How to taper down an itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to taper down an itinerary

Author: travelprincess
Date: 07/20/2007, 04:44 pm

I've read all the wonderful, helpful posts here and done a lot of research but...Here's the story...started out just wanting to go to Albuquerque and Santa Fe for about 10 days (late September)but then saw Denver wasn't that far and then Colorado Springs and then the southwest corner of Colorado which everyone raves about. We're just plain old scenery lovers, good food, good drink, not into hiking, but don't want to spend 10- 12 days in a car. but do want to drink in the wonders of CO and NM. Who wants to be my itinerary planner? Hope I'm not being brazen but I know some people on this board can map out the best route to see the BEST. We'll be arriving in Denver, renting a car and then leaving from Albuquerque. We do drive a lot on vacation but don't feel it necessary to see every rock. Really appreciate any advice for this trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 02:44 PM

You might want to repost with the name of your destination in the title.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Hello Princess,

Just returned a few hours ago from the most scenic trip in all of Colorado--of course, this is just my humble opinion. That being said, I've lived here for 45 years and have hit every single area of the state many times. So here is my shot:

Leave Denver and travel hiway 285 to Poncha Springs, west on hiway 50 to Gunnison-north to Crested Butte and spend some time. Back down to Gunnison and west on Hiway 50 to hiway 149 and south to Lake City-spend some time. South on 149 to Creede and South Fork-south and west on 160 to Pagosa Springs-you might like the Hot Springs there. Continue west on 160 to Durango--take the narrow gauge train to Silverton if still running(and I trhink it will be). Spend time around Durango -go to Mesa Verde or ???

The scenery on this trip is wonderful--end of September should be great for Aspen color. I know everyone talks about the Million Dollar Hiway and it is beautiful, but the country around Crested Butte, Lake City,and Crede is really amazing, IMHO.

Have fun.

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GJLinda.
I like the idea of taking 285 etc. as you suggested. My dilemma is should we do this ride or go over to Colorado National Monument and then Moab and do that ride. both rides are a little too much as we are going down to Albuquerque too. Personal opinion from someone like you is very important to me. Also I couldn't find 149 on my map. Is it a good road?
Every time I start researching a place we haven't been it becomes overwhelming choosing the beauty one wants to see in this beautiful country of ours.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:01 AM

Hello again,

I would skip Colorado National Monument and Moab this trip and concentrate on the south central and southwest parts of Colorado. Hiway 149 leaves Hiway 50 just west a bit from Gunnison. It is a perfectly good two-lane highway.

From Durango, it is an easy ride and pretty, in its own way, to Albuquerque.Check out Hiway 550 through Bloomfield and ends up just north of Alb.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:07 PM

Here is my suggested itinerary--I've added more time in Santa Fe.

First of all, if you want to spend some time in Denver and Colorado Springs and SW Colorado and Santa Fe and Albuquerque, IMO 10 days is not enough.

You like great scenery, good food and drink and are not into hiking and more active pursuits--so I'll take a crack at suggesting an itinerary that has all those things. I have eliminated Colorado Springs from your list or desired places since I think you'll get plenty of gorgeous scenery without going there.

day 1-arrive in Denver-I'm assuming afternoon arrival-and spend the night in a downtown boutique hotel(Hotel Teatro, Magnolia Hotel, Hotel Monaco or Oxford Hotel) and have dinner at one of Denver's great restaurants. Suggestions--Luca d'Italia, Mizuna, Barolo Grill, Montecito, Panzano, Rioja. There are many others.

day 2-get an early start and take highway 285 s.w. out of Denver. The aspen should have changed by then and can be gorgeous on this drive. One of my favorite vistas in all of Colorado is the view of South Park as you crest Kenosha Pass. The sight of that vast high valley surrounded by mountains is breathtaking. Continue on highway 285 until you reach Poncha Springs. Then take highway 50 over Monarch Pass, through Gunnison past Blue Mesa lake with a short detour to Black Canyon of the Gunnison. At Montrose take highway 550 to Ouray and spend the night there. Ouray is is a gorgeous little town surrounded by mountains. After the long drive, relaxing in the community hot springs pool may be what you need before you go to dinner.

Day 3-drive from Ouray on the Million Dollar highway (highway 550) to Durango. Either stay in Durango or in Mesa Verde that night.

Day 4--tour Mesa Verde National Park.

Day 5--leaving the Durango you can a. take highway 160 to Pagosa Sprngs then go south on 84 to Chama NM; b. take highway 550 into New Mexico to Bloomfield then highway 64 to Chama. Take highway 84 from Chama to Santa Fe. You will go through Georgia O'Keeffe country around Abiquiu on 84 between Chama and Santa Fe.

Day 6, 7, 8--Stay in Santa Fe. One day you could drive the high road to Taos and visit the Taos Plaza and Taos Pueblo and the Rio Grande Bridge. Suggest lunch at Doc Martin's at the Taos Inn. The other two days explore Santa Fe--the Plaza, the museums, the other historical sites, the shopping, Canyon Road. Santa Fe has fabulous restaurants--Geronimo, Trattoria Nostrani, Santacafe, La Boca, 315 to name only a few.

Day 9--drive the Turquoise Trail to Albuquerque--explore Old Town

Day 10 depart Albuquerque

This itinerary would have only 2 days with a lot of driving--day 2 and day 5. You would be staying in 5 different locations and you would get to experience fabulous scenery.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

How can I thank you people enough? Both your well thought out itineraries are pretty close, so I think we'll stick with that area and add a day on each end or where needed and give the trip 12-13 days so we can have some breathing space between drives. It's always good to leave something to go back to. We're really excited about this trip and all the scenery to be had. Thanks again.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 04:57 AM

You're welcome--it was actually kinda fun to figure out. If you have any more questions, esp. about Denver or Santa Fe, I'll be happy to try to answer them.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Hello
Here I am again. I did an AAA triptik just to get an idea of mileage. They tend to stay to the main highways but it's helpful. Here's my questions... (1)Is a day trip to Rocky Mt. National Park worth it or will we just be repeating what we'll be seeing along the way (a lot of driving just for repetition.) Or is it unique?
(2) Is it worth going to Colorado Springs to see Pike's Peak and possibly stay over and from there continue the trip as Marty outlined? Or skip it and have the extra day in Denver or Albuquerque?(I hope you continue to have fun planning our trip Marty) We will be adding a few days to our trip.
And Again TIA.

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:48 AM

First of all, my thoughts on Colorado Springs. If your purpose in going there is to drive to the top of Pike's Peak http://www.pikespeakcolorado.com/ and driving to the top of a 14,000+ft mountain is something you want to do, I would suggest instead driving to the top of Mt. Evans--which is west of Denver http://www.mountevans.com/#. You would leave I-70 at Idaho Springs and drive to the top. Then you can come back to I-70, exit at Georgetown, which is maybe 10 miles west of Idaho Springs, and take the Guanella Pass Road (a gorgeous drive on a dirt road that takes you on the back side of Mt Evans) http://tinyurl.com/365o4g. It is totally drivable in a rental car (we've done it in a Honda Civic). That road ends at Highway 285 and you can continue on your way. If you're going to do that, though, it will make it a very long day to Ouray.

However, if there are other things you want to do in Colorado Springs, by all means go there, (especially since you've added a few days to your trip).

Since I have been to Rocky Mountain National Park many times, I personally would skip it since you are going to see plenty of mountain scenery on your way to sw Colorado. That said, in late Sept. the Aspen could be beautiful and there could be lots of elk to see http://www.nps.gov/romo/. Again maybe take a day trip from Denver to get you in the mountain mood to start your trip and stop for dinner in Boulder on your way back to Denver. Some restaurants--Frasca (http://www.frascafoodandwine.com/), The Kitchen (http://www.thekitchencafe.com/), Q's in the Hotel Boulderado
(http://www.qsboulder.com/qsboulder/index.asp)-- all very good

Also be aware that snow is possible at the higher elevations (and lower ones, for that matter)in late September. Just watch weather forecasts. There is usually not enough snow to close roads that early in the season.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Again Marty, your recommendations are super.We were just looking for a short day trip out of Denver and Mt. Evans sounds great.Whether we go to Colorado Springs or not is still iffy. Just like to have a few options if we feel like winging it a bit. No, we don't have the need to go up Pike's Peak. Did Haleakela in Maui and a few others over the years. When all is said and done we just want to take in the beauty and have a little relaxation. Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate your taking so much time to point out the dos and don'ts that will make this a great trip.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention what a treasure Ouray looks like. I can't wait for the hotsprings!! And the webcam makes it look other worldly.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:18 AM

Enjoy your trip!