Denver to Mesa Verde - which route?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will arrive in Denver in early May 2008 for an eight day vacation. Most of the time will be spent in the Mesa Verde area but my question is: What route to take from Denver to Mesa Verde?

We really enjoy history, scenery, and Native American areas. We don't mind taking 2-3 days to travel from Denver to the Four Corners area if there are interesting things along the way.

Any hotels/resturants (reasonable, convenient, clean) would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike Honeycutt
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Take the Million Dollar HWY one way and through Silverton to Durango. On the other way take a side trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park. Check out Valley of the Gods for a couple nights of Lodging. I would suggest staying at Lodge inside Mesa Verde. Consider train ride from Durango (with zipline if you are adventurous). Pikes Peak, Royal Gorge, Black Canyon of the Gunnison all worth seeing as well. Doing the Denver to 4 corners area in a loop drive is a great vacation. There is a lot to do along the way, in the 4 corners, and Mesa Verde. I would suggest about a 2 day stay in Mesa and 2 in 4 corners then stop at some other locations along the way. In 4 corners I would see 4 Corners, Goosenecks State Park, Valley of the Gods, Moki Dugway, Monument Valley, Natural Bridges, Twin Rocks, Mexican Hat. I haven't done a hot air balloon ride, but intend to do that sometime over monument valley. it is expensive. Some of the ski resorts along the way have Alpine slides that are fun to ride down. I know that Durango and Winter Park have these, but I am sure more of them do as well
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 06:11 AM

We flew into Denver late and spent our first night near Colorado Springs heading south (Rte 25) to Pueblo the next day to pick up Rte 50 west. It's about a (straight) 4 hr drive to Montrose on 50 but you'll want to stop along the way. It's very scenic with the river winding along. Gunnison is a nice little town where we had a terrific lunch at a tiny Mexican place. Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a stop for sure.

We really loved our 2 nights in Ouray and stayed at the Wiesbaden Inn - pretty cool place with hot springs spa - not luxurious but very unique. We walked all over Ouray - it's a really scenic little town. Had great meal at Buen Tiempo.

Ouray to Mesa Verde via Million $ Hwy. We stayed in the park (Farview Lodge) - very convenient and great dining. It's a long road into the park and being close to the cliff dwellings was perfect for early morning excursions. The ranger-led hikes are great.

From Mesa Verde, our trip took us south into N Mexico to Chaco Canyon (amazing place). You have lots of options depending on where you've already been (Moab area?) As already suggested, Valley of the Gods is amazing as is the B&B located there.

What are your plans from Mesa Verde?
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

We're archeological/nature junkies and have been to Mesa Verde once (2 days only). We've also seen Chaco Canyon (recommended), Hovenweep, lots of Navajo sites, Moab, Arches, and Canyonlands.

I like the idea of making a large circle of the trip.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 04:05 AM

Mike,

Assuming that you want to spend no time in Denver, I'd suggest that you take the road out of the airport (Pena Blvd) for about 2 miles to the toll road expressway (E-470) and head south/west on E-470 around the east and southern end of the metro area. Because it is a toll road it seems to get much, much less use than the other freeways in the area and will thus be a fast exit around that side of the city. The couple bucks you spend on the tollway will offset the aggravation will may have fighting Denver's other crowded freeways.
At E-470's junction with I-25, the tollway aspect of this highway ends and it becomes a freeway (and changes its name to C-470) as it continues around the southern and western side of the metro area. Continue on C-470 west to the Hwy 285 exit. Get off and take Hwy 285 west/south into the mountains and follow it all the way to U.S. Hwy 50 at the village of Poncha Springs.
Then take Hwy 50 west over Monarch Pass to Montrose. In Montrose, head south on Hwy 550 all the way to Durango.

Heading back to Denver I'd take Hwy 160 east out of Durango, through Pagosa Springs, over Wolf Creek Pass to Hwy 112 at Del Norte. Take 112 east to visit the Great Sand Dunes, or at its junction with Hwy 285, head north on 285 to Saguache and over Poncha Pass to Poncha Springs again. Now head east on Hwy 50 , following the Arkansas River through Canon City to Hwy 115 near Penrose. Take 115 north into Colorado Springs, then I-25 back up to Denver.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 05:26 AM
LHS

We drove furledleader's 285 route out of Denver, except on the return route, after Great Sand Dunes we went back to HWY 160 to I25 north to Ft. Carson/Colorado Springs.

We really enjoy the Great Sand Dunes, but it rained and made it much easier to hike on sand.

Great scenery.
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
maj

I was going to start a new post, but since this is pretty much the route we are planning thought it might be easier to just add to this one. We should arrive in Denver (airport) around 9:30am on a Tuesday. Plan to leave right away and head to Black Canyon of the Gunnison and drive (not hike) through it. Hope to end up at Ouray for the night. Is this feasible, time wise?

Also, do we need to rent a 4WD -- going the first of June.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:16 AM

It's certainly doable--you should arrive late afternoon. As to the question of 4 wheel drive, you will be on paved highways the whole way there. The first of June I suppose snow is possible-but not likely--and if it does snow, it melts quickly at that time of year. I do not remember what the roads are like in the Black Canyon Park, but we drove them in a Honda Civic. Also you do not drive through the Canyon but along the rim. It has many places to stop and look into the canyon.

It will be chilly at night in the mountains--bring jackets etc.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:17 AM

It is not doable IF you spend much time in the Black Canyon area or if you stop to look at anything else. It is long and can be a slow drive. You are on vacation -- why the push?

Unless you plan to do a lot of off-road driving, a 3 wheel is of no value and waste of gas and money.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:23 AM
maj

Thanks for your replies. We need to be in Durango night 2 for ziplining the next am. Also have reservations at Mesa Verde nights 4 and 5. We then have two days to get to Estes Park. We're not going to decide what route to take back up until we are at Mesa Verde and know the area a little better and see what we feel like doing. Other option is by way of the Great Sand Dunes. So if it takes longer the first day, we can go to Black Canyon on the way back (and either do the rest of the San Juan skyway loop or the other way on the Million Dollar Hwy).

I know this is alot of driving but although we like to stop at places along our route that we come upon, we don't take relaxing vacations. We want to see Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Million Dollar Hwy, zipline, Mesa Verde and RMNP.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:03 PM

It's feasible.

By June 1 we should have daylight until at least 8:30 at night, so that gives you 11 hours of scenery. I wouldn't stop much anywhere along the way to Black Canyon except maybe in Johnson Village, Poncha Springs, or Gunnison to get a bite to eat at a fast food joint, AND maybe at the top of Monarch Pass to experience being on the continental divide.

Two outstanding pieces of scenery to be aware of on your drive to Black Canyon:

1) On Hwy 285 between Denver & Fairplay, when you come over Kenosha Pass. The sight of the bowl of South Park spreading out BELOW you, with the Mosquito Range in the background is one of the prettiest sights in Colorado.

2) On Hwy 285 between Fairplay & Johnson Village you will crest Trout Creek Pass. About 5 miles beyond the crest of the pass you'll make a turn to the west and the snow-topped hulk of 14,197 foot Mt. Princeton will fill your windshield for the rest of the way to Johnson Village.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Oh, by the way...you won't need a 4-wheel drive unless you plan on going on some 4-wheel drive dirt roads.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:07 AM

Mount Princeton is one of the “Collegiate Peaks” – a collection of 5 peaks rising over 14,000 feet above sea level in the Sawatch mountain range that are named after universities.

The Sawatch Range stretches over 70 miles from near Vail in the north to Saguache in the south. It is anchored on both ends by 14,000+ ft mountains that bear smowfields suggesting a religious imagery. On the north it is the Mount of the Holy Cross. On the south it is Mount Shavano which during the late spring and early summer months sports a human-like snowfield referred to as “the angel of Shavano”. Look for the “angel" on the slopes of the mountain as you drive from Johnson Village to Poncha Springs on Hwy 285.

http://14ers.home.comcast.net/~14ers/shavano/trip.html

http://www.stevegarufi.com/angel-of-shavano.htm
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
maj

That is great stuff furledleader. Thanks so much. I think we're going to go with the plan to spend the first night in Ouray and just see how the day goes. I have a question on our route back north, but I think I'm going to put it in another post in case someone in the future wants the same information.