driving I-70 through Colorado

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be driving through Colorado on I-70 and will be hauling a 30' fifth wheel. I was told
that we wouldn't be able to as the interstate is too steep and curvy to haul this size of trailer. Can someone tell me if it is possible or not. Thanks
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:44 PM

I'm sure that Colorado has a state transportation agency with a web site.....
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:04 PM

Try Colorado Department of Transportation, commonly called CDOT. Their website would be a good place to start.

Call an RV dealer in the Denver area. They would know the answer, I think. I don't have any specific one in mind. I see very long trailers all the time on I70 and semi trucks much bigger than that.
I70 Is a modern highway used by all sorts of vehicles.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:45 PM

Sounds unlikely ... all I see is a rule about total length of vehicle and trailer ... "Maximum Length - RV & Trailer Combo: 70ft."

For sure you want good brakes for the downhill portions but many people drive the interstates thru the mountains with 30 ft trailers ...
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:10 AM

We see all sorts of trucks and trailers on I-70 all the time.

But lots of them will be pulled over to the side, because their engine has overheated. Especially on long uphill climbs. So make sure your truck can haul the load!

Check with CDOT, as well.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:54 AM

yes you have to watch the hills - engine and brakes. and on some roads there are laws that if there are more than 5 cars stcuk behind you on an uphill that you have to ull over to let them pass. I don't think that's I70 though.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:46 AM

I70 is at least 4 lanes all the way to my knowledge. Stay out of the left lane!
And yes, using engine to brake on downhills--I even had to do it in a van.
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:45 PM

We too have a 30' fifth wheel and travel all over Colorado. If you have a gas truck you will be able to use your engine to help brake. If you have a diesel truck and plan to do a lot of mountain driving then I would suggest you invest in an exhaust brake. Detailed info on mountain grades can be found in The Western Mountain Directory for Trucks and RV's. (There is an eastern edition too.)Also go to the RV.net forums for help from RV'ers. Colorado is a beautiful state!
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:55 PM

I always love it when someone tells, or I was told, a friend of a friend, etc. That is nuts. I-70 is modern interstate system built to the existing code for grade. Long heavy trucks use it all the time include tandem trucks. The only somewhat steep portion is the climb over Vail pass, other than that is is pretty flat. The west side of the tunnel has a long, nearly straight downhill run that can be a little hard with heavy loads. But there are not a lot sharp curves either. The only somewhat sharp curve is just prior to Idaho Springs as you are entering the mountains just after Floyd's hill but you will not know Floyd's hill since it is not on the map. If you can drive across Kansas or Nebraska with that rig you will be fine in the mountains.