Itenerary - 1st time in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You all have been very helpful and now that my trip is a little over a week away, I want to narrow down our itenerary. My girlfriends and I are staying at Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Our flights arrive at noon on Friday (14th) at LaGuardia. We're planning to take a cab. If we can't check in at the hotel that early, we'll leave our luggage and sightsee in the area until check-in. However it goes, I'm wondering if this is feasible for our first day: Walk to main Library, see Grand Central Terminal and Chrysler Bldg, window shop while walking to St. Patrick's Cathedral, sightseeing/walking back to Times Square. I think it would be too close to getting dark to try and see any of Central Park this day. Not sure what to do this evening, I still don't have a good grasp of what time this might put us back at Times Square. We've all got early starts so we may tire out early. But maybe a boat tour to see the lights?

Saturday we have tickets for a play at night, so I'm thinking we'll go to ESB first thing in the morning to avoid the lines, then go by subway to Battery Park and take the ferry to view the SOL. With these two must sees accomplished, how to fit in Brooklyn Bridge/pizza/ice cream and a walking tour of Chinatown/Little Italy/Greenwich Village and still get back in time to change clothes before the play? Maybe just walk over the Bridge and eat/shop in Brooklyn and save the other for another day? Do we need dinner reservations that evening? We had considered Trattoria trecolori. But we're not foodies and would be content to grab something quick if it meant more time for sightseeing. We still have all of Sunday for Central Park and other sightseeing, and our flight doesn't leave until 6pm Monday. We know we can't see everything, but we want to hit the major touristy stuff and see a little something of some different areas. Other than wanting to see the variety of stores, probably most of our shopping will be the souvenir kind. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:13 PM

Your ideas sound great to me. What you are looking to see the first night is easily walkable.

For Friday night you might take in the Met Museum. It is open later on Friday night and on the balcony there is usually live music and you can sit and have a nice glass of wine and enjoy the ambiance. The restaurant there is also fun and the food is good.

Chinatown, you might enjoy lunch and there are several good places for Dim Sum. We'll be there on Saturday, with friends coming into town from Seattle, if you would like to join us you are welcome, we'll probably go to Mandarin Court on Mott St and then shop a bit on Canal.

From Chinatown you might enjoy a stroll and drool through Little Italy (a little drool is what we call it walking by all the pastry shops on Mulbery St).

Cafe 1,2,3 on W. 43rd might be a fun stop for dinner before the theatre or desert after dinner. They do the BEST creme brule.

Avoiding the lines at the ESB, I smiled as I read that, I'm not sure it's possible to avoid the lines, specially on the weekends, but you are right to get there as early as possible, and buy your tickets online so you won't have to wait in an extra line.

You might enjoy a special day in the city doing a street fair, and that weekend, I will try to find out where the fair is. A fun way to stroll through the avenues and pick up a bargin or two. I 'll come back and post the location on this thread.

There are so many good places for brunch on Sat and Sun, but a favorite is walking up Columbus Ave and finding a restaurant with an outdoor cafe for enjoying the sites of the city.

Hope this helps and have a great time while you are here.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:19 PM

Ok here's the most recent info I can find on Street Fairs.

Sat Oct 15th

8th Ave from 42nd St to 57th St
11am - 6pm

Sun Oct 16

6th Ave 42nd -56th
and
Broadway 86th St to 96th St

Lots of fun food and lots of fun shopping, great for really good souviners.

Have fun while you are here.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:39 AM

The Art Under the Bridge Festival will be going on that weekend in DUMBO, Brooklyn, which means that Grimaldi's Pizza will likely have a 2 hour wait and there will also be long lines for ice cream too.

BUT - if you love art, it's worth the hike to Brooklyn. All the artists in the neighborhood open their studios to the public, and there are many exhibits in the streets and the park, plus music and dance events and parades.

www.dumboartscenter.org/festival
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you for the street fair info, as well as the suggestion for Friday night. I have bought our ESB tickets and have them printed out. I figure if it's not raining (as forecasted), earlier is better . The stroll and drool in Little Italy sounds quite nice, too, hehe. If I thought I could be confident in finding you at a specific time, meeting up would be fun. I'm just not sure how this is all gonna shake out. I can already see we're gonna need a second trip. Thanks!