Yellowstone -- flying in

Search

Yellowstone -- flying in

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone -- flying in

My family will be going to Yellowstone this summer for my parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary. We are wondering where is the best place to fly into and drive on into the park? Anyone out there with experience please give us some advice. Thanks
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 08:15 PM

There are several airports to consider.
Billings, Bozeman, Idaho Falls, Pocatello, and Salt Lake City. Also, there is a commercial airport near Jackson, Wyoming. Jackson is near the Tetons which are south of Yellowstone.

Although Salt Lake City is farther away than the others, going there usually results in lower air fares and rental car rates.

My son has flown into Missoula because of the low air fares available at the time. Missoula is a little farther away than Bozeman or Billings or Jackson, but he was weighing total cost against driving time, and he decided that Missoula was his best option.

I think you will need to consider your own budget, time requirements, and total vacation requirements before making a decision.

By all means do some comparison shopping
for air fares and rental car rates.
Some of those smaller airports have what I call "franchise" rental agencies and the car rates have daily milage limitations. If you exceed the limit, you pay extra per mile.

I have encountered that problem in Great Falls and Kalispell, Montana.

In Kalispell I had a 150 miles a day limit, which is nothing in those wide open spaces. But we wanted to visit Glacier, and time was a factor.

Since then we have flown into Salt Lake City and benefitted from cheaper air fares and better rental car rates. SLC, however, is not bargain basement.

The drive from the airport in SLC to Yellowstone is not bad at all. In fact, I rather enjoy it, but it does take a while. Depending on where in Yellowstone you go first, the distance is about 360 miles and the trip will take you about 5 to 6 hours depending on many variables.

From SLC to Pocatello Idaho is about 165 miles and it is on Interstate highway.
You can average 70 mph easily while driving. Most people pass me when I have driven it in previous years!!

Good luck in your planning.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 03:41 AM
iceeu2

We flew into Bozeman

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 07:34 AM

We flew into Jackson from Denver with United. Worked well. Jackson airport is samll so processing times were all v. short. Bags arrived within 15 minutes of landing. All major car hire outlets there.

Only downside for Yellowstone is that it can be a long drive. We were starting in Roosevelt (north east of park) so it took about 6 hours to drive there. Depends on where you are staying as to which airport works best.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:02 AM

We flew into Bozeman this past summer.We had great airfare and car rental rates with an easy drive to YNP.