new orleans restaurant tips needed

Jul 1st, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

new orleans restaurant tips needed

this is our first trip to new orleans i can't wait to try all the restaurants i can in four days. the problem is my wife likes plain ,boring food, beef! i have picked ruth's chris for one night but looking for other tips that won't be to much for my wife but won't bore me and my taste buds. thanks for any tips
Jul 1st, 2005, 07:26 PM

I just took my first trip to New Orleans last fall and met friends who've been there many times. They took care of all the reservations for our 4 night weekend. They wanted to make sure we did some of the "touristy" things as well as some not so. Everywhere we went was excellent.
We did Commander's Palace (sit outside weather permitting and order the bread pudding souffle). Went to Galitois, Emeril's (Warehouse district). Brunch at Court of Two Sisters and of corse bignets at Cafe du Mond. One of the surprises was Jacquesimos Cafe. What a treat, must get the shrimp & alligator sausage cheesecake (really). Turns out the owner grew up where my husband did and they knew people in common. Very interesting place but must have reservations, it's really hopping. All in all, you probably can't go too wrong with whatever you choose. You'd need two weeks to get in all the restaurants you want to. Enjoy.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 04:08 AM
Dan

Skip Ruth's Chris and try Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse instead! Yum.

Jacques Imos doesn't accept reservations for parties smaller than 5.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 08:54 AM

I would skip Ruth's Chris too. You can do that at home!!
Jul 2nd, 2005, 09:54 AM

I'm a huge Ruth's Chris fan. We don't have one in Cincinnati and but we've gone to Louisville and Indianapolis for a night before just to go to Ruth's. Usually if there is one in town when I go on vacation it is a must. That said, we are going to New Orleans in less than two weeks and Ruth's is not on (nor was it considered) our list. There are so many fabulous one of a kind restaurants in New Orleans to try and pretty much all of them are going to have some type of standard red meat on the menu. I would pick a handful of places you'd like to try and then check their menus online to see if they have a thing or two your wife can handle.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:04 AM

Emeril's has a steakhouse, Delmonico, there as well as Dikie Brennan. Try those instead. Don't go to R.C. those are chain you can get just about anywhere!
Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:38 AM

I agree with skipping Ruth Chris. Also don't bother getting a steak at Copeland's. We got one at the place on the northshore & it was very poor quality meat. It sizzled in a poor imitation of RC but the taste was not there. The best steakhouse that we know is Charlie's.It has the old NO gruff atmosphere (like a local hangout) but a great steak.
Here is a bunch of reviews.
http://neworleans.citysearch.com/review/4427321

She might like Maspero's for a sandwich. They are huge & have the traditional ones as well as some unique NO ones for you. Commander's is my favorite for atmosphere & fine food. She should be able to find something traditional enough there too.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips so far. we live in mid michigan and don't a ruth's chris near us that is why we thought of that
but dickie brennan's sounds good. thanks for any other tips.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM

Dickie Brennan's or Delmonico's for steak.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

ttt thanks
Jul 4th, 2005, 05:46 AM

First...Emeril's Delmonico in New Orleans is NOT...I repeat...NOT a steakhouse. It is one of three Emeril's places in New Orleans. IMHO, it is also the most over-priced and over-rated of the three.

Others have suggested you look at Dikie Brennan's Steakhouse on Iberville not to be confused with the classic Brennan's on Royal Street). I agree. DB's has a great selection of appatizers and non-beef entrees to keep any non-carnivore happy, while still serving a great steak in that old steakhouse style. I think it is a better value that Ruth's too.

If you do go to Ruths's, make it the original on Broad. OF course, a few blocks from there is the place that all New Orleans steakhouses (including Ruth's) were copied from -- Crescent City Steakhouse. Don't go there is you don't want steak (they have nothing else), or if you want a fancy place (it isn't). What you will get there is a very good prime dry-aged hand-cut steak, erved in the classic New Orleans way (broiled in butter), for a reasonable price (single steaks range from $18 to $21). Try the Porterhouse for two!

Charlie's is another neighborhood favorite, especially for that New Orleans 'funk' factor. The meat is sub-par compared to Crescent City or Dickie's, but not expensive. Great onion rings and a blue-cheese dressing that will knock your socks off.
Jul 4th, 2005, 06:30 AM

benj
You're right about a sandwich at Maspero's. How could I have forgotten to mention that one?
Jul 4th, 2005, 10:42 AM

I've had steak at Emeril's Delmonico's and thought it was excellent. I also know many others who have.
Jul 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

ttt last try any more tips thanks
Jul 6th, 2005, 08:56 PM

My husband is a very "plain food" person, while I am a very adventurous eater, so I know your dilemma very well! On our last trip to New Orleans we ate at a wide variety of places and were both very happy with what we got. Most places had a few entrees on the plainer side. Sometimes my husband would ask the waiter if they could
"hold the sauce" or put it on the side, if it was something he was afraid he wouldn't like. Everyone was very accomodating. I also tried to balance nicer restaurants with good old greasy spoons. We went to:
GW Fins
Irene's
Port of Call
Acme Oyster House
Louisiana Pizza Kitchen
Veranda (in the Intercontinental for brunch)
Pelican Club
Angeli
Jul 9th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips can't wait for our trip.
Jul 10th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Don't miss Bubba Gump Shrimp Company (based on the movie Forrest Gump) the dinner "bucket of boat trash" was great contained alligator, crawfish and shrimp, and Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville was great for a snack and a drink, they are really potent. These two places were packed yet are never recommend on these threads so I am changing that!!!!
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:07 AM

Andy-when are you going? Enjoy some good spicy NO food for me

Lina
Jul 13th, 2005, 03:19 AM

On our trip there a couple of years back we went to Ugly's for lunch. Everything is very tight (as in squeezed in) and we met a local attorney. So we picked his brain about restaurants. He said his favorite was Irene's (which has been mentioned here) We went to Commander's Palace etc which we enjoyed but Irene's has delicious food without the overbearing prices. We alwasy try to get the locals opinion wherever we go and we have never been burned. Try Irene's!
Jul 13th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Uglesich's for lunch for fantastic seafood (they're not open for dinner). Try their fried green tomatoes with shrimp remoulade. Your wife can watch you eat if nothing appeals to her.
For another casual place, Port 'a Call has great hamburgers and baked potatoes. Your wife should like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO