Restaurant for Steamed Crabs

Aug 13th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Restaurant for Steamed Crabs

Looking for a place in either Northern Virginia or DC to purchase bushels of steamed crabs. I know Maryland probably has a ton of good places but that's too far to travel. Anything in NOVA or DC? It doesn't have to be a fancy restaurant - could be a seafood market, etc.
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:37 AM
OliveOyl

We were directed to a hole-in-the-wall place in Alexandria by the concierge. It had newspaper on the table and mallets and picks for utensils...just the way it's supposed to. Nothing fancy inside or out, but it was terrific and worth the cab fare over. Unfortunately, the name and address are the only things I can't tell you...but I can tell you, they exist and perhaps someone else can supply a name.

Aug 13th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Main Avenue in DC (SE or SW?). The waterfront area, where Pruitt's barge recently sprung a leak, is a local favorite for fresh seafood. Uunfortunately, it's not going to be there much longer due to the proposed waterfront reconstruction, but enjoy while it's still around.
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:42 AM

The waterfront in DC. There are floating (and some sinking) fishmarkets in southwest DC right on Water Street. Can't miss them--across the 14th St bridge into the District and get off at the 6th/7th/Water street exit; go straight ahead. Yes, it's safe....I used to live right across the street. Moved to the Chesapeake just to get fresher crabs, hence the screen name.
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Waterfront seafood markets are on Maine Avenue SW in DC. We've purchased live by the bushel here - I'm sure steamed by the bushel is available also.
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:57 AM

OOOOP! Water...Maine....either way the parking stinks.

Search this Thread