Search

Really cheap hotel in NewYork, anywhere

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really cheap hotel in NewYork, anywhere

Hi there
I have to be out of my apartment in New York one day before I leave. I am looking for a really cheap hotel for the one night. It can be anywhere, no need to be close to attractions. I was looking for hotels in Queens or the Bronx, but not really finding much. Where do you find a cheap bed? We are a lot of people, children included, so a hostel would probably be more expensive than a hotel, since you pay per person and not per room.

Thanks for any help.

Anne
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM

One day before you leave for where? Is it possible to stay somewhere on the way? An airport hotel if you're flying out; a hotel in Stamford or other points north if you're headed that way?
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:47 PM

It is hard to tell if your problem is that you will be losing your home and cannot afford a temporary place, or if you do have resources. If the former, you can contact the city's department of housing. They have a list of family shelters. There is nothing to be ashamed of - it is not charity if you have to use temporarily use something that you have been paying for with your taxes.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We leave from JFK. But is airport hotels not more expensive, generally than hotels in suburbs? It is only one night, so although I do not want to spend too much, I guess you can afford to pay for one night.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Give priceline a try and see what you can get. Or www.hotels.com, www.travelocity.com, www.hotwire.com to name just a few.
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Priceline won;t work since they are a "lot" - I don;t know how many that is - of people. And Priceline allows only 2 people per room.'

There are some very inexpensive hotels in Long Island City that are not that far from the city. You would need to check if they have rooms that allow 4 people. Or -if you're JUST flying out the next day the airport hotels are very cheap.

There are also some B&Bs - if you search posts below - but since I don;t know how many you have - or what you consider cheap - it's hard to know what to reco.

And there are no actual hotels in the Bronx - they are either for housing welfare families or rent by the hour.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM

In order to really help you, we need many more details. How many you are, how many hotel rooms you need, what you will be doing on that last day etc.

The Pan American hotel in Queens is "cheap and cheerful", has free shuttle service to both JFK and LGA and is about a 40 min. train or bus ride to Manhattan. What they don't have are rooms for lots of people.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM

panamhotel.com
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:47 PM

What about checking local universities for dorm rooms?
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I had to laugh at myself. We are not THAT many people, 3 adults, 3 kids. It is just that we are more than can fit into a taxi, and hostels would be really expensive even at $40 per person if you multiply by 6.
I do not want to do anything the last day. I lived in New York temporarily and am leaving for my country. So I need to pack and get all my stuff and people to JFK. Proximity to anything other than JFK is not an issue. I live in the Bronx, so a hotel close to where I live would be nice. (Although I have never see one, if it exist).
The panam hotel did not look too bad.
Thanks again for the help.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM

I'm not aware of any real hotels in the Bronx. And no one is going to let you put 6 people in one room - due ot fire laws. You'll have to take either 2 rooms or a suite.

Since all you want is to be near the airport I would call eachof the airport hotels - after checking on trip advisor and ask what rate they can offer you. Also- be sure they have a free shuttle to the airport.