Red Sox tickets, hotel & tips, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to surprise my husband with his dream trip - Amtrak to Boston, see the Red Sox play at Fenway. My one and only visit to Boston was at least 15 years ago, so I need all the help I can get. April 17 & 18 would work for our schedule and both are day games, a plus. Of course the games are sold out on the official site. Other than Stub Hub, does anyone have a recommendation for a site to buy tickets? Also would appreciate advice on seating, which sections do you recommend? What seats should be avoided? I'd like to keep the price under $200 per ticket, but it's his dream & I'll pay more if needed. I'd also consider going to both games & sitting in crummy seats for one if the price is right.

Recommendations for hotels within easy walking distance & the info about which Amtrak station is nearest would also be great. Any special or historic hotels nearby? Or we'd be happy with a Marriott, Sheraton or something along those lines. Any other suggestions for the trip appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM

Lots of people buy tickets on StubHub without problems - but there are always some stories about counterfeit tickets, etc - not as likely for the games you are considering. There is some added protection in buying from a ticket broker rather than an individual (which is what StubHub is) - we use Ace Tickets (they have website by same name) - just looked at tickets for Sat game and there are some nice tickets in the $65 each range. They have a small office a block from Fenway so you can even pick up tickets day of game. Fenway Park is so small that most sections, including bleachers are fine. Main ones to avoid are GS (grandstand) 2, 3, 4 in right field since seats face in a weird direction. There is an advantage to being in Grandstand rather than higher priced seats in that most of them are under cover - an issue in April when it could be rainy. At that time of year I would not spring for roofbox or similar seats - you will freeze to death.

You might consider going to one game and spending a bit of time seeing more of Boston - but that would be a personal choice. Seems both games would be in your budget. Be aware that you will not be able to bring large bags/luggage into Fenway, so that may be an issue if you are leaving Sunday.

Where to stay - depends on whether you are doing 1 or 2 games. If going to only 1 I would not stay near Fenway but in Back Bay/Copley/Faneuil Hall area instead. I mention these "zones" since Priceline might be worth a shot here. Same applies to Amtrak station - Back Bay station is likely to be most convenient to hotel.

Lots of posts on things to do in Boston - so I will limit my comments to Fenway. It will be COLD at the game, even though afternoon games and even if sunny and relatively warm that day. Think winter clothing - including hats and gloves. Food within Park is worse than usual stadium food - so if you want something other than a cold hotdog, eat first (although they continue to expand their menu selections). Beer is not sold at the seats - so for watered down overpriced beer, you have to leave your seats.

In the 8th inning they play old Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline" and everyone sings - strange tradition. When Kevin Youkilis is up to bat, they are not booing him, but saying "Yoooook". Most fans will be very knowledgeable and passionate about the game - do not even think of rooting for Toronto.

Enjoy the game and Boston.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 07:47 PM
yk

There is a Marriott at Copley, as well as a Sheraton next to Prudential. Both are in the Back Bay area. If you take Amtrak, you can get off at Back Bay station and walk to either hotel.

From Marriott or Sheraton, it's about a 15-20 minute walk to Fenway.

If you don't mind spending a bit more, the Hotel Commonwealth at Kenmore is very nice. It's a 5-min walk to Fenway.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM

you do know that's marathon weekend, right? Patriots Day is Monday, April 19th, and the running of the Boston Marathon. Hotels will be expensive, and very booked.

If you do get tickets, bring warmer clothes than you think you need. It gets very cold in Fenway in April.

When you are looking at seats use this website: http://www.preciseseating.com/index.php to check the view from the specific seats. This will help you avoid the ones with the worst post obstructions. this can be a definite issue with grandstand seats. you can expect the supports to block at least part of the view, you just want to make sure its not the pitchers mound!
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 04:05 AM

chinacat brings up a point I missed - Marathon Weekend changes a lot of things. Monday is a state holiday and some hotels right in Boston may have minimum stays for that weekend and will be mroe expensive. Did not know about website she mentiones - I would certainly check that out if you buy tickets on StubHub; Ace Tickets will tell you when you order if they are obstructed view - which is marked on any ticket that has an obstruction of any kind blocking any part of the playing field - sometimes it matters, sometimes not. Most Grandstand seats are fine - but make sure you know.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM
yk

Oooh, that's a good point re: Patriots Day & Marathon weekend! Have you checked for hotel availability? I'm sure most of the hotels in the Back Bay area are fully booked...
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

I did not realize it was Marathon weekend, that explains why the hotels I looked at are booked. Gail, thanks for the Ace Tickets suggestion - I'll go with them. Also appreciate suggestions about sections to stay away from. On our previous & long ago visit we took a Fenway tour, I remember it's a small park but not enough specifics so those suggestions are a big help. Guess I'll do a bit more of a hotel search, if I can't find something suitable maybe we'll move this trip back to the summer. Does the marathon route go anywhere near Fenway?
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 07:00 AM

I would move the trip back to the summer to really enjoy it. I love Boston and Marathon weekend is fun but it is extremely crowded everywhere and tough to move around.

Gail, gave you the advice about sections to avoid. Do not sit in those sections unless you are a chiropractor or contortionist.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 07:13 AM
yk

The marathon route goes about 1 block from Fenway - they come down Beacon Street, with the finishing line right at Copley Sq.

You might have better luck looking for hotels in the Faneuil Hall/Waterfront area, or try Cambridge (Kendall or Harvard)
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM

I will add though, that if you did find a hotel and stay through Monday, going to the Sox game on Monday morning is great fun. Its the only baseball game that scheduled to start at 11AM, which means it ends right around the time the first runners are crossing the finish line. you can stroll out of the park and go watch the runners coming by. It's a great day. But the tix will be at a premium.

the precise seating website I listed above is really amazing. The Red Sox are NOT forthcoming about which seats are really obstructed view. Only the very worst ones are actually marked as such. And if you use redsox.com's "view from the seats" feature, they have edited out the posts! I have had seats where one post covers the pitchers mound, the other covers home plate. They are not marked as obstructed view, but you can't see the most interesting part of the game.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all who responded to my OP! We'll go later in the spring or summer to avoid the Marathon. That's OK, more time to research & plan. I think we'll stay at the Hotel Commonwealth, thanks yk for that suggestion.

Now I have to find another trip for that April week, hmmmmm..... Maybe Chicago, he also wants to attend a game at Wrigley Field.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
yk

KatieR, the best time to visit Boston, IMHO, would be early June. May is a crazy month here due to dozens of college commencements and it'll be impossible to find hotel rooms for under $300-$400/night. Early to mid-June usually is less crowded (tourists start coming towards end of June all the way thru Sept), and weather is fairly mild.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, yk, great suggestion. Early June sounds perfect, usually not a good time for me to get away from work but I'm going to try. Otherwise we'll have to brave the tourist crowd in the summer months.

Chicago & Wrigley Field are looking good for April. The plan now moves Fenway Park to June (1st choice) or later in the summer.