Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Evening and night time temperatures in Santa Fe and Taos

Jul 7th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

What are typical evening and night time temperatures in Santa Fe and Taos in mid-September?

We are wondering how warmly (or otherwise!) we might need to dress for evenings out.

Thanks
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Average nighttime temps in Santa Fe and Taos in mid Sept--high 40s to low 50s. Take a sweater or light jacket for evenings out.
Jul 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM

Sorry, but Taos will be more like low 40's and Santa Fe only a bit higher. I don't think low 50's a likely. It could also dip into 30's at that time of year.

It is cold at night in Sept. Mid Sept can also bring first snows to elevations so I would be sure to include warm clothes.

Dressing in layers in NM is always the way to go. A scarf might be good. A fleece jacket or vest. Gloves even. Sweatshirt, sweater... you get the idea.

Will you be walking from a car into a restaurant or out for longer times? That would also help you decide.

Restaurants will have patio heaters on if you choose to dine outside, but once you leave the circle of warmth, you will be cold.

I guess it also depends on where you live. If you are from FL it will feel colder, if you are from Alaska it won't be so bad.

Deb
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:59 AM

i was wondering the same thing, but for market week, mid/late august in santa fe & taos. i know it gets hot but is it really that hot? trying to decide how to pack and plan our daytime activities. thanks
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM

It's warm so shorts and short-sleeved shirt works for us. I like layers as once the sun starts to go down it cools very quickly. Pants are in order then. Temps were high 80's but dry so for us but we're used to humid temperatures and it wasn't that bad.

Drink lots of water and wear a hat.

Have a great time at the market!
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM

July and August are our wettest months if we aren't having a drought. And this year looks wet.

Pack raingear - umbrella, poncho etc. It is monsoon season [till end of August] and it has been raining LOTS in the afternoons [and even longer than that] this past week.

Mid 80's are normal temps during the day and it really cools off when the sun goes down. 20+ degree drops are typical.

Jackets, slacks, long sleeves for evenings.

Dress in layers, it always works here.

As Beachgirl said, if you are not used to the dry - it will not feel as uncomfortable due to lack of huimidity. But be sure to acclimate to the altitude and keep hydrated. Drink {water} BEFORE you are thirsty and watch alcohol consumption.

Deb

Jul 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM

thanks! i was nervous it was going to be hot hot hot, but 80 we can definitely handle. i heard it doesn't really rain all day, just little storms that come in... is that true? just need to pack correctly. from santa fe we are driving up to durango colorado... would you say the climate is similar? i know i must sound silly with these questions, but i'm a new yorker!
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM

LOL! I was a NYer before moving to SW in 2001.

Durango will be pretty much the same; a bit hotter perhaps.

Typically, the rains comes in during the late afternoons and is really heavy, dark and usually fast moving.

It has not been like that this go round; it has been more like several hours to almost the entire day.

Unlike NY, when the rain stops it will NOT be like a sauna outside! The air will clean and fresh and wonderful smelling and there won't be the muggy feel after a NY rain in August.

Durango is great, I live nearby now [after living 5 years in Albuquerque]. You'll love it here.
Deb