Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaii - August/5 days/moderate budget: HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daughter and I want to go to Hawaii, but we only have about 5 days, are flying from Texas, and have a mid range budget. We want a really nice, beautiful hotel with gorgeous views and close to interesting things to do. We are not hikers/snorkelers due to med. issues. I know it seems impossible, but if someone can recommend which island and where, hotel, must see activities and sights, really yummy restaurants -- we would be forever grateful. We don't get to travel much! Thank you! P.S. Do you even think we can go this late? We have to go first two weeks in August. (I know!)
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Oahu or Maui would probably be best for you.

Lots of good hotel deals right now.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands. You can read many of the brochures online.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM

It would help if you said exactly what you are interested in doing. Any hiking? Drive by scenery? View some turtles/fishes from land ( or wade in just a bit??) Shopping?

Just from the info above, I think I'd recommend Oahu. Many sites to see & good restaurants. 5 nights is not a lot & going to Oahu would save you a bit of transfer time to another island. We spent a week there & wasn't able to cover the whole island.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 02:12 PM

dusty, I was posting while you were, I think. And, joslin88, dusty's your man if you choose Oahu. He's got many helpful links & info about the island.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM

I also believe that Oahu is your best choice. If you give some ideas of what you want to do other than hiking/snorkeling, you might get more specific recommendations. Are you nature people? Adventurous? Enjoy history? Do the medical issues include mobility issues?

Will you be renting a car?

I don't normally recommend staying in Honolulu/Waikiki, but if you want to go budget style, that is probably the best choice since that's where the hotels are. Staying elsewhere would be with a vacation rental or an expensive resort. Vacations rentals can be cheaper than hotels, especially if you are parking a car, but it might be difficult to find one with availability this late in the game. It can be done though. I'd start with www.vrbo.com if you wanted to go that route.

A better definition of mid-range budget could probably also help with more specific recommendations. What I consider a mid-range budget in Texas is not the same as a mid-range budget in Hawaii. Offering a dollar range that doesn't include your airfare cost will help.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel and The Ilikai Hotel are at $119, Hawaii Prince is at $135. Looks like August 12th is the cheapest day to fly by about $150 per person....if you can go that late.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Our budget is about $1000 per person for hotel for about 6 days/5 nights. Our priorities for hotel are: natural beauty/views, hotel activities (spa, or lagoon, etc.), safety. We like (and are able to do) beach reading/laying, some history, some nature, some shopping, light physical activities that are guide/hotel led (kayaking/snorkeling in a small contained area), fish/turtle watching. And, somewhere want to find the best luau experience. Not asking for much, eh?
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Based on your updated information, I'm going to change my recommendation to Maui and I think the Kaanapali Beach Hotel is a great value and in your budget. They are currently running a promotion that will help you save even more. The property is lovely, is right on the beach, and has a pool/hot tub on property (but no spa or lagoon). They like to incorporate some of the history and Hawaiian tradition in your experience and the warmth of the staff in making you feel like family is like nothing I've experienced at any other hotel. They have free shows each night on property and a great schedule of activities to participate in. (Go to http://hawaiiculture.com/Main/Home/Home.aspx to read about their schedule of activities and shows.) The first morning you are there, do go to the breakfast presentation they do - it's just to give you some ideas of things you can do and to give you a few tips - like ocean safety...and the breakfast is delicious even if you already have all your activities planned.

Their website is www.kbhmaui.com. The special that they have right now is on the Internet Specials page. You have to book by the end of this month, but that shouldn't be an issue as it sounds like you are ready to book now.

With the "Maui Getaway Sale," 5 nights would be $1289 plus tax and would include your partial oceanview room (I think they all have patio/balcony), car, breakfast every day, one dinner, daily bottled water, and other discounts. That's really a great deal for the Kaanapali Beach area on Maui.

The building that our room was in did not have an elevator, but others do...So if medical issues make a difference there, make sure you let the staff know.

Activities that you sign up for on all of the islands are pricey (I generally plan for $50-$100 per person). You can book them through the hotel or on your own. I don't have any price comparisons there, so I don't know whether one is better than the other.

There is a boardwalk (beachside sidewalk path) that goes from the KBH past a condo/hotel property or two down to Whaler's Village which is an outdoor shopping area. Most shopping in Hawaii is expensive and Whaler's Village is no exception, but is great for at least window shopping...and some restaurants. You are also not too far of a drive from Lahaina where there are many more shops and restaurants - some possibly a little more affordable. A lot of the guided boat trips also leave from Lahaina.

The Sheraton is next door to the KBH and they do a nightly sunset tiki torch lighting and ceremonial cliff diving show (free) that is good to watch once. They also have a sort of lagoon area...So if you are just wanting to look, it's right next door.

The rooms in the KBH have a small fridge, so you can always store leftovers from lunches and have for dinners (or vice versa) - or pick up a few groceries - cutting costs on your meals. When going budget style, I tend to purchase the lunch (which usually costs less) and save some for dinners, so I love having the mini fridge. Plus, it's great for storing bottled water or other drinks.

There is actually great snorkeling right from the shore in front of the Sheraton. You can rent gear at Maui Dive Shop in Whaler's Village and snorkel from shore. The water was pretty rough when we were there, but I think it tends to be less rough there during the summer (we went during the winter). We did do a little snorkeling and saw one turtle.

For a great luau, I would look at The Feast at Lele. It's not too far away in Lahaina. It's not the traditional luau ambiance, so depending on whether that is a good or bad thing in your mind is whether this is right for you. You are served your food (which has good reviews) rather than going through a buffet line for low quality food. You would need to call ASAP and check dates because they book up in advance. You don't have to pay in advance and can always call and cancel. Website is www.feastatlele.com

Depending on the medical issues, sea kayaking may be a bit too strenuous. I wouldn't consider it to be light physical activity.

Oh...And Whaler's Village also has free activities and a nightly free shows...Check their website at www.whalersvillage.com and go to Events and Activities.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM

You can almost do hotel AND AIR for $1000 per person. No problem. Pack your bags! Then give us a couple of days and sit back while we do the rest for you. You must be back in Texas by what date? And what is your Texas airport?
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Take a look at HawaiiGaga.com. They have a questionaire you can use to help decide which island best suits you. And vrbo.com has great deals, directly thru the owner. Prices have been low due to the bad economy, so now's a good time to look. And keep surfing airfare prices, too. I was able to book a flight from Newark, NY to Honolulu for $476 just a few weeks ago. The prices fluctuate. I went directly to Continental.com & checked the price a few times each day. The day I book, the price had been $610, but I tried once more on a whim in the evening and it had dropped significantly.

Also, do some looking around Tripadvisor.com. They have traveler reviews of most of the places you can stay/see/eat, etc.

Good luck & have a blast in Paradise!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 04:49 AM

desperately looking for airfare from richmond, PHF or norfolk for late October.....anyone have any thoughts as to whether rates may go down in Sept? Im guessing yes...need 9 tickets....thanks for any opinions
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 04:49 AM

that was to HNL thanks
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would suggest Maui, around the Lahaina area for the things you describe.

Second choice for you would be Waikiki/Honolulu area on Oahu.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM

I think the Kaanapali Beach Hotel would be a good choice for you, too.

itsmlf, just keeping checking daily on fares. I was able to get roundtrip tickets from Atlanta to Honolulu for $234 plus tax ($276 total) per person on Continental. This sale only lasted a few hours, so you have to be constantly watching. Sign up for travel emails, newsletters, etc.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Wow! Great job samsaf!
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:05 AM

divine, yes, I couldn't believe it when I saw that fare listed. I immediately called my husband and we determined a date (May 2010), and then we went ahead and booked the tickets. By the time I got home from work that afternoon, those same tickets were $897 each.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Sorry -- it was on United, not Continental.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Wow, lucky you Samsaf! Those fares don't last long!