Regan Natl Airport to Radisson Barcello

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving on a Wednesday afternoon and plan a stay in DC at the Radisson Barcello. What would be the quickest way to the hotel and best price?
I plan to have one piece of luggage only, albeit probably NOT a carry-on since I am staying 5 days.

Since our hotel is on/near Dupont Circle-is it a very far walk from the metro if we go that way instead of a taxi?

Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:31 AM

Take the Metro; if you're arriving at rush hour, it could be faster than a cab as well as cheaper!

The maps at Stationmaster.com are great for looking up DC hotels (see the hotels link on the left side of the home page) to see what's in the area -- including the nearest Metro and how far it is.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:32 AM

sorry, that's stationmasters.com One stationmaster can't do it all by himself.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:00 AM

This one is easy - from the airport take the Blue line (direction Largo) to Metro Center, where you transer to the Red Line (direction Shady grove) to Dupont Circle. From there it is just a couple blocks walk to the Barcelo.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:51 AM

I agree with others, I just want to add. Please don't stand in the doorway of the subway car or block others from moving around be placing your luggage in the way.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:05 AM

Yes, Metro is certainly cheapest($1.35 normal hours or $1.85 between 3-7 p.m.) and a little less than 30 minutes door to door. However, if you are landing after 4:00 pm, then I would consider a taxi anyway (less than $15 and mostly against traffic - about 15 to 30 minutes depending on traffic).
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:13 AM

You can take whatever Metro train arrives first at the airport, Blue or Yellow.

If it is Blue (towards Largo) get off and transfer to the Red line towards Shady Grove at Metro Center.

If the Yellow line arrives first , then take it towards Mt Vernon and transfer to the Red line at Gallery/Chinatown.

When I am hauling luggage I have found it's easier to use the handicapped turnstile because it is wider.

The Barcelo is not far from the Metro. The escaltor ride at the Dupont station there is dizzying!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:06 AM

I think National has the reputation for the most convenient public transit access in the Country. I can't think of another airport where using the Subway is so convenient. You can be off the plane and on the Subway in like 7 minutes tops.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, and again, SORRY for the double post, my fault.
Our plan arrives at 3pm, if it is on time.
So I guess we'll make decision when we arrive but metrorail sounds like the way to go. I will have just one piece of luggage as my stay is for 4 days.
Do we take the metrorail also to see the sights, or does the trolley go near the metro rail stations? I thought maybe the trolley just goes from monument, smithsonian, etc and stayed away from the metrorail stations...
Thanks again!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Oh yeah,

and I spelled Reagan wrong.........

I didn't see a way to 'edit' the post as I "posted" it before I "previewed" it!

Some days I AM ALL BLONDE !
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:04 PM

Here's the website for the trolley run by the National Park Service:

http://www.tourmobile.com/

There are three ticket booths, but the only one at a Metro station is at Union Station. I suggest you Metro to Union Station and get your passes and start the ride from there.

You could also just walk the monuments: Take Metro to Arlington Cemetary and then walk across the Memorial Bridge to the Lincoln Memorial. From there, it's a close walk to FDR, Jefferson, Vietnam, WWII. If you get tired of walking, just walk over to Constitution Ave. get a cab to the Smithsonian or whereever.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:56 AM

I do this cab ride a lot because I stay across the street from the Barcelo. The fare is generally about 22-25 dollars and you avoid schlepping luggage on the metro and hurting your back...well worth it in my humble opinion!