Search

Red Lodge Ski Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Lodge Ski Trip

Hi there -

The BF and I are headed to Red Lodge, Montana for a ski/sightsee trip the first week in March. We'll have at least two days (a mid-week day and maybe a Saturday) to spend doing something *other* than skiing. We might stay overnight in Big Sky and do some skiing there.

Any suggestions on must-do drives, museums, activities, etc, to do while we're in that area? I'd love to do some sort of hot springs, but I can't seem to find any that are fairly close by. We've done the Yellowstone thing, so we'll probably skip that this time around.

Any help's appreciated... thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM

I have no information for you. Our trip to Red Lodge is in Sept. Please post a trip report!!! Happy travels.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Chico Hot Springs in Paridise Valley is nice. Good restaurant, bar and hot springs.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM

If you did the Chico Hot Springs you could also include a dog sled trip that leaves from Chico. www.extrememontana.com would be something different.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM

I also think Chico would be fun.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM

Right outside of Red Lodge, about 6 miles or so, is another tiny little town, Bear Creek that has an "old time" saloon and pig races that are a fun time. I don't know if March is too early or not, it might be.

Bear Tooth pass will definately be closed, no hope for that, but the little town of Red Lodge is a great little town to explore.

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM

Is the old time saloon the Grizzly?
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! Looks like we'll be heading to Chico for a little overnight excursion (that is, of course, unless there's a big snowfall out there - the "powder pig" I'm heading out with would never forgive me

cmcfong- Look for a trip report when we get back in two weeks...
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Although I'm pretty darn late with a trip report - I'm putting together my picture files and thought I'd just let you know how it went.

We never made it to Chico Hot Springs - sure enough, we had a couple powder days, and ended up skiing our brains out.

Brief summary: Big Sky was, of course, stunningly gorgeous. I took lessons both days I was there. (The second day I paid for a group lesson, but was the only one IN the group - sweet deal!) We stayed at the base lodge for ski in/ski out. The outdoor hot tub was one of my favorite parts of the trip - I've never sat in a steaming jacuzzi while catching snowflakes on my tongue and pulling icicles off my bangs. I wasn't super impressed with the restaurants at Big Sky, but then again, you don't go there to eat. I did enjoy walking around Bozeman (cool Montana college town) on our way to the mountain.

The next couple days we spent at Red Lodge. Bluebird days for skiing, and I got a chance to hang out in town, too. Highlights include dinner at Bridge Creek and jewelry shopping at Red Raven (gorgeous Native American turquoise/silver/opal pieces - I get something every year!) Also - cmcfong, if you're still out there - Grizzly Bar (aka "The Griz") is a great time. Very local, great steaks, and the fireplace was roaring.

All in all - a hell of a way to spend a week
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 02:50 AM

Yep, still out here and loving your report! I am getting more excited about this trip every day. Sounds like it will be wonderful. Thanks for posting.