NYC Vegetarian Fine Dining

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Vegetarian Fine Dining

Looking for recommendations for Vegetarian restaurants in NYC (or Brooklyn) for friend's birthday dinner. Friend is not vegan, so places that include dairy or eggs on menu are fine.

Would like to find a place that offers a little more upscale setting since it is a special celebration dinner. BYOBs are fine, too.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Pure Food & Wine - 59 Irving Place (bet 17 &18th Streets) -- completely vegan and vegetarian.

Candle 79 -- East 79th between Lex and 3rd Avenue

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:37 AM
mp

Try the Bread Bar at Tabla - can be a bit pricy but very worth it.

less expensive - Gobo; Vatan does it have to be a vegetarian place? Every upscale place I can think of will do a vegetarian menu or version of their dishes, if asked . . .

check out menupages.com for addresses and menus
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Go see Tony Bourdain @ Les Halles -411 Park Avenue South or 15 John St.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Does it have to be a vegetarian restaurant? Almost every restaurant that I've been to in NYC has some wonderful vegetarian options (and often when I asked about it, they'd come up with variations of some of the other items on the menu that they could make without meat or fish), so if there is some restaurant that you'd like to try, I bet your vegetarian friend would be happy as well.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM

I was thinking the same thing as Travelkitty. And you could try a tapas restaurant, which would offer a variety of non-meat offerings. We like Sangria 46 (on Restaurant Row) -- nice, but I don't think I'd call it "fine dining."
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM

When I lived in New York, I often ate at Hangawi, which is upscale Korean.

It can easily take large parties, although it's a very quiet place, so people have to want that. Also, many of the tables are sunken, where you essentially sit at floor level, so if you want a regular table with chairs, you need to specify when you reserve.

It's a unique restaurant.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM

In case it wasn't clear:

Hangawi is vegan.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Counter:
http://www.counternyc.com/

and this opened recently

Broadway East:
http://www.broadwayeast.com/

as a non-meat eater, I prefer the latter.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Another vote for Tabla.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Since when is Tabla a vegetarian restaurant?

Pure Food and Wine is not only veg but also only serves uncooked foods. Quite expensive, too.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
mp

It isn't that Tabla or Bread Bar is vegetarian, but they have several vegetarian options, and is a fun place for a celebration. At least, that's my opinion.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM

That's my opinion, too, about Tabla...and as one who is *mostly* vegetarian, I found it to be a great restaurant.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

"Does it have to be a vegetarian restaurant?" Yes.

I understand any fine dining establishment in NYC will offer up 1 or 2 entrees that are meatless, or can whip something together for a vegetarian patron that might not even be on the menu, but this is my friend's birthday dinner. She's a good sport who regularly has to endure a dull plate of roasted vegetables or pasta primavera (as these are typically what is offered in a non-vegetarian restaurant) while the rest of us chow down on a quivering, bloody slab of red meat.

For one night, it would be nice to take her to a place where she can order absolutely anything on the menu and has more than just a limited number of options for her - the rest of us will save the steak tartare at Les Halles for another time.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM
mp

Really, check out Vatan, at 3rd Avenue and 29th Street - really good Indian vegetarian - lovely decor, an all you can eat feast that can be fun.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion mp, but when I looked at Vatan's website, it says they are closed for renovations and won't reopen until Fall 2008. I need a suggestion for this month.

Hangawi, Candle 79, Counter and Broadway East all look great and seem to fit the bill for a birthday dinner.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

My earlier response (which no one got, btw) was a joke. Mr. Bourdain loathes vegetarians. But I'm guessing vegans may not have the energy to actually laugh. (also a joke)...

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

WannaBe: I got your joke, hence my reference to skipping the Steak Tartare at Les Halles for this meal. Bourdain doesn't even work at Les Halles anymore as he's obviously far too busy filming his tv show (unless you count the recent show where he went back to Les Halles for 1 day to see if he could still handle the pressure of cranking out that many meals during lunch/dinner rush) and making guest judge appearances on "Top Chef".

Best of luck racking up those posts as I understand Fodors is hoping to add the number of posts made next to each user ID in the near future, and I know it's super important for some people on this board to have an impressive number next to their name.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Ceidleh:

Hangawi isn't the most lively of places and not really near any bars if your group wants to have cocktails after or before. The food can also be bland at times. If your friend is sick of having to compromise at restaurants, you might want to consider Counter or Broadway East so as to have a fine dining experience that is less "ethnic." Not that there is anything wrong with "ethnic" food, but it is always the compromise for one who doesn't eat meat. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM
mp

wow, Ceidleh - I learned 2 things - about Vatan being closed (that's a drag) and the Fodor's posting . . . cool.

I'll just make one more suggestion - Kyotofu, the Japanese tofu dessert bar on 9th Ave and 48th - I have some veggie friends who love this place . . here's the website:
http://kyotofu-nyc.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -