Restaurants & Sites on Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four 60somethings are heading to Hawaii for 2 weeks!! Two of us have been on a 7 day cruise but this is our first time to stay on the islands and the other couple have never been at all. Due to some physical limitations we won't be going on any hikes but want to see and do all we can. We are spending 1 week on Kauai, 3 nights in Honolulu and 3 nights on the Big Island. We'd love some input on what to see and do and where to eat. Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM
iceeu2

Well, definitely drive to The Waimea Canyon and then on the other end of the island drive to The Lighthouse.

There are so many great restaurants on Kauai. Don't miss Hamura's and be sure to have their lilikoi pie. We are also big fans of Kauai Pasta.

Have fun.

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Oh how I love Kauai....let's see...as iceeu2 said...Waimea Canyon and The Kilauea Lighthouse are musts. I'd also suggest checking out Princeville and have lunch at the hotel. Opaekaa Falls
is nice too.

Now for food....I suggest eating at Gaylord's at the Kilohana Plantation, you can stroll throught the shops there too...we go there everytime we are on Kauai. There is Duke's at the Marriott too. Others to be mentioned are Brennecke's Beach Broiler, JJ's Broiler and Bubba's for burgers.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Since you mentioned physical limitations I'll note that there is a long stairway to climb to the second level dining area at Brennecke's Beach Broiler. http://www.brenneckes.com/

Nearby, on the way to spouting horn (also south end of Kauai) is the Beach House restaurant which I highly advise. Wonderful ocean views and great food. It fills up quickly so make reservations early. http://www.the-beach-house.com/

Another treat just east of the main town of Lihue is the Chinese/Japanese Tea House-style Hanamaulu Restaurant. It's not the upscale location and presentation of the Beach House, but the food is consistently good or ono (in Hawaiian). http://www.explorekauai.com/hanamaulu.html
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM

I will build on what has already been said...once you get to Waimea canyon, keep going up to Koke'e state park and go to the Kalalau overlook. On the other side of the island, after you go to Kilauea lighthouse, keep going and see the small town of Hanalei and its pretty bay, then continue to see Ke'e beach at the end of the road and the other beaches on the way.

Limahuli garden near Ke'e is part of the National Tropical Botanical garden and if you are at all interested in native plants, this is a treat; you can also see the jagged rock spires from a different angle here as well as historic type taro plots.

Lydgate Park has an enclosed area where you can snorkel easily.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Just to make it clear, this is all relative to Kauai since I do not have enough knowledge or experience to offer much advise regarding other islands.

As for the Big Island, needless to say, you should spend a day driving around Volcanoes National Park. You do not have to do any heroic hiking efforts.. Once you drive in and pay your National Park fee, you will be handed a map and some brochures, so just follow it and you will get a very nice overview. As for BI restaurants, Merriman's in Waimea is a terrific spot and I would not hesitate recommending it, even though I have no clue how close or far it is from where you would be staying.

So, back to Kauai now, here is a list of my restaurant musts for Kauai:

1. Hamura Saimin ($) in Lihue;
2. Kalapaki Beach Hut ($), right next to the Marriott in Lihue for breakfast, lunch and dinner with ocean view;
3. Camp House Grill ($) in Kalaheo on your way to Waimea Canyon;
4. Plantation Gardens Restaurant ($$$) for that special meal, on the South Shore, on the grounds of Kiahuna Plantation condos. IMO, this is the best restaurant on Kauai right now;
5. Joe's on the Green ($$), in Poipu for breakfast only. Do not eat dinner there, it is just not worth the money;
6. Hanamaulu Tea House ($$), in Hanamaulu, reserve the tea room; a lovely spot;
7. The Beach House ($$$) in Lawai/South Shore, but do not stay for dinner! Have drinks and snacks/pupus at sunset; the food is expensive and it is not any good;
8. Visit Hyatt Regency hotel and have a drink at Stevenson Library (bar). The hotel is architecturally stunning and the bar is beautiful.

Yes, there are many other restaurants on Kauai; however, we do not find them worthy of our vacation time or money. Others may feel otherwise.

As far as what to see and do.. Get Kauai Underground Guide written by Lenore Horowitz (at amazon.com or your local book store) and follow it with confidence. It is by far the best guide book for Kauai.

Well, drive around the island. It is very pretty and some North Shore locations are breathtaking. Waimea Canyon and the overlook are good bets, as is Kilauea for a quick look and, perhaps, healthy lunch at Kilauea Bakery. Do visit Princeville and Hanalei and drive further North since it is so pretty. Hanapepe on Friday nights (art night) is kind of an interesting experience. Nothing grand but it is a cool one street town and there is this great hand-painted pottery store--Banana Patch--so you could get a souveneer.

I would not spend my time or money on a luau or the barge ride to the Fern Grotto, but this is me.

Have a wonderful time!

Anna Roz
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM

CruiseDuo,
My wife and I have been traveling to Kauai since 1985, almost every year.

I have a file compiled of my favorites for most everything on the island. If you are interested, drop me a line at my email and I will send it to you.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM

We like Duke's at the Marriott in Lihue, wonderful fish and good salad bar, for any non-fish eaters they also do a good prime rib. Most nights there is a trio of Hawaiian ladies who go around singing songs.

On Friday night, go to the Hyatt to watch Leilani Riviera Bonds in the terrace, and the keiki hula and torchlighting ceremony, then have dinner at Tidepools if you wish. Have only had drinks at the Stevenson library, but heard they have good light food.

Our favorite place in Poipu is Casa di Amici, wonderful Italian food, but no beach view.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:14 AM

Ditto on Gaylords at Kilohana in Kauai.

I'd also add Tidepools restaurant at the Hyatt to that list.