Help w/ 2nd trip to Utah

Search

Help w/ 2nd trip to Utah

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/ 2nd trip to Utah

My husband and I are beginning to plan another trip to Utah this year in Oct. and would appreciate any help from the forum. Two years ago we visited GCNP, Page, Bryce Canyon, and our favorite, Zion NP. We fell in love with the area and were sad that we did not have time to visit Arches and Canyon Lands.

We are excited about returning to visit the places we missed before. We would also like to visit Mesa Verde NP if at all possible. We have never been to Colorado, so we thought we could fly in and out of Denver. It would be cheaper than Salt Lake City. We need thoughts on that.

We are in our early 50's ,enjoy easy to moderate hikes, don't mind driving long distances if scenery is good, and we like eating where locals eat.

We are looking at the third week of October , arriving on Thursday or Friday and leaving the following Sat.. We need a game plan, suggestions about starting point, route, and highlights of Arches, Canyon lands, and Mesa Verde.

Thanks in advance and we look forward to your suggestions!
Old May 15th, 2015, 03:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The flight to Denver may be cheaper but the rental car may be quite a bit more. Put both the airfare and car rental prices on a "price watch" until at least July 4.
If you do decide on Denver, you may want to make the first stop at Estes Park and see Rocky Mountain NP unless it has already snowed.
Glenwood Springs and the Colorado River Canyon east of town is another thing to see on the way to Utah.
Devote at least 1.5 days to Arches and at least half a day to the Island in the Sky section of Canyonlands.
Two of my favorites that you didn't mention are Goblin Valley State Park and Capitol Reef NP.
Mesa Verde is still on my bucket list.
For lunch, the Moab Diner is just fine. DW and I did not enjoy Jay's Pasta.
Old May 15th, 2015, 05:46 PM

I'd try to go last week of September or 1st week of October to catch some of the fall colors in the mountains. Not that you have that as a destination, but you'll be passing through the Rockies so you may as well time it better if possible.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison may be on your way from Mesa Verde to Denver, it's definitely worth a stop.
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:21 PM

If you fly into Denver, you could make your way to Glenwood Springs and spend a day there. Great hike called Hanging Lake there (steep but short, 2 miles roundtrip), and a nice little downtown. Also a large hot springs pool that is very relaxing. Glenwood Vaudeville Revue is fun for entertainment for the evening, two restaurants I would recommend are Juicy Lucy's Steakhouse and The Lost Cajun.

From Glenwood Springs, you could head to Moab and spend a few days there. Check out Delicate Arch and all the other formations here, a personal favorite of mine was Devil's Garden (beyond Landscape Arch). You can make it as long or as short as you want. I can't suggest anything for Canyonlands because I've never been, but I know others on here have great suggestions about all the beautiful things to see. While in Moab, I enjoyed the Moab Brewery and Sunset Grill (more expensive though it has a fantastic view).

After Moab, you can head on down to Mesa Verde, which is fantastic. try to stay at the Far View Lodge if you can (driving up to the top of the mesa from the entrance to the park is 45 minutes), but if not Cortez is a good place to stay. You could easily spend two days here. I would maybe spend the second night in Durango though (about 45 min to an hour from Cortez), and you could walk around the town in the evening.

On your way back to Denver, you could head north on the Million Dollar Highway towards Ouray, then head towards Montrose and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison (as WhereAreWe mentioned). May want to overnight somewhere along here depending how much time you have left and how much you want to drive in a day. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is more or less stopping at scenic overlooks, no hiking required.

Another option would be from Durango to head over to I25 and then go north to Colorado Springs, where you could walk through Garden of the Gods. Both options offer different sights, although I'm not sure about the weather along the Million Dollar Highway in late October. I've only been in summer.

Have fun! This is one of my favorite areas of the country, and I'm always looking for opportunities to go back!
Old May 16th, 2015, 02:41 AM

Check into flights to Albuquerque too. We've found them to be not much more than to Denver and the car rental was much less than Denver.

If you click my name you will find several TRs to the area if you scroll down the page.
Old May 16th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I didn't realize that car rental prices would be so expensive in Denver! I did find some cheaper prices with Fox Rent A Car and EZ Rent A Car, but have never used those rental companies before. Any thoughts ?

Emalloy, thanks for the idea about using Albuquerque as starting point. Will check into that. Loved your trip reports and pictures!

Thanks everyone so far for responses and advice. I will try to report back later with a definite starting point and dates for trip. I do know that it will be either mid Sept. or
mid Oct.
Old May 16th, 2015, 04:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know the quality of Fox in Denver but if Las Vegas and SLC are any indication don't rent from them.
Consider flying to Grand Junction and renting there.
The Amtrak California Zephyr leaves Denver shortly after 8AM and arrives in Grand Junction in the late afternoon.
Old May 18th, 2015, 12:28 PM

This is a tough nut to crack. We have the same dilemma and have always found that Las Vegas has the cheapest flights (Southwest) and, by far, the best del on rental cars.

You could fly into Vegas then drive to somewhere part way across AZ and stop in Monument Valley for the night then get to Moab fairly easily from there. Of course it is a long drive back...Scenic Byway 12 is great but you really need 3 or 4 days more to do that route justice.
Old May 18th, 2015, 03:46 PM

Definitely see Moab, Arches, DeadHorse State Park, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde. Between Moab and Mesa Verde, you can detour through Hovenweep. The museum in Delores is excellent.
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:24 PM

Also check on car rental prices in downtown Denver, they can be much cheaper than the airport. Denver has a good dedicated bus (SkyRide) running from the airport to downtown and if you don't mind walking a few blocks to a rental agency it could work for you.

I would avoid Fox or EZ Rent a Car.
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Checked at Budget rental in downtown Denver and prices are considerably lower. Just have to figure out how to get to rental location. Will check on the SkyRide routes.
Old May 19th, 2015, 09:58 AM

SkyRide will drop you off about 4-5 blocks away from the Budget downtown location (Curtis and 19th street). I believe Budget is 19th or 20th and Broadway. If you have roller bags, it's an easy walk.

http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules...ion?routeId=AF

You should be able to book the car picking up in downtown and dropping off at the airport for the same price as pickup/dropoff in downtown. That makes the return a lot more convenient.