Investing in Asheville area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering purchasing a property and I'm drawn to Asheville area due to the art community, restaurant and surrounding mountains.
I really enjoy Asheville when I have visited but I am evaluating surrounding towns due to traffic, high real estate costs and forums that I have been reading regarding Asheville living. The towns that I am considering are: Hendersonville, Candler or Leicester. However, I am open to other towns.

Does anyone have feedback on surrounding areas that are close enough to commute to downtown Asheville, however, still provide privacy, mountain views and a peaceful setting.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 03:40 AM

I would guess you'd need to go and engage a real estate agent to see this. Hendersonville and Candler are a good way aways for "commuting". Are you planning to work in downtown Asheville?
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 05:08 AM

Depending on where in Hendersonville, the commute into Asheville can be fairly lengthy and traffic can be problematic. Depending on how far you are willing to commute, you might look in Fairview, Black Mountain, Marshall, Weaverville, or even as far as Pisgah Forest or Brevard. Housing and land values in western NC are high everywhere if you are looking for mountain views with convenient access to Asheville, but it is a wonderful area in which to live. The central Asheville real estate market never really slowed down much during the recession, and it is now coming back stronger than ever. More properties are showing up in the market, but proximity to downtown, the River Arts District, and other desirable neighborhoods definitely bring a premium.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Yes; thank you - I will be engaging a realtor and I have visited several times. I'm not looking to work locally; my intention is to invest for a vacation/retreat rental.
Therefore, a daily commute is not a concern. However, I still want to make it desirable for those who want to visit the area and not be too far from downtown Asheville.

My visits are always vacation oriented and we drive to the mountains or to/from downtown. Therefore, my exposure to different towns is limited. I would like feedback from those who live in the area regarding different neighborhoods in the surrounding towns that would be a desirable rental location; preferably with Mountain views.

I once stayed in black mountain. However, the homes in the neighborhood that we stayed at had small yards.
I also stayed in a very nice home in Riceville. However, it really did not have mountain views.
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 03:23 AM

Maybe you should look at VRBO and find a pleasant rental with all you want and look at that area to purchase.
Burnsville is a great little town--not sure about commuting to Asheville. Weaaverville also.
Hendersonville is not really in the mountains so much, IMO. I think you would have to look north and west for mountain views.
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 02:10 PM

If you are interested in investing in vacation rental property in the Asheville area be aware that the city of Asheville has cracked down on short-term rentals in much of the city. After numerous complaints from residential neighborhoods about absentee owners buying up property for short-term vacation rentals the City passed an ordinance limiting those types of rentals to the central business area and a few specific areas. http://www.citizen-times.com/story/n...hall/32367343/

Homeowners can still rent rooms in their homes, but the owners must be occupying the residence. This does not effect property in the county outside the city limits.

Investment property in Asheville, and the communities and counties with easy tourist access to the city are hot commodities. Most of the vacation rental homes that cater to Asheville visitors are no more than 30 minutes from downtown. And closer than that to hiking trails, trout fishing, the Parkway, and other amenities. Every community surrounding Asheville has its plus and minuses. And practically every area has mountain views somewhere. So I wouldn't limit myself to any one community. Work with an agent who understands what you are looking for and go look at a lot of properties. Spring time will be a fun time to go searching. But, as with all real estate, it all depends on your budget.