DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?

Old Dec 6th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?

Looking at flying into Denver Airport the middle of February and driving over to Estes Park and RMNP. None of the rental agencies will guarantee a 4x4 rental. Is this something that I will really need? I have little to no experience driving on snow/ice (thanks to growing up in Texas) so I was really looking into it to make it easier for me but it may be completely unnecessary. Any tips are appreciated!
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 02:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Well, like so many things in life the answer is "it depends". It will depend on what the weather has been in the days/weeks leading up to your trip.

In general it would be nice to have a 4x4, but it's possible all of the main roads will be mostly dry, even if it has snowed recently. Or, there could be two feet of snow. No way to predict.

Limit night driving as much as possible and, day or night, be aware of black ice. This occurs when it warms up during the days after a snowfall, water flows across the road, rapidly freezes at dusk, and there is a thin layer of almost invisible ice on the surface. Not trying to scare you, but the stuff is dangerous.

If you can land a 4x4 then do it (though it does not help with stopping on ice), and good luck in any case.
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 02:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Having lived a few years just west of Denver in Golden, I'm not sure booking yourself into a particular time frame in February is a good idea. If your sole reason for visiting the area is to see the mountains, there are no guarantees, 4x4 or no 4x4. Even if you're there when there's no active winter storm, there can still be icy roads, right in the city let alone at higher elevations. I'd lived in Montreal so you know I had experience driving in snow, yet on Denver streets a couple of times my car slid sideways to the curb on a slight incline while standing perfectly still at a traffic signal. Colorado in winter is no place for a novice on a schedule behind the wheel.

Go in summer or maybe consider looking for some kind of tour.
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 06:08 PM

I've lived 20 miles from RMNP (30 years) and we often go there, all seasons. If the weather is bad, you simply don't want to go. But, it can be sunny and in 50s, with dry roads.
Denver is no gauge, Colorado cities have lousy snow removal, due to the expectation of sun.
If you need 4wd, you don't want to be driving.
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 06:20 PM

There's probably little that's scarier than a tourist with 4 wheel drive. Have lived in or near the mountains for years and front wheel drive plus considerable caution is better than 4 wheel.
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 04:05 AM

Yes, newbies in 4 wheel drive can be an adventure. Snow is fine but ice is not. It makes no difference in stopping distance on ice.
I'd say go if you want but snow is a real possibility. Of course, there is a lot to do and see in Denver and near environs.
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Why RMNP?

You could get to the mountains without driving.
From Denver, there's a ski train to WinterPark, or Amtrak to Fraser.
And other options to Summit County from Denver.

Dream vacation: take Amtrak.
Stay at Devil's Thumb Ranch, which will pick you up at the train station in Fraser.
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Well the last thing I want to do is get in over my head and become a danger to anyone, including myself. We have always booked a transfer service to take us to/from the airport and from that point there has always been some type of bus system to get us around the town so we've never had to drive ourselves. Which is how we prefer it. We know that we are not expert snow and ice drivers so we are completely fine letting the pros get us where we need to go. Unfortunately if we booked a transfer from DIA to Estes Park, we would have no way to get to RMNP since their shuttles only run in the summer time. If anyone has any suggestions of how we could get around Estes without having to rent a car ourselves I would love to hear it. That is ideal for everyone in this situation I think.
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Looking for a quick weekend trip Taber. Otherwise the Amtrak to Fraser would be awesome. Will keep that info tucked away for when we have more time to spend.
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 10:57 AM

If the weather is good, you can drive to Estes from DIA; however, note that US34 will be closed until late spring-summer of 2017, so you would take US 36.
If you took a transfer to RMNP from DIA, you would rent a car in Estes Park.
As stated earlier, this would all be weather dependent, and there would be no point in all this travel from DIA if it was snowing, regardless of front or 4WD.
If you rent a car (from DIA, Boulder, Estes, wherever), the roads in RMNP will be limited on the eastern side (go to Bear Lake, and/or Trail Ridge to where it's closed; you can enter and exit the park via 2 entrances that will be opened near Estes(even go in one way, out the other).
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 12:28 PM

Now I'm wondering why RMNP in winter also. It is easy to drive up to the mountains if sightseeing is what you want. Or what Tabernash sugested.
What do you expect in Estes Park? I'm sure it's "open" but it may not be what you think.
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 02:42 PM

Actually RMNP is much nicer during the winter months than at other times in part due to the lack of crowds. I think I'd prefer it over almost any other area in Colorado. That said, the drives in the park will only take a half day at the most.
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 03:10 PM

Yup; the snowshoeing and cross-country skiing are great, scenery is stunning, no crowds!
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 03:43 PM

Just checked and Estes Park Shuttle not only offers transport to/ from airport but they will also arrange tours of the park. Check out their website. I did have to double check on their tours...look for area tours in the bottom left- hand corner. They may or may not offer service in winter. This is a shuttle tour company not the typical shuttle that only runs during tourist season.

www.estesparkshuttle.com
Old Dec 8th, 2016, 07:13 AM

Wow. That would be a great option. Please let us know if it's available in the wintertime, Lauren.
Old Dec 9th, 2016, 08:27 PM

You do understand that only the lower portion of RMNP will be open in Feb and Trail Ridge Road across RMNP will be closed till Memorial Day weekend.

It you no to min experience driving on snow and ice the last thing you want to rent is a four drive vehicle. A standard front wheel car will be more than adequate. If road condition are so bad that a 4-wheel drive vehicle would be beneficial, you have no business on the road. Park it. Unless you are into winter sports, EP will be pretty dead at at time.
Old Dec 10th, 2016, 07:37 AM

For your own peace of mind, rent an all-wheel drive vehicle, not 4WD.
Do not rent a front-wheel drive SUV. It won't be as sure-footed.

Find videos that will teach you what it means 'to steer into a spin'. Because it happens.

Better yet, take the train.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 11:16 AM

I am not sure of the distinction trying to be made between all-wheel drive vehicle and a 4 wheel drive vehicle. The performance and handling on snow and ice is going to be identical. Technically only a very few high end sports cars are all wheel drive. The AWD designation common to cars and SUVs is really part time four wheel drive with the vehicle running in front wheel drive nearly all the time. Or you can call it on-demand four wheel drive.

"Steer into a spin" is bit out dated. It applies to spins initiated by rear wheel drive vehicles. Since there are few rear wheel drive vehicles left, that type of spin and required action is gone.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

For sure going to look into that historytraveler. Sounds like the best option for me. Thanks for the pointers! Everything you said is exactly where my mind is at for those of you with questions about why I chose RMNP in the winter time. I will just keep my eye on the weather and make a decision closer to the time of the trip.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 01:58 PM

fmpden, please leave me alone. You criticize every single thing I post. I live in Colorado, too. Your opinion is not the only one that counts. But I am sure you come back to argue, because you must have the last word. You're boring.

This is simply not true: "Technically only a very few high end sports cars are all wheel drive". My 1999 Volvo wagon is AWD. So is our newer Santa Fe. So is DD's RAV4. I could go on. . .. You're just wrong. Again.

When the rear end of the car comes around, to start a spin, you turn the direction you want to go, which is "into" the spin. The Santa Fe has done that to me a couple of times, on very snowy, icy, twisty roads. So, yes, that advice is still current. My AWD Volvo, on the other hand, never falters.