Grand Canyon area lodging

Sep 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Grand Canyon area lodging

Does anyone have experience at one of the nearby accomodations to South Rim of the Grand Canyon? I'll be there in October and Yavapai lodge, the older section, is the only room availability in the park itself, but rooms are open at Grand Hotel, Quality Inn, Grand Canyon Squire Inn, and Rodeway/Red Feather Lodge at Tusayan.
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM

I was in the Canyon last October for 3 nights. We were fortunate to secure lodging at Bright Angel.
While Yavapai is not as nice as the other rimside accommodations, I say it's better to stay inside the park than outside. Being able to get up and walk/take a short drive to a sunrise, or to whatever hike/sights you will be doing that day is much better than having to deal with coming into and out of the park each day/night.
How many nights are you staying?
Be prepared for cold nights!
And you might want to consider calling Xanterra every day, you never know, there could be last minute cancellations at one of the better lodges inside the park.
Good luck!
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was considering Yavapai, but just had heard some not-so-great things about the rooms, and the only availability is in the older/non-AC area (though don't imagine AC will be too much of an issue in mid October). I was planning on checking the Xanterra website daily to see if something opened up elsewhere. I'll only be there 1-2 nights.
Sep 28th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Yeah, the Yavapai wasn't so nice to look at, but I figure, how much time will you really be in the room?!!
And you are correct - no a/c needed in Oct! We even had snow/frost each morning when we woke up - we clearly did not research this because we packed for New England fall weather, not Grand Canyon fall weather!
Definitely call Xanterra too, as well as website. Not sure where you're from, but I find early morning EST works best to get through without a long wait for someone to come on the line.
Sep 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip. Good point about not spending much time in the room. I'm there for the Canyon and not the hotel.
Sep 28th, 2005, 05:32 PM

I'm not sure how different the rooms are in the older part from the newer part, but we stayed in the newer part in August and found it quite nice - we really enjoyed being tucked into the woods but close to the rin. The room was clean and had all the amenities of say, a decent holiday inn or hampton. And for us, the ac was a plus but as others have said you won't need it.

I'd also suggest staying in the canyon - the free shuttle busses come by very often and it's just so convenient to be in the park, you don't need to move your car.
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I had booked reservations at Quality Inn at Tusayan, but now find availability at Kachina and Thunderbird Lodges in the park. The rates are about equal. Anyone with experience at those facilities? With only 2 days and one overnight at Grand Canyon, does it make a difference "timewise" to actually stay within the park itself vs. 2 miles outside the entrance?
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM

The biggest convenience of staying in the park is that you don't have to use the car. We found that it was a pain to move your car when we were there in july since it was so crowed. It was always hard to find a parking place.

Maybe in October it's not a crowed but I would alway choose to stay in the park if I had that option.
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:42 AM
E

Yes, IMO, it always makes more sense to stay in the park. That 2 miles can be a pain at sunrise and sunset, when everyone has the same idea: get to the rim! Parking is another pain. It's so much nicer to roll out of bed and stroll over for the sunrise...

The accomodation in the park isn't bad, clean and simple, but it's location, location, location. I strongly suggest reserving the best in-park rooms you can get, and checking frequently for better ones. You won't regret it!
Oct 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM

I agree, stay in the park if at all possible. We've stayed several times at different places in the park, some are better, all are good. Of the ones you mentioned, i'd go with Thunderbird.

Our only time outside of the park was at Red Feather Lodge. (its now a Rodeway???) It was fine, clean and convenient --- once we got into our room! This was the only hotel that 'lost' our reservation in our nine years of long, cross country road trips. (guess we've been lucky!) They were very kind about finding a room, but it was still strange.

Really surprised it's a rodeway!
Oct 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM

either the Thunderbird or Kachina will be fine...ck in at the desk at the Bright Angel Lodge.....think you will be happy....rests. are at the Bright Angel ,El Tovar and the Steakhouse.....also a Cafeteria about a 15 minute walk..also 2 lounges at BA and EL Tovar....and a Sports Bar by the CAFE. and grocery store..by Yavapai......stay on the rim if possible....El Tovar,Kachina,Bright Angel/lodge/cabins and Thunderbird.....
Oct 6th, 2005, 03:33 AM

We stayed at the Red Feather. Nothing special but then you only go to yoiur room to take a shower or sleep. Paul
Oct 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Lots of good advice here. Just a note or two. Thunderbird Lodge check-in is at Bright Angel Front Desk, Kachina's is at El Tovar. Both were renovated in 2004 so rooms are quite nice, partial canyon views from rim side, but even if you are on the street side, just exit the building and you're right on the rim! Definitely no traffice to see sunrise when all you have to do is step out of the building (although it's worth it to get on a tour or the west rim shuttle for a better sunrise view).

Current weather is upper 30's overnight, 50ish at 8am, upper 60's/low 70's in the afternoon, back down to 50's around sunset.