National airport to Dupont circle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyon recommend the Best way to get from National to Radisson Hotel with a family of 5? We are staying a week, so there will be suitcases. I could see us attempting the metro, but not really. If there are taxis that are vans, that is a possibility. Not sure of a shuttle, or a limo. Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SuperShuttle offers a van service into DC from National.

If no one has mobility issues, why not take the Metro? I only ask because you seem to be vacillating a bit about public transport.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on the time of day of course, you'd be boarding uncrowded metro cars.The view crossing the Potomac is neat but then you go underground.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Hmmmm. Five is a crowd and with luggage, you would need something more than the typical sedan, for sure. Worst case scenario would be taking two cabs, which would probably run about $35 for both (not each).

It's actually cheaper to do that than it would be to take the SuperShuttle, ($12 for the first passenger plus $8 for each additional comes to $50 for five people.)

The Metro is obviously cost-effective at $6.75 - $9.25 for all of you; ($1.35 to $1.85 per person, depending on the time of day.) I take it all the time, but I agree that it's not a necessarily a great option with a week's worth of luggage. A transfer is required and it's also a couple of blocks walk from the Dupont Circle station to the Radisson. (Throw in a little rain and you have the makings of a miserable start to the festivities!)

So in summary, I think I'd save the metro for other purposes and give yourself a break on the way in from the airport. A BIG cab would be the cheapest, but two cabs is an option. Skip the SuperShuttle. The premium over the Metro for the taxi route will be compensated by the avoided hassles and the nice start.

If you can wrangle a limo for something reasonable, you can rationalize it to a degree. (I'm just not familiar with what they cost in Washington DC for airport transportation.)
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:19 AM

Avoid SuperShuttle. It's awful. Just take a taxi--you will see minivan taxis at the airport. Might have to wait, but it shouldn't be long.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:44 AM

I agree - there are minivan taxis but they can't jump the line. If you don't see any minivan taxis waiting in line, just spring for two taxis (about $15 each).
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 10:06 AM

If the "mix" of ages is such that two could take the Metro, then three can get a taxi & haul EVERYONE'S luggage to the hotel, while the other 2 take the Metro ... and maybe even beat you to the hotel.

I would favor getting on a YELLOW (to Mt Vernon Sq) changing to a RED (to Shady Grove) transferring at Gallery Place because of fewer stops. If you board a BLUE line (to Addison Rd), then transfer to the RED (to Shady Grove) at Metrocenter Station.