Richmond, VA: What is the scoop?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to do a rotation for my medical profession through Richmond, VA. I'm very curious what the scoop is with this town. I have no choice, I'm already here, so "don't go there" isn't a valid answer.

Where are the "nice" parts of town? If you had to rent a place, where in town would it be? Where do the upper middle class families settle around here?

Please be specific with streets and suburb names.... I hardly know the area, and using a nickname for a neighborhood will be lost on me.

Thanks!!!
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:42 AM
GoTravel

If I were single I would settle in Five Points, Fan Distric, and Monument Avenue.

Gorgeious town equal parts northern and genteel southern.

Old May 1st, 2006, 11:58 AM

My husband and I have lived in many cities over the past 5 years and Richmond is our favorite so don't believe the bad things you hear about Richmond. As far as where to live, it depends on the types of housing you like. The closest areas to the hospital are the Fan, the North Side, and the waterfront area. My husband and I lived in the Fan and loved it - all old Victorian row homes. The North Side is more Arts and Crafts cottages, and the waterfront is new apartments.

Fan:
http://www.fandistrict.org/
http://www.historicrichmond.com/fan.html

Northside:
http://www.historicrichmond.com/northside.html

Waterfront:
http://www.historicrichmond.com/tobaccorow.html
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM

Nice areas can be found near Monument Ave and in the West End, but I wouldn't want to live further from downtown than the Libby and Grove area. Stay away from the Southside, which is across the river from the hospital. Also check out Carytown (near the shopping area of Cary St) and houses close to Boulevard (a main road that crosses Monument Avenue). Do you have children? Be sure to take them to the Children's Museum (on Broad) and Maymont Park.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you have kids and plan to put them in a public school, then look in Midlothian which is a suburb south of the river(actually west of the city). The zip code 23113 will put you in a very good school district and nice neighborhoods. You can check on realtor.com If you need a real estate agent, my best friend is one. I will only post her name if you ask Top elementarys are Bettie Weaver Elementary and Robious Elementary, Midlothian middle school, Midlothian High School and James River High Schools would be my choice.
The west end of town is another area to look at. The near west end will be close to carytown(greenwich village type area). There is a very nice neighborhood called Windsor Farms. It is expensive and your kids will be in private school. Monument ave has good and bad areas near it. It has some great old homes. If you look further west, Henrico county will set you back into the good public schools. I am not as familiar with the neighborhood names on the west end. Two good high school districts are Mills Godwin or Douglas Freeman High.
Both the Midlothian area and the West End area are the desirable areas to live. They are nice homes with good schools. North of the city and east are not desirable and I doubt you would want to live there.
The "in areas" like the Fan are more geared toward singles, young or newly married. It has some cool, ethnic restaurants. The area has begun to change and the Virginia Commonwealth University is taking over a large portion of downtown that was falling apart.
I would never say don't make the move here. We have been extremely happy here. We made the move 8 years ago from NJ for a job and it was a great move.
The area is getting more congested than it was 8 years ago and building is on the rise everywhere.
Which hospital are you with? That would make a difference in where you may want to or need to live. Some docs need to live a certain time-frame from the hospital.
Feel free to ask away!
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

I spend most of my time at the VA... does that narrow it down?
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:50 PM
Kal

Alohaaa,
If I may dawgpile on and ask a Richmond Q, too Honest Abe?

Coming back there soon for a weeek long seminar and I'm told I'll be out around Arboretum Place?

I'll do the usual Googling and cityseaching but any locals with info would be appreciated?
Any decent restaurants, bars, malls within walking distance?
Mucho Mahalos.
Kal
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:44 PM

Kal, the Arboretum is on Midlothian TPk. (I think) it is also known as Rt.60. I believe there is a Chilis restaurant in the complex where the Arboretum is. If you drive west,there are many chain restaurants and a mall. If you drive east on 60, it will get seedy after a couple of miles.
Hope that helps.
Honest Abe,
I am not familiar with the VA hospital. What area is it located in? Is it downtown? and are you interested more in city living or suburban family living?
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM

Honest Abe: Are you referring to MCV Hospital downtown? Or a Veterans Hospital? (I have not heard of the Veterans Hosp.)
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:45 PM

Uh-oh, I don't think Richmond is ready for Kal yet! We drove through last summer and got a room through Hotwire or Priceline (can't remember). One of the hotels offered was the Amerisuites that had Arboretum in its name. Check it out, Kal on www.biddingfortravel.com or www.betterbidding.com, if you're looking for a place to say.

Lived in the Fan while doing graduate work in Richmond during the 70s. It was a wonderful place to be single!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:31 AM
Kal

Alohaaaa and thanks, g'go!

Bets,
You went to kollidge?
This is for "biddness" so I was told Amerisuites or Sheraton on Arboretum Pl.

BTW....about 20 yrs ago I was told Boston and Hartford weren't ready for me....they were right!
Statutes of Limitation should expire soon, tho.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM

Kal, The Sheraton is a little further down the road from the Arboretum. It is called the Sheraton Park South. It is nicer looking than the Amerisuites. I stayed at the Sheraton, but it was when we moved in 8 years ago. It was nice than,but that is a long time ago. Next to the Sheraton is an Applebees. You can walk there. You will find numerous restaurants in the area.