Red Rock & Hoover Dam Day Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have a rental car...if we get out early is it possible to do these both in a day? I figure 3 hours at the Dam is enough and the rest at Red Rock. Also, Valley of Fire doesn't look far either (instead of red rock) but I'm looking at a map so hard to tell. We understand we'll just be getting a taste...we are limited on time so that is fine...if anybody has done both in a day, let me know...thanks
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:03 AM

We did the Hoover dam tour this past summer, when crowds were pretty heavy, and the total time we were there was 1.5-2.0 hours. So with drive time, you should def. be able to do both.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Yes, I did both of these as a day trip with a car. We didn't spend too much time at the Hoover Dam because it was a month after Sept 11 and they still had it mostly closed for security reasons, but still...that gave us time to slowly drive through Red Rock canyon and get out and walk around a bit.

It's a great day trip!

Karen
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't part of Hoover Dam still closed for security? I'd heard that the tour was no longer worth it since you don't see half of what they used to show.

Also, anyone know if the tram is running between Monte Carlo & Bellagio?
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Just did the Hoover Dam tour on Thursday. With the drive and time spent at the dam, we were gone a total of about 4 hours or so.

We both thought the tour was a waste, though it was awesome to see the dam in person. I think the tour was $10, and for that you get a short slide-show presentation, followed by a trip down into the generating station portion of the dam (not actually inside the concrete structure though). You also get access to an exhibit area with a movie and access to an observation tower. Views from the tower were no more impressive than from the ground though.

You'll probably want to do the tour once, because I'm sure everyone feels differently about it, but I would not do it again.

And no, there was no tram between Monte Carlo and Bellagio last week while I was there.