restaurant/bar recomendations in nyc

Aug 1st, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

restaurant/bar recomendations in nyc

My wife and I are only going to be in NYC for 3 days around Thanksgiving and are looking for some don't miss restaurants(mid price) around the Sheraton Manhattan Hotel (55th and 7th)as well as neighborhood bars/clubs! Thanks in advance for you help!
Aug 1st, 2004, 10:30 AM

I always like Trattoria del Arte. Good Italian in a fun (but can be loud) atmosphere. Last time I was there our waiter was doing a wicked - and dead on - Kiefer Sutherland imitation (they're mostly actors).
Aug 1st, 2004, 01:53 PM

There are dozens of good restaurants in that area to choose from. What do you consider "mid price"? Also, why type(s) of food?
(PS: Your hotel is on 7th between 51st & 52nd.)
Aug 1st, 2004, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your help. Sorry we weren't more specific, we were just looking for the "not to miss" places to eat.. For Example, Tavern on the Green? Bobby Flay's restaurant etc? We like all kinds of food-ranging $100-150 per couple
Aug 1st, 2004, 03:18 PM

Tavern on the Green is a definite do miss. The food is medocre at best and while the setting is pretty it's really not worth the effort.,

If you must do TOG go for lunch and order defensively (entree salad or something else really simple).
Aug 1st, 2004, 03:24 PM

I agree with nytraveler about Tavern on the Green - lunch at best, but not a great place for dinner.
Aug 1st, 2004, 04:02 PM

It's not Midtown, but a short cab away... We like Blue Smoke in Gramercy Park on 27th between Park and Lexington. It's a pit BBQ joint with the various regional specialties such as Memphis baby backs and low country pulled pork sandwiches (*drool*). Other than charging $4 for an iceberg wedge, which I did order because I was in the mood for a $4 iceberg wedge... it's quite reasonable by NYC standards. I love their yummy vodka/ginger drink called the Moscow Mule. Mr. cher_cher is a BBQ afficianado and he gives it the smoke ring of approval

Downstairs is the Jazz Standard with a $25 cover on weekend nights. The cover is high, yes, but not as high as it's competition and definitely a better experience. Verrry comfortable and posh, not a bad seat in the house. Excellent service, too. And you can order the BBQ from upstairs. Actually the best experience I've ever had at a jazz club.

Neither of these places are tourist traps. You will see a predominance of fun/BBQ/jazz-loving locals. Look for the neon jazz and barbecue signs.

www.bluesmoke.com
Aug 1st, 2004, 04:04 PM

For that price, you can do very well in the area where you are staying. For starters:
*Remi--excellent Italian on West 53rd between 6th & 7th.
*Redeye Grill--excellent seafood at 7th & 56th.
And, I'll echo the sentiments of the others...you can do far, far better than Tavern on the Green.
Aug 1st, 2004, 04:14 PM

I will second Redeye Grill, as well! My parents looooove that place. Great sushi and even better if one of you loves sushi and the other hates it, because there is also an abundance of fish and steak dishes. Live jazz on most nights.