Relocation to Milwaukee area-please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family will be relocating to the Milwaukee area. We were looking in the Waukesha/Pewaukee/Brookfield area. My husband will be working downtown. ARe the suburbs I listed a good area to raise a family as well as decent travel time to work? It seems like overall the Wisconsin schools are very good. Any areas to avoid? I did a search and found some mixed reviews about Waukesha. Any other suggestions that provide affordable housing, 30 minute or less commute and great schools? Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:29 AM

Brookfield and Pewaukee are more "upscale" than Waukesha. As I'm sure you noted from the map, Brookfield is the closest to Milwaukee, then Waukesha, then Pewaukee. Pewaukee has a lake, if that matters to you. Areas still west of Pewaukee (Delafield, Wales, Oconomowoc) are less developed than the ones you mentioned. They are considered Lake Country. Of course, the trade off is a longer commute. Property values still west of that (Jefferson/Dodge counties) are much more reasonably priced but carry a pretty solid one hour commute to downtown Milwaukee. I don't know what is "affordable" to you. Generally, WI property values are reasonable (with high property taxes). However, the counties surrounding the Milwaukee metro area carry some of the highest price tags.

Overall, Wisconsin schools are very good. I would not suggest Milwaukee Public schools.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:36 AM

I live in Brookfield, and of the areas you mentioned, I would vote for Brookfield. The Elmbrook school district (in Brookfield) is excellent.

That said, all 3 are nice, and you can't really go wrong. I would say the only exception to that would be the eastern side of Waukesha, as the neighborhoods aren't as nice as you get closer to downtown Milwaukee. I would stay west of 70th or so.

As for the housing in general in each of these areas, here's the general rule: Waukesha is an older area, so you'll find older homes with lots of character. I really prefer the actual houses in Waukesha to those in Brookfield or Pewaukee, as they have the extra "character" that older homes (built in 40's and earlier) have that those built in late 50's and later don't. The down side is that the lots on which the houses sit in Waukesha are much smaller (generally) than those in the other 2 cities.

Argh, I could go on and on...I know it's all very confusing as I went through what you're going through a few years back. If you have further questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]. If you have questions about certain areas within these cities, I can give you specifics.

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for you suggestions. Do you know anything about the suburbs south of the city? How are Racine, Franklin, or Caledonia? I like that their location is closer to Chicago, but what are the towns like? Rural or urban? ANy more info? Thanks a lot.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:11 PM

Racine is not a suburb of Milwaukee, but a small city in its own right. Franklin is suburban, lots of subdivisions.

One thing to consider when deciding to live west and commute downtown: your husband will have the sun directly in front of him in both directions--not very pleasant.

What is your definition of affordable housing?
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:13 PM

Racine is an independent city, not quite part of metro Milwaukee, but defintely a reasonable commute to downtown. You'll find everything from run down inner city neighboorhoods to affluent suburban developments. Franklin is a solid middle class suburb that is only now really starting to develop. There is still a lot of open land there, but that's changing. Caledonia I don't know anything about. I wouldn't be too concerned about proximity to Chicago, or downtown for that matter.

Most of Milwaukee is within 20 minutes of downtown,, which is half the commute for the same distance in Chicago. You'll find theater, symphony, opera, museums and fine restaurants in Milwaukee, along with varied nightlife and increasingly better shopping opportunities. General Mitchell Airport has seen a lot of new flights in recent years from both discount and regular carriers. You should be pretty happy with what's available in Milwaukee, and you won't have the numerous hassles of living in the Chicago area.

I speak from experience, I'm a native Chicagoan, still living here, and Milwaukee is on my short list of places I would like to move to.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions. The reason I asked about Chicago is that we have family living in the city and I am curious how long it will take us to get there. I know that everything centers around rush "hour" times... which seems to be all of about 4 hours of the day.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:39 PM
kp

You might also look in the Town of Brookfield. It's between Brookfield and Waukesha. Waukesha schools, near I94 so the commute is easy, some nice sized lots with large trees. One of the reasons we lived there (have since moved) was property taxes were lower than Brookfield.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Come to Cudahy, Wisconsin. Small city about 8 miles south of Milwaukee on the lake. Great schools, safe, miles of parks along the lake, plus many other inland parks. New library. Good value in housing, also very expensive homes along the lake.

Train station is in Cudahy with a brand new stop for Chicago routes.

With some very upscale residential development in the next community and business development in west part of city, it is a good bet for increasing property values.

Only 20 minutes from your door to downtown, plus there is bus service on the #15, if you prefer.

Hospital in town. Can walk to stores and schools. No need to be driving all over.

South Milwaukee and St. Francis are the neighboring communities just south and north of Cudahy. They're ok too.

I was not born here, but I got here as soon as I could and have stayed in Cudahy 23 years.

No, I'm not the mayor's wife. Don't even really him.

Email me if you wish for more info.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Meant to put "don't even really KNOW him."
about the mayor.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Check out Muskego. It is in Waukesha Co, which has lower taxes than Milwaukee Co., but housing is still affordable unlike make Waukesha Co communities.

Also, the commute along I94 s becoming more and more or a nightmare. It is on the southern side of the metro area, making Chicago more in reach.

The schools are good and the city still has its own character.

Muskego is 36 square miles, but you if you live close to I43, the commute is easy. 20-30 minutes to downtown Milwaukee easily!

That said, I will admit that I live in Muskego. I lived in New Berlin before hand (higher taxes). DH owned a house in West Allis and graduated from Franklin. Franklin is a very nice community, but is an absolute tax hell- the worst in the area! We live less than a mile from the county line and my commute from door to door is RARELY over 30 minutes to downtown Milwaukee. Muskego has lots of new contruction as well as older homes. Check it out...
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 04:59 PM

2 school districts that are known for being very good are Mukwanago and Kettle Moraine. Both west of Brookfield. Also Arrowhead school district is nice. New Berlin and Waukesha not considered as good. Watch out for taxes!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the continuing information. What can you tell me about Hartland besides the good schools? Commute to downtown, shopping, restaurants? We are considering this area.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Hartland has a nice little downtown area, some nice parks. For major mall type shopping people drive to the mall in Brookfield or into Delafield. Delafield is just minutes away. Hartland is a pretty upscale community overall, very low crime rate, family oriented. A great place to raise kids and close to everything.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Hartland is about 25-30 miles from downtown Milwaukee, and not what I would call "close to everything".

Are you interested in country living, city living, close to the city suburban living?

The schools are also excellent in the suburbs north of the city, along Lake Michigan: Shorewood, Whitefish Bay and Fox Point. Property taxes are less outside of Milwaukee County; Mequon is the first suburb in Ozaukee Ocunty.
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:52 PM

Let me be blunt what is your "snob" affiliation? I do not ask insultingly. The brookfield and surrounding ares are heavily populated by the snop, yuppie etc. types. If that is you then go for it. Racine is distant from Downtown Milwaukee but do-able at 45 minutes even not taking the freeway. If you are not the snob yuppie type look into Cudahy, South Milwaukee. for example. Older and more rooted in past values I guess would be a good way to say it. CAUTION - SOME OF THESE WESTERN BURBS ARE KIND OF ATTRACTIVE NOW BUT NEXT WEEK IT HAS ALL CHANGED DUE TO CONSTRUCTION AND THE SUPPORT STRUCTURE IS NOT THERE SO YOU DRIVE EVERYWHERE FOR EVERTHING - DOUBLE TRIPLE CAUTION AVOID AT ALL COST A FREEWAY COMMUTE IT IS BAD/DANGEROUS AND ONLY GETTING WORSE. Therefore Cudahay would be a good anti-commute choice as an example. Get an apartment somewhere first and explore the various options. I live nicely tucked away in Quiet traditional South Milwaukee and work in Racine area. Brookfield and similar areas I stay away from. One wrong turn in a subdivision and it makes no sense. Good luck and welcome to a very nice metro area.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 04:03 AM

Wow. Somebody's cranky. I'm not crazy about suburban sprawl myself. I live in a close in suburb of Chicago, that combines the best aspects of city and suburban living, similar to South Milwaukee or Cudahy. Still, I've never felt hostile to the more distant suburbs. I even like visiting them sometimes. It almost sounds like you're jealous you can't afford to live in a McMansion yourself.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:15 AM

MG, it sounds to me like you're looking for something outside of the city, am I correct? If so you probably wouldn't be interested in living right downtown although there is a lot of really neat condo's and lofts right along the river. Personally I think Shorewood and Whitefish Bay have the best schools in the Milwaukee area and that area is very, VERY nice but quite urban. I grew up in Shorewood.
I live in Franklin now but gidget is correct about the tax situation although we still have a lot of open space and a fairly rural feel. I personally like the rural areas but to really answer your question, maybe you can be a little more specific about what you want. Lots of space or more city like?
Personally I can't say I think much of Brookfield and my brother who lives there is looking to get out. Their city planning (or lack thereof) has led to a mass of strip malls, car dealerships and big box stores. True there are some nicer subdivisions but the area as a whole is a lesson in pitifully inadequate planning.
Anyway if you can be a little more specific maybe we can come up with something that's really a good match and WELCOME to Milwaukee!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:03 AM

Beware of the extremely high taxes in Pewaukee. Also, IMO the houses are way over-priced. My brother lives there and said that recently at a town meeting, an 80 year old lady who has lived in on the lake in Pewaukee forever is going to have to move because she can't afford to pay her $25,000 tax bill. How sad is that!!!