Restaurant suggestions?

Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Restaurant suggestions?

Looking for a place to eat after seeing a show on Saturday (my husband and I). Something preferrably Italian and moderately priced with a good atmosphere. Any suggestions on restaurants within walking distance of the Gershwin? I've also always wanted to go to Mulberry Street...is that hard to get to? Thanks!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:50 PM

In general, the Italian restaurants on Mulberry Street are mediocre (at least compared to other NYC options). BUT it's always fun to eat on Mulberry.

For dinner, I've found that Da Nico consistently has the best food.

Mulberry is easy to get to, by cab or subway, Spring St or Canal St stops.

After dinner, don't miss Italian pastry at Ferrara, just north of Canal Street (on Mulberry).

Enjoy!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Do you typically need a reservation days ahead of time?
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM

For a Saturday night, I'd try to reserve several nights in advance, just to be safe.

Da Nico
164 Mulberry Street
(bet. Grand & Broome Streets)
(212) 343-1212

http://danicorest.com/page/nvwc/Home_Page.html
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Neopolitan

Are you talking about early Saturday night after a matinee or late, after an evening show. I wouldn't plan to head to Little Italy to eat starting out about 11 once you possibly find a taxi, which is nearly impossible after theatre on Saturday night. But if you are talking about after a matinee, go for it.

Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:21 PM

Tahiti, I agree with Neopolitan and assumed you're seeing a matinee on Saturday.

If not, you should consider eating dinner before your show unless you like having your entree served at midnight!

(Back in the '80's, when I was a teen-ager, my dad would take me to dinner at Sardi's or Mamma Leones after shows, which at the time I thought was so cool. Now I fall asleep.)
Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:32 PM

Well - we still eat dinner after the evening show - either have a late lunch or a little snack and drink before.

But by the time you get to Little Italy the restaurant many no longer be serving - some stop at 11pm. I would double check on that.

For Italian after the theater we usually do Trattoria delArte - which is only a few minutes from the theaters.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi, sorry for the delay, but yes, I was planning on having dinner after a 2PM show, so pretty early..maybe 6. Thanks for your suggestions and advice.