Greenville SC to Asheville & Back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just booked a last minute business trip to Greenville, it will be my first time in the area. I have most of the afternoon on Monday to visit the Biltmore Estate. I've been cruising through some of the posts on other things to do in Asheville after the estate closes. Since it will be after 5PM seems like the Parkway would be the best bet. Any other after 5PM activity suggestions? I enjoy walking and moderate hiking.

I've been reading the restaurant suggestions, any recommendations for BBQ in Greenville or Asheville, is this a BBQ area?

Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:27 AM

Not sure hiking off the Parkway after 5 would be a good idea--it will get dark quicker in the mountains. Folks from Asheville can offer things to do downtown I am sure.
Table Rock State Park is not far from Greenville and offers wonderful outdoor activities.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:59 PM

From Greenville, take Hwy 276 north. You'll drive by Ceaser Head State Park, which is at the most a mile from the North Carolina State line. The overlook is beautiful. Hwy 276 takes you to Brevard, which is a very pretty little town with quaint shops. Head to the Pisgah National Forest, where there are several waterfalls right off of the road. If you have time, check out Asheville and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:01 PM

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. Asheville isn't really a bar-b-que kind of place, I can't think of any great bar-b-que places in the area.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:46 AM

After you leave the Biltmore house, you can go south on 25 until you see the parkway exit. Drive either direction, many of the roadside overlooks have trails going off from there. Sundown is not 'til after 9:00 these days, so you should be fine...just allow yourself more time than you think you need, it's true that dark falls fast if you are on the wrong side of the mountain and weather changes fast too.

Asheville, all in all, has much better restaurants than Greenville, so you should drive back into Asheville for dinner before heading back down 26/25. I'm not a BBQ person, but would recommend Salsa for funky Carribbean, or Zambra for more upscale wine and tappas.

I live in G'ville and travel to Asheville almost every week, so if you have specific questions, ask.
Of course, if you meant Monday 7th, then nevermind
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Depending on your route and whether or not you get involved in rush traffic, downtown Greenville to Asheville is about 2+ hours each way. I say that because your post gives the idea that they are near each other.

The route via 276 through Brevard has very slow mountainous roads, and the interstate through Spartanburg is notorious for traffic congestion and delays.

My suggestion is that if you want to see Biltmore, enjoy. But I would not plan on doing other things also.

Plan B would be to drive up 276 and enjoy the view at Caesar's Head. Hike for a bit, then - before dark - head back to Greenville for dinner, drinks and the sack.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:05 PM

skip -

one gets to Asheville from Greenville up Hwy 25, then to 26. It takes no more than 1 1/2 hours, downtown to downtown. I live in the northern part of G'ville county and I get to the Biltmore exit in about 45 min.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:11 AM

When you get home, how about telling us what you did?
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 12:46 PM

In Greenville, I suggest Henry's Smokehouse for BBQ. 240 Wade Hampton Blvd., near downtown. (864) 232-7774.

Though I love Asheville, I don't turn my nose up at downtown Greenville, which has some excellent restaurants - you might try Lemongrass Thai, Soby's, Trattoria Giorgio, or Bistro Europa, for starters.