Big Island and Kauai Restaurant suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Hawaii for 2 weeks in July. We are staying in Kauai and the Big Island. I am looking for some restaurant suggestions from low price range to high.

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:01 AM

Our favorite so far on Kauai is the Beach House Restaurant near Poipu. Suggest you reserve early for dinner with sunset view, or walk in and get partial ocean view from bar. A lower cost restaurant that was decent is Keoki's.
On the Big Island, recommend checking out the many restaurants at the Hilton Waikoloa, if you are not staying there. Just getting to the restaurant by way of boat for example, can be interesting.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:06 AM

Can't help with BI; years since I've been there. For Kauai, you'll get a bunch of mid-high end recommendations (personal faves are Duke's and BeachHouse). At the low end, you gotta try Hamura's in downtown Lihue. Local grub, local atmosphere, and the price is right.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:07 AM
May

Just returned from both islands and here are my $$$$ choices. In Kauai, try Café Hanalei for beautiful views (at Princeville in north) and Beach House (south).

As for Big Island, we are big fans of the Four Seasons restaurant (Pahu i`a). I had one of the best meals of my life there. If you are on the BI for a Saturday night, see if you can get to the Four Seasons BBQ. It was wonderful and shouldn't be missed.

Above all have a great time! The books found on www.wizardpub.com can be purchased from Amazon and major book retailers. Most posters here highly recommend them and I do as well, You will find great dining information in there as well as a lot more. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:46 AM

Was in Kauai this past February and ate at the following:

Moderate:
Pomodoro's
Coconuts
Zelo's Beach House

Expensive:
Beach House
Cafe Hanalei - especially their Friday seafood buffet; in Princeville Resort
La Cascata - in Princeville Resort

My wife & I enjoyed and would recommend all of them.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all that have written so far. I have made reservations at the Tidewater Pool. Does anyone know anything about that? I also heard that Merriman's is good too.

Any additional ideas or comments.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:42 PM

Merriman's is famous and gets a good crowd despite its out of the way location. The food is good, though the menu is not quite my cup of tea, being very meat oriented as I recall.

The daily breakfast buffet at the Mauna Lani Hotel is fabulous. We enjoyed all the meals we had at both the Mauna Lani and the Orchid. The only thing we didn't enjoy was the bill --- all these restaurants cost a lot.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:00 PM

Tina, if you're referring to Tidewater's at the Hyatt in Kauai, it's a lovely upscale restaurant with upscale prices to match. However, as I recall, the food was very good, although I don't think I would rank it as highly as Cafe Hanalei for the Friday night seafood buffet, the Beach House, or Pacific Cafe. Keeping in mind that Pacific Cafe is in a shopping center and doesn't have the ambiance of the other two I mentioned or of Tidewater's, the food there is still topnotch - we go there every year and for some reason come away impressed, having forgotten how good the food is! I have been saying for awhile that though the Beach House has a view that's hard to beat, my husband and I have been disappointed in recent years since the ownership changed, and now tend to go there for appetizers (pupus) and drinks to enjoy the sunsets. However, since we're going to Kauai in 3 weeks, maybe we'll give it a try for dinner again. If we do, look for a report to follow on Fodor's! Have a great time on your trip!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:00 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Canoe House at the Mauna Lani is one of the most beautiful restaurants in the world IM0, plus the food's very good.

Merriman's is really good and worth the trip.

At the lower end of the $pectrum, Sam Choy's cafe (breakfast and lunch) in the industrial park near the Kona airport is a blast - seriously good food, surrounded by locals. Loco Moco, fried rice with eggs, oh man.

On the wet side, we happened across the Ocean Sushi Deli in Hilo last month, and it was just about the best sushi we've had anywhere. Another locals' place.

On Kauai, only one recommendation, for Caffe Coco, ($-$$) a fun indoor-outdoor place in Kapaa village, next door to the wonderful Bambulei Hawaiiana shop. If you're heading over to the Princeville/Hanalei area, stop here en route; it's a bit hard to find but worth it. Meaty as well as plenty of vegeterian/vegan offerings. Ginger-lemonade on a hot day...
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:16 PM

Kona cheap eats-

Buns in the Sun- good sandwiches and bakery
Lava Java
Durty Jakes- great breakfast

A little more-
Huggos - great view!
CAFE PESTO - Kawaihae Center, S. Kohala
Pancho & Lefty's Cantina & Restaurante

High-
Anything in the Hilton Waikoloa
Jameson's by the Sea

Kauai-
Cheap

Dali Deli!!!! - Koloa
Lappert's Aloha Ice Cream - Koloa
There was a place called Rusty's but I think they changed the name. They have the best Mango Tea. It's in the shopping area of Poipu in the far back right.
Bubba's is cheap, but too greasy for me. The shirts are funny though.

Medium-

The Brewery that is hidden in the back of the road along the Marriot. The best view on the island!
Margarita's - Mexican

Not cheap-
Ilima Terrace - Hyatt Regency Resort - Poipu - for breakfast! This is saying a lot because I am not a breakfast person.
Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill
Cafe Portofino
Gaylord's At Kilohana - A beautiful location and fancy foods!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:23 PM

what do you think of ROY'S on the BI?
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:05 PM

All of these places are on the Big Island.

Thai Thai Restaurant - (outside of Volcanoes Natl Park)- small, unpretentious but excellent Thai restaurant on Old Volcano Road in the town of Volcano Village.
- What's Shakin' - (on the 4-Mile Scenic Route near Onomea - north of Hilo) roadside stand famous for fresh tropical-fruit smoothies and shakes.

- Kona Ranch House (in Kailua-Kona) - great breakfast. Go when you have time because the service is leisurely.

- Yokohama Bistro (in Kailua-Kona)- good Japanese restaurant, good sushi (try the green tea ice cream).

- Keei Cafe (Highway 11, south of Kailua-Kona) - don't be put off by the nondescript exterior and the package store next door - food is sophisticated and delicious. Reservations needed.

- The Coffee Shack - (Highway 11, south of Kailua-Kona) - for great breakfast and lunch - and an incredible view of the Honaunau and Kealakekua coastline.

- Bamboo Restaurant (in Hawi) - fun place with quirky decor and good burgers.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:18 PM

To Tinatoadster:

I go to Kauai every year and have some personal favorite info compiled. Drop me an email if interested.

But on Kauai two DON'T MISSES:
Postcards, in Hanalei, small, very good seafood and veggie dishes, be prepared to relax without a reservation..place gets busy

Gaylords, outside of Lihue, very good food with open courtyard setting.

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:30 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about Postcatds - one of the few restaurants on the North Shore to highly recommend! They have good breakfasts there as well, but a little on the expensive side. Thanks for jogging my memory on this restaurant, Rich - we'll definitely put it back on our list when we're there next month!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:43 PM

To Margot: Hey lady..you'll be there next month. I'm going to be there from July 19 through Aug 8. If any of your time overlaps, let's have the families meet for a mai tai somehwere> It would be great to meet someone face to face from on here. If you are before me, drop me anything new you see.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:47 PM

Oooh, so sorry Rich - we'll be there from 6/26 to 7/10, thereby managing to miss you AND the whales!
But I will try to get a trip report on here between our return and your departure! In the meantime, anything I should know about summer vs. winter conditions, tips, etc., since we've never been there in the summer???
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:56 PM

Margot: Just a little less rain up on the North shore in the summer.......Maybe. South and West shores get much warmer in the Summer, but still very comfortable. Have a great time. Drop me a line at [email protected] if you would like to have my Kauai info. I have some restaurant and othe favs on there.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:57 PM

Aloha Rich - thanks - we also go to Kauai every year, we were last there in 2/02 - anything new and notable since then?
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:36 PM

Plantation House is a very good choice for south Kauai. Beautiful gardens too. If you want the Beach House sunset dinner experience, be sure to reserve 2-3 days ahead. Good choice for light dinner is fish tacos at Keoki's bar. Wonderful setting.
Big Island, Brown's & Merriman's are very good & pricey, but my favorite place was Cafe Pesto,north of Kohala .Great food with fair prices.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:55 PM

Big Island Steak House has a fun brownie sundae where they light the "lava".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -