planning our fist trip

Jul 5th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

planning our fist trip

thanks for the reply and any other who may reply in the future
Please let me try to do this this way
Mom and Dad want to take daughter to Hawaii for High school graduation (this would be a surprise)
For those of you that live there, If you were planning your first trip to the state, which island would you go to, where would you stay, what would you see.

We like to stay at a resort, we are on a budget, we like to sight see, we like moderate hiking nothing major, we want to sit on the beach and sit by the pool just your average vacation with some sight seeing and some relaxing, with maybe some activities at the resort like snorkeling windsailing etc.

I know this may sound like a lot, but believe me I am cluless.
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM

How many days will you be staying? Where will you be flying from?

The island/islands you visit will depend on the amount of time you plan to spend in Hawaii.

To get a sense of Hawaii, I think you need to visit more than one island. For sheer beauty, I would visit Kauai. For history, I would visit Oahu. For relaxation and beautiful beaches, I would visit Maui. There is tons of hiking on all of the islands. Whichever island you visit, I suggest exploring on your own.

Jul 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Sounds like a great idea! How long do you want to stay, and what is your budget?

Your daughter may not want to spend a lot of time sitting by the pool and on the beach. When you tell her you're going to Hawaii, give her a guidebook or something so she can find things she wants to do. Maybe you can make up some kind of fun package for her with a Hawaiian music CD, guidebook, etc.

Lee Ann
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM

More to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

Maui would be more relaxing still with a lot of things to see & do.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34812564
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM

I would seriously consider O'ahu. The air fare will be a big chunk of your expense, and it is often cheapest to fly into Honolulu. There are so many hotels in Waikiki that it shouldn't be too hard to find one that fits your budget. Waikiki is a really fun area with a great beach. You can get around Honolulu by bus, and then rent a car for the days you want to go out and see the rest of the island. You will find historic and cultural sites, wonderful beaches, snorkeling, hikes, all on O'ahu.

I think this is a wonderful surprise you are planning for your daughter...she will remember the trip for the rest of her life.
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:10 PM

Well I am not a Hawaiian resident but I have been to Oahu three times and Maui one time fairly recently.

I would pick Oahu for the first trip and a hotel in Waikiki. It is the most budget friendly imo with the greatest amount of things to see and do. You can get by without a rental car on Oahu and use public transportation to get around.
Jul 6th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Most of the " resorts " in Hawaii aren't exactly budget friendly unless your budget is over $300 a night.
While there are lower cost hotels and condos avaiable on all four of the main islands i agree with Oahu first.
Oahu has some of the best beaches and the Kailua-Lanikai Beach has been on the Travel Channels top ten every year.
The top surfing beaches Pipeline, Sunset and Waimea on the Northshore and Makaha on the west also on Oahu will be calmer during the summer.
Another budget helper with the airfares and fees is the time you book May and early June are generally lower than from mid-June thru August.
Something else that may appeal to you is Lost was filmed on Oahu and tours offered and many films as well.
Jul 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Please tell us more about what you might want to do and what kind of budget you are talking about. Many resorts are a bit expensive so you may want to consider a condo.

Our first trip to the islands was to Oahu. There is so much history and so many things to do. We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki and found it to be a great facility.

Since then we have been to Maui, Big Island and Kauai.

Now our trips are to Kauai every year. We love the natural beauty of the island and how laid back everything is.
Jul 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM

I think it really depends where beb91 and her family are coming from.

Being from So Cal, I would not be impressed with Oahu (with the exception of historically significant monuments, like Arizona Memorial, etc.) or Waikiki Beach, since the commotion there reminds me of our Venice Beach, and Malibu, Oxnard, Santa Barbara, etc. beaches are much more impressive than the narrow strip of sand of Waikiki Beach.

I would need to get away to an outer island where the energy is much slower and there are lots less people than in my hometown. This would mean a Hawaii experience for me, but that is just me.

Of course, if beb91 do not live near ocean cities, and if the trip is all about DD, then perhaps a visit to Arizona Memorial, Punchbowl Cemetery, shopping opportunities, one of those swinging from the tree tops tours, plus a good variety of budget oriented hotels, could all be easier had on Oahu than on an outer island.

Anna Roz

Jul 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
jcn

If you like the city, choose to stay on Oahu at Waikiki. There will be plenty for you all to do and see there. If you prefer the more laid back style and want to see the "real" Hawaii, you need to visit Kauai!
Jul 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM

I don't live there, but here is my 2 cents. My teen loved Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu which I booked for $200 a night on Orbitz. He thought he had died and gone to heaven. There is a mini shopping mall, Benihanas, beach, pizza shops, etc and etc on the grounds. We were upgraded to the Alei'i tower and it had a private swimming pool and snacks at 5pm every day on the second floor. Surf lessons at the far end of the beach a few blocks from the zoo (parking on the street is free there) are half the price of what they are at the resorts at and near the HHV and the waves are oh so much better and closer to shore. But Oahu IS urban in many places and not as much solitude and raw beauty as you will find on Maui. My teen votes for Maui - likes the action - my husband and younger son vote for the beauty and solitude of Maui.
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:57 AM

You mean your teen votes for Oahu, right?