Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are planning a honeymoon at the Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort in July. Was curious if anyone had any tips to ensure we have a great room. Dont know if they have any suites at the hotel. Have upgraded to the OCEAN VIEW rooms.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 07:38 AM

My husband and I also have reservations to be there in July (our first trip to Hawaii) and we've opted to "upgrade" to the Makapu Beach rooms which are supposed to be closest to the ocean w/ a private concierge and private pool for that section (it also includes breakfast buffet each morning). One poster indicated that these rooms would not be worth the extra cost (we are using marriott points to stay "free" but it will be an extra $120 per night for the Makapu rooms). Nobody has yet indicated any major differences in the rooms, though. I'd like to hear more from people who stayed there.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 09:38 AM

I don't think there are any real differences between the rooms. However, the best way to find out is to simply call the hotel.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Stayed at the Makapu Beach club and it is not worth $120 extra. We also saw the rooms in the main hotel and they were every bit as nice as ours. The only real extras were a very small pool, a private grassy area, and the breakfast. The main pool was so much nicer than the Makapu pool that we spent all of our time there. The only real advantage was being able to walk directly from your room to the beach without walking through part of the hotel Next time we would stay in an ocean view room in the main hotel rather than spend the extra money.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:20 AM
jja

This hotel is stingy about upgrades. I am platinum with Marriott and reserved an ocean view room (30,000 extra points). Asked about an ugrade and was told no. Asked about Makapu and was told for a fee.
Ocean view was poor. We were on the lobby level over 100 yards from the beach. Could not see the beach since we were just above the tree line.
Loved the Marriott however, Suite upgrade for 5 nights for the same points as 3 nights at the renaissance. The pool at the Marriott was incredible and the Renaissance has a pool you invision in a back yard. Go to www.wizardpub.com and look at the resort overview pictures. Pool and distance to the beach are a big differenc.
Renaissance is in a quieter area if you want to feel more sucluded. I again prefer more choices for food and activity, which again favors the Marriott.

I dont want to seem negitive about the Renaissance, it is a nice hotel, just prefer the Marriott if you are going on points.

Marriott is also now affilated with the outrigger next door to the Renaissance. I prefer the Outrigger as well
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:44 AM

I agree with jja comments above. I much prefer the next door Wailea Outrigger/Marriott to the Renaisassance. We are also platinum Marriot members and have stayed at the Marriott about 3 times in the past few months.Every time we have been automatically upgraded to rooms with awesome ocean views, once we even got a suite! In my opinion, the Outrigger/Marriott has much more tropical ambiance and it's "affordable."
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 12:56 PM

wow, you guys have some great information! I may change my current Renaissance reservations to 3 nights at the marriott and 3 nights at the Outrigger (since I'm using points) and save some money. I went to wizardpub.com and they mentioned that the Outrigger did not really have a beach, but beautiful views (the picture looked that way also). How are the rooms and pool at the outrigger? Is there a big difference between the size and view between ocean view and ocean front? Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:11 PM

The Wailea Marriott and the Outrigger Wailea are the same hotel---just recently the property acquired the Marriott brand and it's now called The Wailea Marriott at the Outrigger. (a bit confusing.)

We have stayed in all different types of rooms there. The best view was from one of the low rises, we had full on oceanfront view. We have stayed in the Haleakala Tower on the 8th floor with a "partial ocean view" and that was actually spectacular. We have stayed inthe least expensive garden view rooms in the tower and even that room was pretty nice.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:59 AM
jja

Dont worry about the beach at the Outrigger (Marriott Wailea). Just to the left is the beach in front of the Grand Wailea and to the right another beach.
I think the lava rock front to the Marriott Wailea adds to the island flavor. You really cant go wrong with any of the 3 Marriott properties on Maui. On nice thing about the renaissance is a singer in the lounge area at night. Really good, plays hawaiin music and older guitar toons like James Taylor.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:37 AM
jja

Dont worry about the beach at the Outrigger (Marriott Wailea). Just to the left is the beach in front of the Grand Wailea and to the right another beach.
I think the lava rock front to the Marriott Wailea adds to the island flavor. You really cant go wrong with any of the 3 Marriott properties on Maui. On nice thing about the renaissance is a singer in the lounge area at night. Really good, plays hawaiin music and older guitar toons like James Taylor.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:03 PM

The singer at The Renaissance, has a name. He is VERY good. He is Jamie Lawrence. Try to catch his show.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:52 AM

Yes, I definitely agree with Orchid about Jamie Lawrence, he usually plays every night in the Renaissance Wailea and he is wonderful.
I stayed there on my honeymoon and bought his CD, now when I play it I have a sweet reminder of my honeymoon. Have a great trip!