Restaurants and sites near Ferndale, California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling down the PCH from Washington to California at the end of March. We are staying one night in Ferndale at the Gingerbread Mansion. I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions where we could eat dinner in the area. Also, we plan on exploring the Redwoods, but is there anything else we should see? TIA
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Backtrack half an hour to Eureka, then take the bridge across the bay to the Samoa Cookhouse. It's a lumber mill mess hall that offers family-style dinners (lunches too) served by your grannie. The food is pretty decent, and the pictures and "museum" attached to the old hall are fabulous. Great for kids if you have any with you. We regard this as a "must-stop" on our journeys through Humboldt Co. Make sure your belt has an available notch.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 10:05 AM

We loved our stay at the Gingerbread Mansion a few years ago. Staff there provided some excellent restaurant recommendations, one in downtown Ferndale, low key, great food & service and another in Eureka - upscale, excellent food.

p.s. the breakfast at GM is awesome!

Enjoy your visit.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:59 PM

I'd actually do something different. I'd stop in Arcata and eat there before getting to Eureka or Ferndale.

Arcata is where Humboldt State University is. Downtown is pretty vibrant with cafes and a microbrewery. Eurkea has a few places that looked like they could be okay, and a lot of chains and fast food. Ferndale is TEENY, although I had an excellent biscuit & gravy breakfast there at the little cafe.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It looks like we will have a wide variety to choose from.

Katkins- I am so glad to hear that the breakfast at GM is good. I have found very little info on the net and the one review I read said the breakfast was bad. Thanks.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:45 AM
tpl

We had a really strange breakfast at GM a few years ago -- hard-boiled eggs and sliced cheese.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Hmmm...we stayed there are few years ago had this fabulous, piping hot egg & cheese souffle served in individual ramekins, fresh fruit & lots of other goodies. Maybe they are doing things differently now...

Breakfast or not...the inn and town are absolutely charming.