rental car advice

Mar 13th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

rental car advice

Just wondering which rental car companies anyone would recommend. I would like to hear about the good & bad. We are flying into Salt Lake City in June & trying to decide which company to use. We will be doing a good bit of driving going up to the Tetons & Yellowstone. Thanks for any suggestions!
Mar 13th, 2004, 10:13 AM

If you are going mainly to the Tetons and Yellowstone would suggest instead of flying into SLC and doing all that driving you look at Bozeman, MT which is 90 miles from the north entrance of Yellowstone or Billings, Mt. which is probably 30 or so miles longer but takes you over the fantastic Beartooth Highway into the northeast entrance of Yellowstone. You will pay considerably more but you could fly directly to Jackson, Wyo. The airport is inside of Grand Tetons NP. Have used Dollar in both Billings and Bozeman. Had minor problems both times and be sure you take a tire pressure gauge, have consistantly had low pressure on all rentals.
Mar 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM

I have flown into SLC and driven to Jackson Hole a couple of times. It takes about 4-4.5 hours. It is definitely cheaper than flying into Jackson and not a bad drive. Jackson is obviously more convenient. I use the same strategy each time I rent. I call 3-4 places and figure out who seems to have the best price. I do not give them any discount info until they have quoted me a price as I think that if you give it to them up front, they screw around with the price and you may never see the "discount". If one looks good, I book it and keep calling. You can always cancel later if you get a better price. One time In SLC I had a reservation at one company and walked up to another company that was slow and told them I had a reservation with another company (I did) and asked for their best price. They beat the price of the company I had reserved a car with so I walked over and cancelled my reservation and rented at the lower price.
Mar 13th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Always read the fine print and find out if it is realy unlimited mileage.
Several companys will only allow it in the state rented in .
Others will allow bordering states to the one rented in.
Hertz is my favorite ,I love their premium cars and real unlimited mileage.
If you decide to go into MT. this will matter

Mar 13th, 2004, 07:41 PM

Go to orbitz.com and prices for all the companies will come up. See who's got the best deal for the size car you want, then go to rentalcodes.com to see if there are any special codes available for that chosen company. THEN call or book directly with the car company online or via their 800 number.
Hertz: 800 654 3131
Avis 800 331 1212
NTL: 800 CAR RENT
ALamo: 800 GO ALAMO
Dollar 800 800 4000
Thrifty: 800 For Cars
I've had too much trouble with Budget to recommend them.
Mar 14th, 2004, 04:27 AM

Bid on PriceLine for a car. I usually go to orbitz or travelocity to see what the prices are like. Then I go to Hotwire and get a bid on the car I want. This bid you do not need to accept but it does give you the added taxes. Then I bid on PL knowing what amount of taxes will be added. I have saved as much as 50%.
Mar 14th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Hertz offers the best service. Also, if you are a member of AAA, you get a 10% discount for membership and you can get coupons from AAA for additional discounts.
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:28 PM

I also think that you should pay the Orbitz website a visit. If nothing else, it would save you a lot of trouble. Who knows, you might find something cheaper than what that particular company can even offer you.