Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Asheville area - (help me Leah)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it's not me moving, but my best friend *sniff*. She wants to be close to Asheville, or at least within a 25-30 min drive of the Biltmore Village area (new job location). She just got some sticker shock when she saw what the prop values are compared to Greenville.

I think the proximity of I26/40 to the new job means that she could be considerably south of Asheville and still be within the 30 minute driving mark. She wants at least 2000 sq. and no tract-type housing (no matter how high-end) and no trailers in the back yard.

What areas should she start driving around? Does getting south of Asheville help the prices significantly? I assume Flat Rock is quite high as well? Any undiscovered pockets of bargain housing? They are thinking somewhere in the $200 range, $300 max. Thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:59 AM

2000 sq ft is pretty big and she wants to pay $100-$150/sq ft? Traffic isn't that big of a deal around here and she could be to Biltmore Village from a number of areas pretty quickly. I think actually the traffic and congestion are worse in South Asheville because that's were everyone is building.
Here would be my preference:
Weaverville - little downtown area and you can get into Asheville in about 10-15 and another 10 to Biltmore Village.
Fairview area (East Asheville) by Reynolds h.s - she can go the back way and depending on how far out probably around 20 minutes-25 minutes
North Asheville - she might find something in the Haw Creek area - maybe
I have a good friend who is a realtor with Keller Williams here in Asheville - Jenny Wright - it's the office on Tunnel Road.
Your friend should look at on-line listings first, drive around and then narrow it down a bit. I'd be happy to help if she sees some things she likes as far as neighborhoods. What she won't be able to get is Biltmore Forest, Montford or Grove Park area unless they are in pretty rough shape.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

She found a few things on the net we are going to look at tomorrow. (any excuse to skip work and go eat lunch in Asheville) Do you know anything about these areas/subdivisions?

Rosehill rd Asheville
High Vista subd Arden
Indian Falls estates, Merril Ridge area
Beaverdam road
Sequoia Hills subd, Fletcher
Riverport subd, Arden

Thank you so much!

OH, in answer to your question on another thread, I didn't notice small portions at Fig, but then again, I'm little and most restaurant portions make me uncomfortable the rest of the day. not that that stops me. ;-0

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:24 AM

I don't know the Arden/Fletcher area very well. I've been to High Vista and it is a pretty community though I get the impression it is more retirees. It is actually closer to Hendersonville than Asheville. Arden and Fletcher would be considered South Asheville - where a lot of the new construction is happening. It depends what your friend is looking for - I'm not into that - just a little bland and too suburban. I'm not familiar w/ Rosehill Rd but will look it up. Beaverdam is a VERY desirable neighborhood. If she finds something there I would buy it. You are close to Beaverdam lake, an Ingles Supermarket, Fresh Market, about 10 min at the most from downtown - on a bad traffic day. Very pretty established neighborhood with lots of trees and good schools, golf course, nature area....
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Rats. I'm hoping she'll stay closer to me by picking the S. Asheville area, plus her parents are in SC.

But the way you describe s. asheville sounds like Woodruff rd/Eastside Greenville, where EVERYBODY parks their house. I don't even DRIVE out there if I can help it, let alone live there.

And they have located the new WHOLE FOODS MARKET on Woodruff rd...I'm sure it will take me longer to get in and out of the parking lot than to shop, but I'm thrilled anyway!! I wonder if Whole Foods will land a store in Asheville? I'm really enjoying Greenlife...wonder how many high end g. stores the city can support? Guess we should take this food talk to chowhound ;-)
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:26 AM

I'm still trying to think of some S. Asheville areas that aren't so suburbanized.
Greenlife is about 5 blocks from my house. It's more like a cafe than a grocery store - prices are too high to make it competitive with anyone but Earthfare. I'd be surprised to see Wholefoods come in any time soon - except maybe S. Asheville - since Earthfare has such a strong presence for a similar demograhphic and of course Ingles has brought in LOTS more organic foods that can be bought cheaper than at Whole foods or Earthfare.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM

As the token south Ashevillian, I'm going to wade into this discussion.

Leah is correct that much of south Asheville is being developed. However, one of the joys of Asheville is that there are still pockets of rural life in close proximity to the city, due to the terrain. I'm on 2+ acres, surrounded by trees, with turkeys, bears, deer, groundhogs, and other assorted wildlife in my neighborhood all the time. Yet I am only 5 minutes from the nearest Blockbuster.

I know a few things about the areas you mentioned. Rose Hill Road is in the Reynolds area, in SE Asheville. It is both rural and suburban in nature, and the housing prices are probably not as high as in true south Asheville. (There's a twisty mountain road that connects Rose Hill to the rest of south Asheville.) It's probably 15 minutes from Biltmore Village.

High Vista is going to be more expensive. It's a gated community (and is actually closer to Asheville than Hendersonville, although it doesn't seem close to the city). I don't know Indian Falls, but the Merrill Ridge area is very pretty. It's one of those isolated areas in south Asheville, much like where I live in the same area. Probably a 20 minute drive to Biltmore Village.

As Leah mentioned, Beaverdam is in north Asheville, and is a beautiful area. It is very desirable. Sequoyah Hills is a small subdivision just off Mills Gap Road, in south Asheville. The traffic is not so great on Mills Gap (relative to Asheville standards) in the morning (7:30-8:00) and evening (5:00-5:30). Otherwise it's a 15 minute drive to Biltmore Village. I'm not familiar with Riverport at all, but it's also in south Asheville.

I like living in south Asheville, because I am convenient to a lot of stores and services, yet I'm also in a heavily wooded, mountainous area. Housing costs are an issue--I won't lie. I paid $125/sq ft three years ago for a new house, and I thought I got a great deal. And if you live in the county outside of a neighborhood with an owner's association, you run the risk of having a trailer in the back yard.

(By the way, I have it on reasonably good authority that Whole Foods is looking at Asheville, particularly south Asheville. I also know EarthFare has looked at placing a store in this part of the city, too.)
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Phan -

We did some house looking on Fri. Holy Cow, I'm glad I'm not looking for a house in Asheville for less than $300k.

Here's what we found:

Beaverdam road: very smart realtor took us on a short cut that went within sight of Grove Park on the way to this property. How do you get a house in this neighborhood for $272K? You have to not mind a trailer in your front yard. Yes, who knew there were trailers around there, but there are, and the house was on a bit of hill so the primary view was the lovely roof of the trailer and assorted add-ons 50 yards below.

Riverport: the "port" part indicates that the house is practically on a landing strip.

Sequoyia Hills: not too bad, but overpriced.

Haw Creek: OMG...we were afraid to even walk in a shack like we found for a "bargain" $197k.

High Vista: The most expensive house we looked at seemed like a massive bargain compared to the other stuff. $291k in a gated comm. w/ a mountain view, granite, stainless, landscaping, and a newer house...compared to other stuff much, much less desireable for $25-$50 less.

Somehow we missed the Rose Hill property, but sounds like my friend should check it out.

Anything for sale in your neighborhood ?

Thanks again , all.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I know you would like her to be on the south side of town...think about Mills River or Bent Creek area. The latter is close to the Arboreteum and BRPkwy and lots of hiking trails.
Otherwise she might want to look into the Fairview area ...
I think those properties are out there - she might need to ratchet down her 2000sq foot to get an area she really likes. My neighborhood is kind of transitional but is super convenient to downtown - I can walk. The problem is to get something around $200K that is fairly large you'd have to do some fixing up or an older house. Our house is just under 1600sq ft and relatively new - 10 yrs and we could probably sell it for $250K.