like first floor rooms because foliage blocks the view but this one was great. You give up a private balcony for a small patio but to me it was worth it. However, the manager said some folks don't like the first floor because it is a little less private, which is why he wanted me to see both rooms before making a decision. Regarding upgrades at the Curacao Marriott -- I think based on certain reviews on this board and others, people have come to expect upgrades but the resort has been operating near capacity on a regular basis. Obviously, if you are going "free" on points you have much less chance in getting an upgrade than if you are actually paying for your room in the first place, as we were. Folks should never reserve the lowest category room if they are going to be unhappy there, I recommend reserving what you would like (perhaps a mid-category room) and hoping for an upgrade from there. In my case, I had reserved the highest level room available on the website; I had reserved about 10 months in advance and I am a Marriott elite member. I think all these things worked in my favor to get the upgrade. It was the week before Easter and the hotel was at capacity, so I was very fortunate. It's a wonderful resort -- a fantastic Caribbean value for the price!