Ride out west to four corners...

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ride out west to four corners...

Me and my wife are taking our motorcycle out towards Denver ( from Chicago ) on September 12th. From there we plan to go down to visit the four corners. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to go/what to see in the four corners area. We have no set plan and like to go where ever there's things to do/see. We'll be out in that area about 3 days. Thanks!
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:21 PM

If you are interested in archaeology you could visit Mesa Verde and Hovenweap (nps.gov) For great geology try Capitol Reef or Canyonlands or Zion National Parks (nps.gov) If you like to raft you can get a trip in Bluff or Mexican Hat, UT which takes you past a number of prehistoric sites. Not too far away is a great backcountry road through Valley of the Gods or Monument Valley. In Page, AZ is great slot canyon called Antelope just outside town. Try calling Jackson Bridges in Page. He is a great guide of that area and has a 4wd he can carry you in. Good Luck.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:20 PM

One of the great motorcycle rides of the world is the "Million Dollar Highway" between Ouray and Silverton and its southward extension into Durango, all in Colorado and a short distance to the northeast from 4-corners.

If you want a truly magnificent scenic route from Denver to 4-corners, take US-285 from southwest Denver to its Junction with US-50. West on US-50 with a mandatory stop at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison then continuing west to US-550 in Montrose CO. South on US-550 (which becomes the Million Dollar Hwy) into Durango. From Durango, west on US-160 to US-666 (being renumbered-may already have been) in Cortez, then south to 4-corners.

Depending in this year's weather, you may even see the shimmering gold of fields of Aspen in the high country.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 04:19 PM

3 Days!!! Are you kidding? There is so much to see and do out there that 3 months would barely cover the best places.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 03:30 PM

Having just come back from SW Colorado to Phoenix, I wouldn't go very far out of my way at all to visit 4 corners again. Ugh! We gave it ten minutes and that was too long. What a rip!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:17 PM
gb

Yes, But I would go out of my way to visit Mesa Verde.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 12:02 PM

And Durango and Ouray and all of Rocky Mountain Colorado.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 12:33 AM

Just back from this area(report in
"2 weeks in the four corners") : Moab with Arches and Dead horse point SP is not to miss and if you are "good hikers" and in search of a great "adventurous atmosphere" Canyonlands, both 3 districts are stupendous...
Some good adress : Recapture Lodge in
Utah, excellent for Monument Valley, Natural Bridges, Gooseneck SP and rafting with a very good rate(52 $ the night), and red Cliff Lodge near Moab, on the 128 highway : view, equipments and staff make the "sejour " perfect...
but prices are more expensive(up to 165 $, breakfast include...).In Moab, the Slicrock cafe is good...
If you have time, Durango is a nice place and in teh way in, Ute Moutain tribal park has very interesting ruins to see, without the crowd of Mesa Verde.
Sure that you'll have great vacation there.
Erik and Anny Monpetit-France
[email protected]
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:49 PM

My husband and some friends rode out to the actual 4 corners and he said it was a waste of time.

He does the Durango to Ouray road every year.

Other good rides are from Taos to Pagosa Springs and also Pagosa Springs to Lake City.