Where to stay in Columbus?

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Columbus?

What areas are best around Columbus?

Any we should stay out of?

Currently looking at Econo Lodge Brice (5950 SCARBOROUGH BLVD).

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Are you coming to Columbus for an event that would require you to be located on the very far East Side? Brice Rd., where your motel is located, is a good 20-30 min drive from dowtown, farther in rush hour. It is not an unsafe area, there are numerous chain restaurants located within a few minutes. What are your objectives? Price? Location? Quality? Major shopping areas are Easton (about 20-30 min drive), Polaris (45 min drive). German Village, Short North and Arena Districts are downtown areas that have more quaint antique feeling with more unique restaurants, boutiques. The west side of Columbus is a cultural wasteland and I wouldn't suggest staying there. The Far North suburbs, Dublin, Powell, etc. also have their good points. Respond back with some comments about your objectives and I will try to help.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I have SW Airlines funds we need to use before March and we've got just enough to cover a flight to Columbus (never been before). It is only a quick visit 2-3 days.

We plan on spending a day in/around Columbus and then a day in/around Cincinnati to fit two cities we've never visited into one trip.

We are big into beer and try and visit as many breweries/brewpubs as possible, so most of the trip would consist of beer travel. I have already found about five brewpubs in Columbus and another 4-5 in Cincinnati.

For hotel stay, we look for cheap but nice. We usually stay in econo lodges, comfort inns, motel 6, super 8....etc.

Any ideas on things to do?

We are not into museums/art/theatre. We like local things, sightseeing, outdoors.

Thanks!
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Most of the Columbus brew pubs are between the downtown/arena district and German Village just South of downtown. Both are a 30 minute drive from your Econo Lodge. Pricing of the downtown area hotels will depend on exactly when you are coming. If there is a convention, hockey game or concert during your visit, the rates at the downtown hotels will be higher. If there are no events, you might find a bargain.

Hampton Inn on High Street is walking distance to the arena district and short north. Red Roof and Drury both have neaby locations that could be competitive.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

We would be going between 2/15 - 2/19. Have not picked the exact dates yet.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM
cd

We love walking around German Village. If it's too cold to do that you could drive around it. Stop at the 34 room bookstore, it is great, we always spend time there just looking. http://www.bookloft.com/
We love eating German food at:http://columbusoh.about.com/od/resta...a/schmidts.htm
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM

Sounds like the perfect trip for Priceline. You could get a hotel for less than the Econo Lodge and be closer in to town.

For instance, it looks like the downtown Holiday Inn has gone for $45 and the Doubletree for $55. (Check parking prices though - that might be the kicker.)

You'd have to do the part of Priceline that is called "Name Your Own Price". Look for it on their web site. Reservations on there are Non-Refundable and yuou do not know what hotel you will get until you have paid for it. You will know though that you've bid on downtown, and however many stars.

You can read more about it at either BetterBidding.com or BiddingForTravel.com.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Checked out the hotels in German Village, Downtown and Arena. All are double what the stay at the Econo would be.

The Best Western on High Street was the cheapest ($178) for two days.

The Econo is $80 for two days.

There is an Econo at (920 Wilson Rd at I-70) for $90 for two days. Only problem, checked Trip Advisor and it gets horrible reviews. Looks like downtown is about 5 miles from this one.

How is parking in the city on the weekends? Is it free?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 04:46 AM
cd

German Village has many B&B's, here is just one you might want to check into: http://www.innsite.com/inns/A000587.html
I also second the above suggestion of doing Priceline.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Brutforce

I would also suggest just staying in Columbus. There is plenty to do there & Cincy is a good couple of hours away so you'd be spending half of one of your days driving. Stay as close to the German Village area as possible. That is probably the most easily walkable area of town & will put you in close proximity to the brewpubs. Also, don't miss Schmidt's, Katzingers & the Old Mohawk. Check out www.german-village.com

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Our base-camp will be Columbus for that weekend since that is where we are flying in and out of. One of our days will be spent hanging around Cincinnati. A day in each place. Still have not found a place that fits our budget......still searching.

Thanks for all the help, keep it coming.

Anyone familiar with the "Mothman"?

We have thought about making the drive to Point Pleasant, WV just to say we've done it.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Brutforce

Cincy is a good 2 hour drive (depending on traffic) each way. Pt. Pleasant is about 2 1/2 hours in the opposite direction. You won't even have time to think about even touching all the things that have been suggested for Columbus (& there is plenty more). Why try to do CIncy also ? Particularly when there is nothing specific that you seem to have in mind ?

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

We want to hit both cities because they are close to each other and we've never been to either. We don't have much planned besides checking out as many brewpubs/breweries (we keep a list of every place we've visited that brews on-site) as possible and whatever else we happen to run into.

This is a short trip (don't have much vacation time) that must be taken or we lose funds we have sitting with Southwest Airlines. The price of flying to Columbus fit the balance we had left.

I figured we would not be able to fit Point Pleasant and Cincinnati in, so we would go with Cincinnati.

Two hours isn't bad each way. My wife and I always get up very early in the morning and head out. We once drove from Albuquerque to Roswell and back in the same day (7 hours round trip).

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Brutforce

So you're going to be drinking & driving ? That sounds like a sound plan. Perhaps better to just stay in Columbus & walk to places ??!

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Brutforce

Just an aside, Ohio has probably some of the most heavily policed roadways in the US, particularly the Interstates. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM

I'm from that area and went to OSU, and don't see anything wrong with going to Cincinnati for a day for something new. Columbus is hardly that fascinating IMO, so I think it's a good idea. Cincinnati is a more interesting city in many ways, including geographically. If you want to go to Cincinnati, just stay in some cheaper place on that side of town, to make traveling easy on I71 (SW side). All those chain places are pretty much the same, I think.

Ohio has some good roadways, and very good roadside rest stops in comparison to many states.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the assistance!