Romantic Restaurants in NOLA

Old May 19th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romantic Restaurants in NOLA

My fiance and I are going to New Orleans for our honeymoon in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to find some nice, romantic restaurants in case I need to make reservations. Any suggestions?
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:25 AM

This advice is, of course, based on 'pre-Katrina' experience. Bella Luna over looks the river & has a wonderful view w/excellent food. I would suggest a reservation. Cobalt in the Hotel Monaco is good & oftentimes has a little group playing which is a nice touch. But it is very modernistic. Dominiques is also one of my little known favorites & has a French/Caribbean flair. Also very nice.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM

I don't think Bella Luna is reopened--go to their web site for updates, but as of yesterday it was still closed---http://www.bellalunarestaurant.com/ .

We just got back last night from a 4 day weekend. If you've been to New Orleans before, be prepared. We had a wonderful meal at Arnaud's Saturday night which seemed to be the one place we dined that was back up to pre K standards. Many of the restaurants are struggling for staff. One place that we had a simple meal at on Friday (won't name it to give these folks a break) had two waiters--one for its main floor and one for its upstairs/balcony. Service was poor, food was cold even after we sent it back to be reheated.

The Gumbo Pot was hitting on all cylinders on Thursday night even though that's probably not a place that qualifies as a romantic spot you'll want, their food is good. Also, another place that's back to business is the Central Market----head there for a mufalleta, still hands down the best in town! Get a half (plenty big for two!) and an Abita beer! It's also just a fun old-style Italian grocery, worth the stop just to see what they have on the shelves!

As far as reservations go, we did make a reservation at Arnaud's but many walked in even on Saturday evening. As a note, although much of the crowd was still in jacket and tie we were not. When we made our reservation, we told them that the guys in our party did not bring jacket and tie to NO this time. We asked if that would be a problem or if we should go to Arnaud's Bistro instead. The person from Arnaud's laughed and just asked if we'd brought our wallets!

If you make it to New Orleans after June 1, Commander's Palace is still my favorite. They are supposed to reopen that day. Take a carriage ride through the Garden District and end your evening at the CP---be sure to order their bread pudding for desert at the start of your meal!

We did brunch at Court of Two Sisters yesterday. It was decent but not as fine as I remember. Service here was very good by post-K standards!

Lastly, be prepared for a different kind of crowd and some entirely unpleasant aspects to the post-Katrina New Orleans. Trash pick up is very poor even in the Quarter. We stayed at Place d'Armes and saw the same pile of trash on the street for our first three days. The semi sized dumpsters along Burboun Street (I believe I counted three) also take away from the streets charm. We also noticed that streets throughout the city are in lousy shape as are many of the sidewalks. There's a lot of work to be done, so don't expect the old New Orleans for years to come.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM

Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:47 AM

In January we had a wonderful Sunday night dinner at Galatoire's (no reservations, coat and tie).

If Commander's Palace has reopened when you're in NO, by all means go there.

I think NOLA and Bayonna are both open now.

Have lunch at the Crescent City Brewhouse on Decatur. Sit out on the balcony and watch the river.

Even though it's not "pre-Katrina," New Orleans will still be wonderful.

Byrd

Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:34 AM

RandyK - Thanks for the opening date on Commanders. There is no place we'd rather go for dinner to celebrate our ten year anniv 7/13 and I had worried it would not be open (their website says "late summer"). I'm wondering if they will do a kitchen table still - that would make it even more special!

If anyone is interested, I emailed Brennan's and they are also targetting 6/1 to reopen.
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Try The Columns on St. Charles Ave for after-dinner cocktails, intimate conversations or people watching over drinks on the gallery, etc.

Also, the Carousel Piano Bar at the Monteleone Hotel in the FQ is another great spot for night caps and romantic evenings.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Bella Luna will not be open for a long time....still have damage that is not fixed yet in the roof.

If you want an exceptional experience, then I recommend Restaurant August, one of the best rest in the US right now.

Second and right on the heels of the above is Stella, again one of the best in the country.

Old May 25th, 2006, 07:32 PM

PS.. the found at Cresent City Brew house is pretty touristy....but the bear is exceptional, and I do agree, sitting on the balcony is great...but the food is a big letdown. So much better all around
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Dan

I'm with Mark99! August is superb. One of the best anywhere. The Brewhouse is what it is. If they can manage to actually get your food and not screw up the order, it's okay pub food. Otherwise, enjoy your beer and eat elsewhere!
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Does anyone know if Marisol still exists? It was very romantic, especially the garden patio. But I don't know how it survived the hurricane. It was on at Esplanade St, down the street from the Spotted Cat lounge and the Marsalis' place.
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Dan

Marisol is indeed closed permanently!
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the info, Dan. Too sad.
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM

I'm sad that Marisol's is closed.

For a romantic dinner I would suggest Restaurant August, which many consider to be the best in NOLA right now. (www.rest-august.com). It is excellent.

We went to Muriel's Jackson Square a couple of months ago and I think that would also be very romantic. (www.muriels.com).

Galatoire's is often a place to be seen by the movers and shakers and perhaps slipping in food quality. Commander's isn't very romantic. Court of Two Sister's isn't very good anymore.

Column's is a great place to have a drink. If you are looking to save some money for one on the meals, the Palace Cafe, a Brennan's restaurant, has a dinner before seven for $25 each. I love Palace Cafe!

Where are you staying?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:27 PM

Celebrated our 28th. anniversary (in April) at Bayona's. Delicious food, romantic ambience, & attentive waitstaff. It also has lovely courtyard dining available. Enjoy!