Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Reasonable Accommodation for 1Month-Stay on Oahu, Hawaii - any help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

I am making plans for a 1-month-surf-stay on oahu end of this year and i am looking for a resonable accommodation.
Frankly, the usual suspects like hotels and hostels won't do it, since i can't afford the per-night-price for my whole stay. My budget for the whole month would be 800$ -1000$ for the accommodation.

Anyone has any suggestions or tips..?
i am thankfull for every help i can get.. its not easy to plan something like this from half around the world..

cheers
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:05 AM

For $1000 a month, you're looking at $33/night (not including tax). Aside from camping or couch surfing (couchsurfing.com), I have no idea how you'd make that budget work.

If end of year includes holidays, then you're also talking about trying to find insanely inexpensive lodging during peak holiday travel.

Good luck...will be curious to see if others have ideas that would work for you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

i can adjust the budget still... to maybe 1500 - 1800$... but thats pretty much the very top end of what i can budget for that right now...
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:13 AM

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/vac/2230495130.html

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/vac/2227997859.html

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/vac/2226750760.html
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Where on Oahu do you want to stay? In Honolulu/Waikiki or somewhere else?

If you stretch the budget to the later figure of $50-60/night you can easily get into one of the Waikiki hostels at that price. Or the 'category 3' rooms at www.royalgrovehotel.com
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

since i plan to rent a car, i am mobile... and since oahu isn't that big, i can get around pretty well by car, can't i?

so i am flexibel concerning the place of stay.. its mainly a question of finding a good place....

well, i guess, waikiki and honolulu are the "party"-places, aren't they..? dunno how hard it is to find places to stay throughout the time i would want to come...

thanks for the tips so far, folks...!
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 05:01 AM
cd

You could do a search on hostels.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 06:30 AM

Honolulu is a city, Waikiki is the beach there. They are busy places but not necessarily "party". Just depends where you hang out and what you choose to do once you're there. Yes it is where most of the available lodging on the island is located. It's very easy to find a place to stay there, because there are lots of options. Your budget would cover a hostel, there's several of them.

OR you could look up on the North Shore (where the surfing happens). You could try to find an independent rental, like a room-share or on Craigs List. Certainly there is stuff like that around.

Yes if you are renting a car you can get around easily. You're right, the island is not that large.

You might find a guidebook handy (Fodor's or Oahu Revealed) or you can wait & pick up maps after you arrive. There's plentiful free tourist information once you're in Waikiki (Oahu Gold, 101 Things To Do are good ones).
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 09:03 AM

Well, if you're planning to come at the end of this year for a surf trip, I assume you are planning to surf the North Shore? The south shore is not consistent and all that great at that time of year, though lots of people do continue to surf the south shore in winter.

Staying somewhere closer to central Oahu or on the north side would be more convenient for surfing if you're planning to primarily hit the North shore. Staying in the Waikiki area is more convenient for the south shore and would give you greater choices of restaurants and nightlife (if that's a consideration).

The drive from town to the North Shore can be a bit much with all the traffic if you're going to be doing it often.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM

For example, here's one hostel right in Waikiki w/rates $28 + tax per person for dorm rooms. It's at the White Sands/Hawaiian King (two hotels next door to each other).
www.hostelsinhawaii.com
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks a lot, again, for all the help...!

i now know way better what to look for...
i was realy into the unknown bevore, but got a fair picture now...

cheers everybody...

P.S. - if anybody still got something to add, feel free!
(especially if you know something good concerning surfing)