relocating from california to colorado

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to move furniture from California to Denver in the middle of Dec. We probably have to hire a truck and do the move ourselves. How often do I-80 in Wyoming and I-25 in Colorado typically get shut down because of snow at that time of year?

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM

I-80, occassionally. I-25, rarely. I-80 is subject to blowing snow which is when they close the highway.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM

Have you looked into using PODS? You pack your things yourself into a "container" they put it on a truck and take it to your destination and then you unpack.

It would save you a lot of possible hassle --

http://www.pods.com/

Deb
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:41 AM
MaureenB

I would be concerned about trying to drive a loaded truck in wintertime, unless you are an experienced truck driver. And renting a truck one-way is probably very expensive, plus feeding it gas. The POD idea might be more cost-effective and a lot less stress.
>-

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I am trying to discourage my relatives from trying to do this themselves. I've contacted the POD people. Surprisingly, it sounds more expensive than a regular mover. POD said $1.90 to $2.50 a mile. Is that your experience? I haven't gotten an actual quote yet. There are some other logistics issues. Are they pretty good at arriving when they say they will arrive?
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:13 AM
MaureenB

Be careful pricing movers. Do NOT register at one of the on-line moving sites, because you will be bombarded with e-mails and phone calls from questionable movers. I've heard lots of horror stories from people who have used those on-line companies-- like they won't deliver your stuff till you pony up another $500, etc. Stick with the big companies that are nationally known, is what I've been told.

Good luck. Moving is not fun IMHO.
>-

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
dmlove

Even the big moving companies typically only give you an eyeball estimate, not a fixed price (unless something has changed since I last looked into this, which was awhile ago). Be sure you know what you're getting.

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Do you consider POD an online mover? We did talk to a couple of the big companies...with all the logistics and complications involved, that's how renting our own truck evolved as the solution.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:58 AM
MaureenB

No, I don't think of POD as one of the low-life on-line movers. I've seen PODs in neighbors' drives, but have never used them myself. I did price them once, and they aren't cheap. But I like their concept. Especially if you need the storage at either end of the move.
>-