restaurant and activities for the BI and Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

planning ahead for our family trip in November. Spending 5 nights on the big island and 5 nights on Kauai. Would like any advice on good eats and must do activities! We like to eat at all kinds of restaurants-very nice to local cheap!
For activities we like to go to beaches, hike and bike, snorkel. We thought we would do a helicopter on one island-which is best? We would also do one luah and a couple of sailing trips. I have posted quite a bit on this board lately and the information is very helpful! We are staying at Mauna Loa Resort on the big island and Kiahuna Plantation on Kauai.
Thanks for any advice!
Tammy
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 02:50 PM

Hi Tammy,
I just got back from the BI (it's a world of difference than Kauai.) On the BI, I'd recommend Roy's for dinner - it's in the King's Shopping Center near the Hilton Waikola. While you're there, visit the Hilton just for fun - it's like Disney Land, Hawaii-style. If you like Chinese Food, we LOVED eating dim sum at the Kirin Restaurant at the Hilton. We stayed at the Fairmont Orchid which has a fabulous outdoor spa. You don't have to stay there to get a massage - it's worth the money, if you enjoy that sort of thing. Obviously, BI has volcanos, rainforests, mountains and beaches... all within reach. Have a great time!
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 04:19 PM

We liked visiting the Hilton Waikoloa for dinner on the Big Island, you can take a free boat ride just to get to the Italian restaurant (Donatellis?).
Must do activities on Big Island are Volcanoes National Park (visit active lava flow at end of chain of craters road)and Captain Cook snorkeling cruise aboard the FairWind II out of Kona. Also drive around the island for dramatic change of scenery.

On Kauai we liked sunset dinner at the Princeville Hotel (again many restaurants to choose from)and Friday night has a huge seafood buffet. The nearby Bali Hai (expensive) restaurant at Hanalei Bay resort is also good for sunset dinner view, though the interior of the dining area is plain. Perhaps you can check out the "Happy Talk Lounge"-we missed it.
In southern Kauai near Poipu area we liked Keoki's (inexpensive) and sunset dinner at the Beach House restaurant (expensive), suggest you reserve early for the Beach House restaurant (if not just walk in and get served at the bar for partial ocean view).
Must do activities on Kauai:
1. NaPali coast Trail (northern Kauai)
2. Kee Beach snorkeling on calm day (next to Napali coast Trail entrance)
3. Waimea canyon
4. Tour of Napali coast by boat or helicopter.
Enjoy your stay in paradise.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 04:48 PM

Tammy, Not sure if we wrote to each other, but I have a file with some personal Kauai info if you would like it. Just drop me a line.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:22 PM

There are a number of excellent hikes on the western and southern shores. Go to Kokee State Park website. I love the Canyon Trail, Awaphiawaphi (sp), alakai swamp. The Napali Coast is great but greatly comprimised if you get there later than 8am in the morning, too many families, too many people. That has been my experience on more than one hike there. There are wonderful hikes on the side you are staying on that won't be as crowded.

For Chow absolutely GO TO ROY'S. but it is not in the cheap category. The kids I have been with loved Keoki's paradise. You can look at their menu online and see if it falls into the cheap category.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:26 PM

To the extreme left of the Hyatt beach there is a great short trail the cuts into the ocean. Certainly worth a walk if you are exploring the grounds of the Hyatt as you might want to. Ironically few seem to explore this path, absolutely gorgeous!
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the ideas! Keep them coming! Is Kona a very busy or congested area? We are staying at Mauna Loa in Keahou-away from alli drive. The hikes sound good as does the snorkeling. The kids would like keoki's paradise I am sure!
Tammy
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 09:04 AM

For restaurant suggestions, do a text search for "Kauai and BI." There was a post about a month ago with 40 replies or so.

Also, just searching under Kauai will give a ton of posts that discuss activities.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 11:34 AM
iceeu2

Our very favorite restaurant on Kauai in March, 2003, was LaPlayita Azul...Hope it stays great...we loved it!!

Old Jul 6th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Topping puddy's suggestion for Tammy C.
Tammy see post from June entitled "Big Island and Kauai Restaurant suggestions"
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 01:26 PM

WaiPi'o is fabulous! www.topofwaipio.com
We chose the horseback ride and had a fascination day of fun and laughter! Waipi'o Valley artworks is fabulous, and there we enjoyed the best Kona IceCream imaginable. Hi to Roy & Jay and all the staff! We can't wait to return!