Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > What do do now with priceline.com air ticket??

What do do now with priceline.com air ticket??

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Vicki

What do do now with priceline.com air ticket??

I really made a mistake and have no one to blame but myself....I booked a flight from LAX to JFK on priceline.com. The air fare is OK (not that great but will have to work) but the flight leaves at 7:00am! I guess I was more prepared for a flight after say 9:00am. The problem is that I live 1 3/4 hours from LAX and with needing to check in say 1 1/2 hours early this has me leaving my home by 3:45am. Do you think I could try showing up for a later flight if I'm willing to go stand-by? The flight is on American Airlines which has flights every hour so there are MANY flights through out the day and I'm sure I can get on one. From now on I will only use priceline.com for hotels!! I really blew it and not sure what options (if any) I have?? American Airlines has always been very good to me and is actually my favorite, but this is the first time I've purchased air through priceline.com
Vicki

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:06 AM
xxxxx

Bid for a LAX airport hotel on Priceline.com for the night before your flight and spend the night. Some airlines don't allow Priceline ticketed people to fly standby.

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Sarah

That is it vicky just spend the night at a hotel in the airport. You will be refreshed for your trip. Hotels are fun also, just leave after work the night before your trip. bidding for travel will show you the deals other people got. I would not bid above $50 you can usually find a $60 hotel at the airport especially in summer. Sounds indulgent but I like this option makes you get your act together

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:20 AM
sss

Makes me get my act together. I pack when I am suppose to and I am not rushing to make a plane when I stay in a hotel the night before. I like doing this even if I am leaving at 12pm and the hotel is nearby.

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:21 AM
jabez

Stand bys are for earlier flights. Realistically,your only alternative is a good alarm clock.The good news is that traffic should be okay. But,the airport is crowded at that time (especially week days.Sorry,that's the reason I don't use them for flights (I love them for hotels).

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Sarah

Yeah but Jabez you are missing out then. I got Hawaii from Newark one year for $484. I did have to leave at 6am and from an airport 3 hours away but OH MY LORD THE SAVINGS!!!

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:38 AM
jabez

I do understand that at times the savings can be great. For me,however,I find my time is more important. I usually use Frequent Flyer miles for personal travel. So most of what I'm relating to is business.

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:59 AM
vicki

Maybe I will just have to stay over the night before....I'm so mad at myself for using priceline.com, After paying $50 for a hotel, there goes ALL my savings and then some!! Guess I'll just bite the bullet and consider this a learning experience....and to think I won't even get FF miles.
Thanks!! Vicki

Jul 18th, 2002, 08:06 AM
xxx

you gave up freedom of your flight choice for $50? I usually only bid if I am going to save 100 plus and I usually get much bigger deatl or I just don't bid at all. Yeah you should only bid if it is a BIG savings. They are going to put you on the flight that is not likely to overbook.

Jul 18th, 2002, 08:07 AM
a--z

Unfortunately this is the trade-off for using Priceline. You run the risk of getting an early morning flight and no frequent flyer miles. I've used Priceline twice and on both occassions, it was a trip on short notice (2 wks ahead) and I started out with low bids. I was willing to accept a 'crack of dawn' flight for the savings. As it turned out, I got good times.

Jul 18th, 2002, 08:18 AM
kaye

Last week my family left on an early morning flight from LAX about the same time. We live in Santa Barbara and left at 3AM. While that is a pain, and our two teenagers complained, it was the easiest, most traffic free drive to LAX we've ever had. So, I'd go at that time again. Haven't had good luck with those stay, park and fly deals at LAX. Noisy, not restful, guess I'd rather sleep a while at home, then leave.

Jul 18th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Vicki

Yes, I made a big mistake for sure. I can see why it is good for short notice flights. My fare was not a huge savings because I'm not traveling until September. To add insult to injury, I had forgotten that with priceline.com you don't receive FF miles. Most of my travel is for business where my assistant makes all my flight bookings. I did begin bidding low and was unable to get it for a cheaper price, at least I know I didn't bid too much! I did check fares on other travel sites before hand too. I think when you use priceline.com this far from travel date, it can really work against you. JMO,
Vicki

Jul 18th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Sarah

I booked May 3 for August 12, 00 fare to get Hawaii at $484. I think you just have to be in a position to give up time on day of the flight. I always worry about getting a flight at 2:30 in the afternoon but to date that has not happened. I actually knew that would not happen because I checked the flights out of PHL before I bid. That is the trick to know the worst option that might come your way. I did not bid at a closer airport because there were too many options also I had to get to the Jersey Shore upon return.

I had one friend who in calmer times took her entire family to Israel, high season at $500 a pop direct flight from Newark. The going rate at that time was in the neighborhood of $1000. The flight would not have been a possiblity for the entire family if she did not have that bid accepted.

Jul 18th, 2002, 08:49 AM
sorry

Vicki, sorry it didn't work out the way you'd hoped -- but all the restrictions you are complaining about were laid out for you before you bought that ticket. The point of using priceline is to get such a huge savings that you can justify those restrictions. If you didn't bid low enough, well, you know for next time. Just bite the bullet and stay at the hotel, or get up early.

Jul 18th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Beth

She's already beat herself up enough...no need to add to it.
She also mentioned that she did bid low and was rejected. Live and Learn for all of us. Beth

Jul 18th, 2002, 09:07 AM
xxx

Yeah beth but she is beating herself up about $50 bucks that is not good think sorry thatlife was trying to add perspective.

Jul 18th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Lisa

Vicki,
I had similar. I bid too early for a flight. At the time it was a savings of $140. and I was pleased as punch! Wouldn't you know it, I was later to get an fare-alert from American Airlines that the price had been reduced and I was actually paying about $100 too much!! I was so disappointed! I could have saved $100 and still gotten FF miles! From my experience, I really do agree that priceline.com WILL NOT give you the best air fare when you're bidding too early. I guess it's just the luck of the draw. Sorry for you but wanted to share my story. Sometimes misery loves company. Lisa

Jul 18th, 2002, 09:30 AM
xxx

Come on... just wake up early!!

Jul 18th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Tony

If you're willing to stay at a 3 star hotel at LAX such as the Crowne Plaza, Four Points or Renaissance, those go for between $30 and $40 on Priceline.

Jul 18th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Bill I

While vacationing in Southern California, this past June, our flight out of LAX left at 7am. We stayed at the Sheraton Four Points - LAX the night before. We took the rental car back at 5am, took the car rental shuttle to the airport & was at the airport by 5:30am. At that time of day, was able to go quickly thru security even with carry-on luggage. Not many people there at that time. Although I did notice things pickup at about 6:30 or so - it still wasn't too busy.

Search this Thread